1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Keep 1155 or go 1150?

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by puma99dk|, Jun 30, 2013.

1. puma99dk|

puma99dk|

Thanks Received:
    i dunno if i should keep my i5-3570K and Asus Maximus V Extreme or go i5-4670k and Asus Maximus VI Hero.

i won't be needing to go SLi anyway, i don't take fully vantage of my V Extreme board, but i like the idea of having Intel Thunderbolt natively onboard.

what i can see as a plus.

i will get fully SATA 6gb/s (6xIntel Z87 and 2xAsMedia) on Hero and i got only 6xSATA 6gb/s (2xIntel Z77 and 4x AsMedia) on my V Extreme.

i will get newer and properly better Intel NIC. (82579V vs. I217V)

what goes for onboard audio i don't care to be honest bcs i will use my Asus Xonar Essence STX.

what i won't get to keep will be Intel Thunderbolt but is that worth it just to keep this setup of mine or should i just be going? ino motherboard will feel like a downgrade even it have newer phases but still 8+2 power phases design (8 for cpu and 2 for memory) so that won't change.
  2. radrok

radrok

Thanks Received:
    Do you need all of that SATA bandwidth? I mean will you populate with fast storage (SSDs) atleast 4 ports?

This will hardly make a noticeable difference, if any.

What makes native Thunderbolt so important to you performance wise?

Different architectures react differently to power phase design (read Intel's FIVR).

Overclocking on Haswell doesn't make a damn difference between many boards unless you go below 0c.

All in all I hardly see any reason to upgrade, you'd be better off buying another graphics card or more SSDs which will still run fine on your integrated controller.
  3. Law-II

Law-II

Thanks Received:
    Hi

This looks like a Side Grade rather than an upgrade; if the PC can hold and maintain a minimum of 60 fps in games with a mix of settings then it is most likly fine for all other task's, if you have deep pockets and low fps in games or are rendering 3d cad, upgrage the vga card or switch to a higher intel platform and skt.

I'm using x58 platform which is Oldtech but still dose what I need, just saying

nb: only you know what you require

atb (all the best)

Law-II
  4. puma99dk|

puma99dk|

Thanks Received:
    I have plans for a bigger maybe Intel 335 240gb ssd and more storage later...

well i am kinda like "the future-proof idea" with Intel Thunderbolt have through about an external storage device for transporting sometimes...

First i don't do SLi bcs last time i tried back with 2xGTX 460's 1gb in Mafia II i couldn't feel a thing no matter what i did in 1080p i got like 2fps or something max, so i think it's useless, even i had through about it but yet again only adds more power and i am not a that much of a benchmark freak...

plus my gfx takes everything i throw at it and with only a 60hz screen with adaptive v-sync on i am fine, even going through Bioshock lag free, having Aion opened most of the time...

i don't need like 770 4gb or a 780 3gb, i like my GTX 670 4gb i through that version bcs i like having 4gb for the future if i want to go higher then 1080p gaming some day.
  5. radrok

radrok

Thanks Received:
    All I can say about SLI that we have had way different experiences, it happens sometimes, multi GPU can be a hit and can be a miss :toast:

That GPU is likely going to be a processing bottleneck way before you'll need 4GB of VRAM...
  6. puma99dk|

puma99dk|

Thanks Received:
    well if i turn off adaptive v-sync yes i will benefit of higher fps even in games what why run more than what my screen can show in hz?

bottleneck, i am not so sure, drivers getting updated, tweaked and so does games actually more and more so i doubt i will run hit that limit anytime soon, plus i went from a GTX 680 2gb Ref to my Asus GTX 670 4gb custom and i haven't felt that much of a downgrade in games to be honest in benchmarks yes but well i don't keep going them so i am fine...
  7. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    It makes me wonder how many people buy the biggest card they can for benchmark scores, and not because they need it to get descent FPS from their games.
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2013
    puma99dk| says thanks.
  8. radrok

radrok

Thanks Received:
    Well to be fair gaming isn't even the main purpose of my graphics card :)
  9. puma99dk|

puma99dk|

Thanks Received:
    see? i don't do benchmarks to get the highest scores, i do them bcs i wanna see and it's fun to see what i can get out of what i got for the money i have spend...

i will never use over 7000dkr on a Titan no way, and i am happy with my GTX 670 4gb and i never had luck with sli so not gonna try again :laugh:
  10. radrok

radrok

Thanks Received:
  11. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
  12. radrok

radrok

Thanks Received:
    Yep, already tested, doesn't render as fast as a GK110 chip.

I can assure you :toast:
  13. Ketxxx

Ketxxx Heedless Psychic

Thanks Received:
    Unless your going to use the extra SATA ports and other features, theres little to no point of switching to 1150 its not like you are going to see a noticeable performance increase.
    puma99dk| says thanks.
  14. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    Far as I'm concerned, if you are building a new machine, then go 1150, if not then stick with what you have if it is pretty good, which yours is.
    puma99dk| says thanks.
  15. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    I think it's not worth it like some others, and if you thinking of going more storage and you have ran out of 6Gb SATA ports i would get me self a nice Raid card.

Sure a Raid 6Gb raid card be kinda expensive but i think it be useful than upgrading the mobo and cpu.
  16. puma99dk|

puma99dk|

Thanks Received:
    i don't like raid to be honest call me old or weird i don't care :laugh:

and if i run out of sata ports i can eventure plug this in:

[​IMG]

Asus U3S6

i used that card on my old ECS P67H2-A mobo i still have in it's box ^^
  17. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    In that case save ya some money and use it as long as it works good and is compatible with your motherboard you have your answer right in your face ( in a box ) :p.
  18. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    ^^^^^^this
    Crunching for Team TPU 1 Million points folded for TPU
  19. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    If you can manage to do it without spending much or any money sure.

If you could and would take advantage of the new features sure.

Do it for the performance gain on cpu or video? I wouldn't waste my money.
    (Been through 5 4770K's to get one that even matches my 3770K clock and it runs way hotter!)