1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Java project help

Discussion in 'Programming & Webmastering' started by Darkleoco, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Darkleoco

Darkleoco

Thanks Received:
    Write a Rectangle class that uses the ClosedInterval class provided (that code is unviewable). An instance of the Rectangle class models a rectangle in the x/y plane. A key feature is that your Rectangle class must represent a rectangle using ClosedInterval objects. We are considering only rectangles whose edges are parallel with the x- and the y-axes. Consider such a rectangle { its horizontal sides project down to the x-axis to a single interval. Similarly its vertical sides both project over to the y-axis as a single interval. Thus, the rectangle can be viewed as the intersection of the region in the x/y plane specified by that y-axis interval intersected with the region in the x/y plane specified by that x-axis interval.
    The Rectangle class must have the following public members. Your class should also have any private fields and private methods that you feel are needed.

1. A constructor that takes two ClosedInterval parameters and initializes the fields of the object as appropriate. The first parameter is the ClosedInterval object that represents the closed interval that is the projection of the Rectangle onto the x-axis. The second parameter is the ClosedInterval object that represents the closed interval that is the projection of the Rectangle onto the y-axis.

I am trying to do this project before midnight EST and am a bit confused by the terminology I have bolded, any simpler explanation of what is being asked would be very helpful as I am striving for an A in my first Java class.

manub says thanks.
  2. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    i think what they mean is that they want your classic rectangle, not something like a parallelogram.

Crunching for Team TPU
  3. Aleksander

Thanks Received:
    too late bro
    you better learn these things yourself, since it is your best friend
    search youtube videos for java, as they will help rapidly

Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  4. Darkleoco

Darkleoco

Thanks Received:
    I feel as if I am just being dense however when it states:

Consider such a rectangle { its horizontal sides project down to the x-axis to a single interval. Similarly its vertical sides both project over to the y-axis as a single interval.

It seems as if it is talking about both sides (horizontal and vertical) projecting to a single point/interval.

Do I just have a single closed interval representing x and another for y. I am not sure if I am overthinking the terminology or not as my professor teaches most of the java courses here and tends to expect quite alot out of us on occasion.

5. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    call your professor or a classmate.

Crunching for Team TPU
  6. Darkleoco

Darkleoco

Thanks Received:
    So I found out that a large portion of my problem is that my professor provided the supplementary material for this project incorrectly which prevents us from accessing the code we require, I am kind of conflicted about what to do as I am unsure of just how professional my professor will be when this is brought to his attention, should I not worry about this project since the reason my class can't complete it is on him and assume he won't grade it? Or should I request in our final class tomorrow that he either doesn't take it as a grade or that he fixes his mistake and allows us to submit it the following week?