• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Laptop audio whine while charging

System Name Haz0
Processor i7-2700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3
Cooling Chicken Stock
Memory 16GB G.Skill Ripshits X 1600MHz
Video Card(s) Sapphire 5850
Storage Kingston 128GB SSD + WD Black 640GB + 2x 1.5TB
Display(s) 24" Acer G245HQ + 19" Lenovo L194
Case Antec NSK-4482 Orangified
Audio Device(s) X-Fi XtremeGamer
Power Supply Corsair TX750W
Software Windows 7: Electric Boogaloo
My dad has an Asus G73Jh that we got off craigslist a few weeks back. The GPU is faulty and when it's under load the system shuts off, but that's a separate problem. We hooked it up to the TV to watch a movie with the video going through VGA and the audio going to the AV receiver via 3.5mm to RCA. While charging a quite loud squealing/whining sound can be heard, and there is some faint static horizontal lines in the middle of the picture. When you unplug the charger both effects vanish. I also noticed on a recent road trip that something similar happens with my Acer netbook. While plugged into the power inverter, a squealing could be heard through the headphones.

What could be causing this? Possibly sound drivers or "dirty" power coming from the source or chargers?

System Name If you name your systems, get a boy/girlfriend...
Processor i7 4770k
Motherboard Asus Maximus VI Formula
Cooling Custom waterloop around Black Ice GTX 360
Memory 16GB DDR3
Video Card(s) GTX 1080 FE
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 1TB
Case HAF 932
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Software Windows 10 x64
Hi,

Modern chargers are all "switched-mode" type. If they're low quality (or old), they can geterate quite a lot of noise on their output, causing interference and such noise. ("dirty power")

Car 12V -> mains AC inverter is even more noisy, and that's typical.

While I cannot guarantee it, there's very good chance that the problem will go away if you get another charger (same specs!).

Does your laptop use 12V or 19V charger ?
If you use 12V, you can easily bypass noise inverter in car by using direct cable.