1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Just bought my first ever PCIE card

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by u2konline, Sep 19, 2009.

1. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    Don't have the patience to read the thread but, Good job u2k xD See why we wanted you to get better for less $$? Anyways, I don't want to bring all that back, you got enough bashing on you in the past LOL

Next time, save up more money more and we'll make a killer rig with 500$ :D
  2. u2konline

u2konline

Thanks Received:
    I was talking about this:
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...5?skuId=9366571&type=product&id=1218092152238
    Replacing that with my emachine single core which is really powerful btw, but the dual core should be much better.

Not sure if you know, but i don't build. :toast:(kool-aid)
  3. shevanel

shevanel New Member

Thanks Received:
    skylamer says thanks.
  4. DaedalusHelios

DaedalusHelios

Thanks Received:
    Well if you are able to find the clock generator chip and use a clockgen like app on that board you might be able OC that processor. You probably won't be able to up the voltage though.
    skylamer says thanks.
  5. T3kl0rd

T3kl0rd

Thanks Received:
    You guys don't understand u2k. He is after simplicity and he doesn't want to bother with highly technical situations.(or what he considers highly technical situations, you might not consider the same situations highly technical) He doesn't want to build a PC and he probably won't OC the CPU. It is a huge leap for him to even use a PCI-e card, even if there are better that don't use power connections.

This is why he has always shunned conventional wisdom, because he doesn't want to dabble with a PC and break something or use technology that is foreign to him. Because of his mentality towards tech, he would rather pay more for less capable PC components. Everyone is so angry at him, all you can do try to realize where he is coming from.

My only issue is his FPS claims he makes in games, which no one else can duplicate, but that drives everyone else nuts as well.
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2009
  6. shevanel

shevanel New Member

Thanks Received:
    No one is angry. It's just people trying to help people... save money.. get more.

If you don't want to evolve and learn new things.. try new things.. then so be it. To each his own. :)
  7. T3kl0rd

T3kl0rd

Thanks Received:
    You haven't read what other people are saying about him on some of the other forums he belongs to then. People are furious at him for his claims in games and how he sticks to old, antiquated tech dedicatedly.

A lot of people on other forums have given up helping him and just flame him mercilessly. I try not to sink to that level but I understand others frustrations.
  8. DaedalusHelios

DaedalusHelios

Thanks Received:
    He is just "trolling" you guys... he does it for the "lulz"

[​IMG]

Why else would he pick Superman as his avatar. Its almost as cheesy as Buffy.

PS. Successful Troll is an internet meme. Its refering to intentionally causing someone to "rage"(get pissed off) etc.
  9. shevanel

shevanel New Member

Thanks Received:
    that's superman? Since when does superman look like a college-drop-out-wanna-be-model.. douche bag?
  10. DaedalusHelios

DaedalusHelios

Thanks Received:
    :laugh: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0279600/

It has been around for a while. Its cheesy.
  11. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    Another thing that we don't understand is that he is perfectly able to replace his video card... but he doesn't want to do anything else??

But still, even if he does buy pre-built, he buys expensive for cheap stuff... But I learned to not get mad or anything anymore... Because he is still a person, and shouldn't be bashed like he has been before.

If he wants to buy pre-built, I suggest we help him choose a good pre-built for the money
  12. MN12BIRD

MN12BIRD

Thanks Received:
    There isn't always "anything wrong with pre-built machines" like your said but you need to understand a few things. Your basic motherboard doesn't have PCI-e 2.0 so higher end video cards will be bottleneck. It has very little VRM, voltage adjustments for overclocking and couldn't handle higher end CPU's very well for example. This is fine for most people but you should at least understand that. Most gamers at the very least would want PCI-e 2.0.

Also more importantly your PSU is dangerously low. You risk damaging your parts, motherboards and video cards running on such a small PSU!!

I just want you to understand the risk of running a small power supply on these gaming parts. You starve your video card during game play it will run hotter, artifact and could eventually crash the game. No big deal I know. Secondly you risk killing the PSU. I know I know once again, not the end of the world. Replace it with a bigger one like it should have had in the first place right? Right! But what most people fail to understand is when you push a switching power supply to the limit and start pulling more wattage that its been designed to continuously maintain it's going to start working too hard, your voltages may drop, your current draw goes up, your parts trying to pull the power start running hotter, you get ripple feedback from the switching circuit in your power. Your power is no longer "clean" and voltages may start to fluctuate. Your motherboard and video card start working harder, they too overheat, too much feedback in the motherboard VRM and videocard VRM.............. BYE BYE nice video card.

So you kill your $100 video card because you didn't want to spend $50 on a decent 500 watt PSU. Your 250 Watt PSU is dangerously low to be using for what you are doing! I can tell you most of the time you will simply burn out the PSU and need to replace it but there is always a chance it will take out other parts. The PSU is designed to feed the correct amount of clean/well regulated power to ALL your parts. It in many ways is one of the most important parts in a PC. These pre-built machines almost always come with smaller units designed to run the machine as is. When you add your dedicated videocard and bigger processors please consider changing the power supply as well.

Now the point everyone else is trying to make is by the time you upgrade your graphics card and power supply you spent more on your "pre-built" system yet you still have a basic motherboard with a low end chipset, no PCI-e 2.0 and slower RAM (I love how your ASUS doesn't even mention anywhere the speed of the RAM only that it's DDR2)

That is all I'm saying. There is nothing wrong with pre-built if you don't care what motherboard you have, don't care about over clocking, don't care about how far it can be upgraded down the road. That's fine for some people but you need to at least address the power supply if you're going to add bigger video cards.
  13. T3kl0rd

T3kl0rd

Thanks Received:
    He's not going to address anything because he won't touch anything inside his computer, like I alluded to earlier in my post. He likes to buy the machine as it is and to do nothing more than stick a GPU in it. As long as he doesn't OC, those lower power GPUs shouldn't burn up IMO. The type of GPUs he uses aren't really bottlenecked by PCI-e 1.1 slots. See w1zzard's review of HD 5870 scaling to see what I mean. He also doesn't care about anything you suggest to him for any reason unless it meets his predefined criteria of simplicity and ease of use.
  14. MN12BIRD

MN12BIRD

Thanks Received:
    I assumed he could at least change basic things because I assumed he installed the video card himself. I guess I shouldn't have assumed anything! My bad.

I understand PCI-e 1.1 will not bottleneck the card he has now hence I said "this is fine for most people but you should at least understand that" I mean it's just all the little things that the average person doesn't understand. To me the motherboard (along with the PSU) is one of the most important parts to a PC (it defines reliability, performance, overclock-ability and of course upgrade-ability) yet its the one thing the pre-built OEM's often don't mention in detail. Then again most OEM's don't want you doing major upgrades like changing the CPU because they would rather sell you a new machine!

Once again I understand how many people would not care or really NEED to understand all of this. I really just wanted him to understand there are reasons why we do. But mainly I just wanted him to understand the importance of the power supply. He may only have a single core and 9500GT now but who knows it sounded like he wanted to upgrade to a dual core and I suspect he may eventually want to get into bigger video cards also.
  15. u2konline

u2konline

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

Maybe something is wrong with your eyes, but superman aka clark kent doesn't look like a college drop out and wanna be model lol. I think he looks pretty cool. :)

Everything you said is well correct, i never OC and the type of video cards i use are just fine for my so called low psu watts. When i buy a rig, i just add a sound card and a gpu and i am good to go. Thats all i really need to do, keep things simple. quick and fast, good to go.

I am not sure if you understand it. I remember when i was using my Intel Pentium III, it has 90watts in it, people told me a 2400 or 8400gs or even a 6200 won't run it, well i had the computer since 2000 and all 3 of those cards ran just fine on it, for years. The system requirements for power supplys/video cards are always inaccurate.

Yes i have a Galaxy 9500GT and a Emachine amd le-1620 2.4ghz single core right now, but i am giving this computer away and buying a Dual core very soon , and i plan to keep my 9500gt for it, and pick up a 4550 very soon like this weekend lol, so i will have a 4550 and a 9500gt for the dual core. The dual core has 300watts i believe.

Buy Bigger cards? Well i never buy cards that require power connectors and i never will buy high end brick looking house cards. So again the cards i will always buy are well just fine for my prebuilt rigs.
  16. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    I don't you buy a laptop for gaming at home while your at it :laugh:

Sometimes, u2k, I wonder the way you think... I guess idc, as long as it isn't my money going to waste... How much money did you spend on your comp since your PIII died? Do you know, with that money, you could have gotten something much better right? EVEN pre-built wise :shadedshu

Anyways, I guess you have your reason, but know that its like torture to us lol. You, understanding about comps, not ignorant anymore, still waste your money :( It's like when I saw my cousin buy 2 HDMI cables from bestbuy at 100$ each + 15% tax, while I got mine, after tax, at 10$... It confuses us to be so irrational.

BUT, I don't hate you for it, I just hope that one day, you will understand. All that money you wasted, you could've even given it to some poor child in Africa that needs it!

Even if you say that you want simplicity, there are much better pre-builts that you could have bought with your money...

Ok sorry but I always have top say this in your threads lol...

Anyway, best of luck on your slow but steady progression to modernity
  17. LittleLizard

LittleLizard New Member

Thanks Received:
    dont buy a 4550. you will get lower framerates than the 9500 even on ati games. 9500 is on par with a 4650, so if u want something similar to run ati games, go 4650
  18. T3kl0rd

T3kl0rd

Thanks Received:
    +1 to what LittleLizard said. Get the best GPU that doesn't use a power connector if you aren't going to use power connectors. Someone said 9800GT has a low power model, so I'd look at that.
    LittleLizard says thanks.
  19. DaedalusHelios

DaedalusHelios

Thanks Received:
    Thats a respectable card. I have always loved the G92 variants as long as its on the cheap.

@u2konline

I bet Tom Welling who plays Clark Kent in Smallville, is very popular with the ladies. I just think he is a cheesy actor from waht I have seen. Its kind of like how I think Ashley Tisdale looks hot but I don't think she is a good actress.
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2009
  20. LittleLizard

LittleLizard New Member

Thanks Received:
    9800gt low power, 9600gt low power or even a 4670 would be good.

Oh and if u buy the Asus dual core i recomended, then FOR GOD SAKE, UPGRADE THE PSU AT LEAST
  21. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    PSU is the base of your PC...
  22. DaedalusHelios

DaedalusHelios

Thanks Received:
    Some cases put it at the top, others put it at the bottom. j/k :laugh:
  23. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    LOL xD
  24. DaedalusHelios

DaedalusHelios

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

Wait a minute... is that a pink jacket he is wearing?
  25. ste2425

ste2425

Thanks Received:
    its red fool