• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Just completed The Witcher

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
My OCD is really kicking my ass on this one. I restarted once because I wanted herbalism earlier. Now I'm tempted to restart again because the "Finders Keepers" quest is stuck (the "employer"--aka con artist--has yet to reappear). I'm also really tempted to grant myself some 22,100,000 XP just to see what ass-kickage takes place being the highest rank in the beginning.

At this rate, I'll never finish it. XD

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Just finished this the other day. I got a bit tired of the Sherlock Holmes chapter, but, overall, the game kicks ass. Once I hit chapter 4, I knew I wasn't stopping until I finished it 10 or 14 hours later.

It's obvious who Alvin is. The unknown is who the guy in the ending cutscene movie is.
SPOILER WARNING

Yeah, the Guild Master. When he disappeared, Triss said that he could have gone anywhere, even changing time itself. Considering that he still had the amulet makes it likely but, he acts completely different from his younger persona. I'm about 50/50 on whether Alvin is there for the sequel or if the Guild Master was Alvin.

The final cuscene was definitely another witcher but who? It could have been Alvin too because Alvin really wanted to be a witcher. Geralt's expression was that of surprise so maybe Geralt recognized him. The thing that really gets me is why a witcher would be double wielding swords? All the witchers that appear throughout the game only wield a single sword at a time. It was the assassin's that wield more than one at a time. This leads me to believe that perhaps the Salamandra aren't gone and instead have begun applying the witcher mutagens to assassins. That would also explain why the assassin would be sent to kill Foltest and how it would be a witcher we don't recognize.

Edit: It looks like Lambert. :eek: So WTF was he doing trying to kill Foltest?

END SPOILER WARNING

I'm gonna play the two extra quests now. :D

Last edited:

Deusxmachina

SPOILER WARNING

I reckon we could use one of them there spoiler tag buttons 'round these parts to make things easier.

If you haven't looked, there's like an 80-page thread on the main, company site, Witcher forum discussing the ending. Some people are really overthinking it. One clue about Alvin is some advice you give him is said back to you verbatim later, but not by him. That thread covers it, of course.

Processor I5-4670k @ 4ghz
Motherboard Asrock Z87 Extreme 4
Cooling Hyper 212 Evo
Memory Gskill 2133mhz - 8gb
Video Card(s) Evga 970 GTX FTW
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256gb
Display(s) Samsung 22" B2230
Case NZXT 410 Phantom
Audio Device(s) Motherboard Onboard
Power Supply Corsair Gaming Series 700w
Software Windows 7 64-bit
Yeah, i just completed this game too (avoided reading this thread untill i had completed it) defintley one of my favourite games of all time, and defintley my favourite western RPG of all time. This game was sheer brilliance, expecialy once you get into chapter 2, from there the game hooks you and i just couldn't stop playing.

The end cutscene was epic, alot better than the intro cutscene, and it's a shame there weren't more throughout the game, however i really hope they go for a Witcher 2, as i really enjoyed this game, and it's rare i enjoy games this much these days. Good job Cd Project, You deserve as many sales as you can get. :toast:

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
For some reason, this game really reminds me of Fable: The Lost Chapters. The similarities are pretty obvious but The Witcher has a much deeper story to it. I'm to the 4th chapter on my second play through and I still don't follow a lot of what they are saying. As such, it might be overly complex or the result of a poor translation to English. It also suffers from the same major flaw as Mass Effect and Fable: too much running around. Fallout 3's/Oblivion's "quick travel" feature is a godsend. Nothing gets me more cranky than feeling a game was designed in a way that is intended to waste my time (like Far Cry 2 which is a far greater offense).

Deusxmachina

Tossing this in. Good a place as any.

Started watching "The Witcher" Polish TV show. I had read it was really bad, but so far it's ok. It's low-budget, of course, but when most scenes are either in the woods or in a field, all you really have to get right are the clothes.

Has some humor, it's starting to have a hot chick or two in every episode like the game does, the sword fights are worse than the first season of "Highlander," but, overall, it's amusing after having played the game.

Ford, I'm assuming you are using the Enhanced Edition patch. If not, that would explain getting lost in the dialogue. If so, I don't know where it's losing you. I did get lost during the Sherlock Holmes stuff. Just so many ends that needed tying up.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
It is Enhanced Edition. What has me confused is all this yada yada with Nilfgaard and all the weird discussions throughout the game like with King of the Wild Hunt, Lady of the Lake, and pretty much everything that happens on the Icy Plain which are mostly about destiny, fate, etc.

I suppose the game shares the bad combat trait with the show then. Seriously, I don't even pay attention to the combat because it's so lame (doing backward flips and other unnecessary crap like that).

SPOILER

I'm positive Alvin is the Grand Master but I wonder if the Grand Master is just an embodiment of King of the Hunt because they are constantly talking about the same thing (White Frost). The King of the Hunt may have possessed Alvin/Grand Master just to make his White Frost prophacy come to fruition.

What's odd is how no matter how you play it, Alvin always gets into the Grand Master's state of mind. There's probably a lengthy sub-story to that too that we are missing.

The lady in the mirror Triss was talking too was probably another member of the Lodge of Sorceresses (most likely Philippa Eilhart). Considering how odd Triss was acting in Chapter V, there's clearly a lot of unanswered questions surrounding her.