1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Laptop for sister, a couple of models

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Frick, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    So my sister is shopping for a laptop. It's from a specific store, and she wants something smaller than 15 inches as she'll be traveling a bit with it, but not a netbook either.

The options are (for now anyway, we'll see if she can stomach a netbook):

1. Acer Travelmate Timeline X TM8473 - Swedish site, but you should get the main points. Windows 7 Pro, 120GB SSD, i5 2430, 4GB DDR3, 14".. Looks quite good, but I don't know much about Acer laptops to be honest. Never have dealt with them.

2. ASUS U32U - 320GB 5400rpm HDD, e450 and smaller (13.3").

3. Lenovo Thinkpad Edge E335. AMD E2-1800, 320GB HDD, 4GB, 13.3" etc.

Them are the ones about the €500 mark, which is the high point. The Acer looks quite good, but I'd appreciate any input.

Thanks for looking!

2. AhokZYashA

AhokZYashA

Thanks Received:
    i think you should go for the thinkpad,
    i recommend you to stay away from acer,
    its built quality have several problems on the hinges and screen

Frick says thanks.
  3. Frick

Thanks Received:
    I've heard similiar things about Acer but also that they have improved greatly over the past few years.

4. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    Nothing to worry about with Acer nowadays.

Frick says thanks.
  5. happita

happita

Thanks Received:
    I've heard a lot about Lenovo's customer service...which is basically non-existent. Even with this information, I myself got a Lenovo IdeaPad about 2 months ago. I do not use it often, but the price/performance ratio is what influenced me to buy it. I haven't had any problems with it so far.
    If your gonna get a laptop for someone else, I suggest to go with a company that has good customer support should anything go wrong that you yourself cannot figure out.

Frick says thanks.
  6. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    Lenovo

If you go for the ACER, get rid of the unnecessary ACER software.

Frick says thanks.
  7. neoreif

neoreif

Thanks Received:
    I"d go with the ACER too!

Frick says thanks.
  8. Liquid Cool

Liquid Cool

Thanks Received:
    Frick...

The ACER's specs seem a 'tad' out of line against the other two. If you could get her an e-450 or it's E-1800 counterpart for $400 US, it would be a decent price. I personally have used the HP DM1z and like it tremendously. It's currently on sale...most laptops are for back to school.

Although, from 400 to 500, there are a myriad of options in the core i3/i5 or llano/trinity arena, but does she need that much laptop? I'd look for HP first and foremost, then perhaps Dell. Both are known for having good customer service, at least that has been my experience with both. They've bent over backwards trying to help everytime I've inquired about something...Dell being the best of the two for CS, but I like the build quality of HP better.

Just an opinion though...:).

Good luck...and the guys are right, ACER is getting better...as is Toshiba. Samsung even has a pretty decent notebook here and there, but usually not priced competitively. Same with Sony.

Don't forget to hunt the Sweden equivalent of Slickdeals, FatWallet, etc...to look for deals and don't be afraid to go to the prospective companies refurb outlets and take a look there. Not to mention....it never hurts to search for coupons either.

Best,

LC

Frick says thanks.
  9. Frick

Thanks Received:
    She ended up with a netbook after all! The Lenovo Thinkpad Edge 135 (3359-62G). Only an E-300 but that'll be enough. Not the optimal price (€470!), but she was limited to a specific site so yeah. She'll be happy with it anyway.

Thanks again for the input!