1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Korean Children's Midnight Gaming Ban: The Kids Ignore It – Shock!

Discussion in 'News' started by qubit, Jan 3, 2012.

1. BlackOmega

BlackOmega

Thanks Received:
    I have to agree with what is being said by most everyone here. However, being the parent of 3 small children, I can tell you that even though I've been gaming since I was 5 years old, I don't want them to go down that path. Don't get me wrong, I think it's important for them to know technology and all that, but I don't want their main mode of entertainment to be playing video games. I'd rather have them be social and learn about real life stuff, I figure they'll eventually learn about gaming anyway.

It's also really difficult to find games that are educational, yet fun. Most educational games are painfully boring, especially for much younger kids like mine.

DAMNIT GAME DEVS! YOU LISTENIN?! MAKE SOME GAMES THAT TEACH PEOPLE STUFF AND DON'T SUCK!!!!
  2. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    Yup, normally 'educational' and 'fun' are polar opposites and something educational can make a kid switch off immediately - it has to be engaging to avoid this. That's why I like Bang Goes The Theory so much, since it crosses that divide, as I explained in post 14.
  3. DannibusX

DannibusX

Thanks Received:
    I bet North Korea doesn't have this type of problem.
  4. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    Lmao I love that man, spoken like a true married man :toast:

The government or schools shouldn't be doing the job of parents though thats not to say that shouldn't be rules and punishments in society as well as in school, if anything they are doing less and have less powers so the ones who have no structure at home don't get any kind of discipline elsewhere where as they use to get a good caining at school or a clip round the ear off a bobby (read policeman) when they were out of line now they have "human rights" shambles that is the world today.
  5. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    Since they would typically play MMORPGs which have numerous classes, builds, items, skills, combos, etc. as well as auctions and typical "free market" forces...and then there's Starcraft (I and II) where there would be emphasis on strategy, tactics and micromanagement...

This actually has nothing to do with the games and more with the Korean social norm of what education is supposed to be being "attacked" by gaming.
  6. Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Thanks Received:
    haha yeah. I remember way back when my mom hid my Sega Genesis' A/V jack.. Ended up salvaging the betamax' av cable with the other end as pins in genesis's s-video port. Tried guessing several combination on where to stick the pin in. Was successful at it mind you. Played sega on mute :D

I guess its survival instinct kicking in.. well in this case, instead of food, its the gaming fix.