1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Laptop Industry Faces Component Shortage

Discussion in 'News' started by zekrahminator, Aug 2, 2007.

1. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    These days, it seems as if everyone has a laptop of their own. Demand for these mobile computers is higher than ever, and shows no signs of slowing down. Unfortunately, laptop component recalls are also higher than ever, and show no signs of slowing down. This quarter, the industry has already been hit by a shortage of LCD panels, hard disc drives, batteries, and casings. The future doesn't look too good either. Analysts predict that laptop demand will continue to soar, and shortages will manifest themselves in high prices, more and increasingly serious recalls as laptop components are rushed out of factories, or outright lack of stock.

Analysts do not expect any relief from this problem for at least five months.

Source: Reg Hardware

2. Zero Cool

Zero Cool New Member

Thanks Received:
    very true

I wanted to build my own laptop, but I just couldnt find anywhere were they would sell Laptop Compoments, they are very hard to find lately.

3. PVTCaboose1337

PVTCaboose1337 Graphical Hacker

Thanks Received:
    School is about to start too, so it's gonna get worse.

4. kwchang007

kwchang007 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Wellll anyone want to trade, my laptop for your desktop :D

5. Wayward

Wayward New Member

Thanks Received:
    Seriously? Because I have an old gaming computer for trade... :eek:

6. kwchang007

kwchang007 New Member

Thanks Received:
    lol I was thinking main rig. Honestly, I'm too lazy to reload all my crap again.

7. Wayward

Wayward New Member

Thanks Received:
    :laugh: My main rig is kind of irreplaceable to me. Imaging Smeagol from LOTR saying "my preciousss".

However the computer I mentioned used to be my main rig, ending it's career last summer. If you are interested, I will load all your software for you. Seriously.

8. kwchang007

kwchang007 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm ok, I like the portability of having a laptop. Unplug and go :D. That and my copy of vista is from dell and idk if it'll work on other comps etc etc. But just for the heck of it, what are the specs on that rig?

My laptop is my main rig :banghead:. So it's also irreplacable.

9. Wayward

Wayward New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well, in comparison to your laptop, some things are less some are more. Where your laptop would definitely win out would be in CPU terms. My old rig has an Athlon64 3200+ Clawhammer. Also, 1GB RAM with copper heat spreaders. Besides that it gets better. The motherboard is the Gigabyte GA-K8NSN-XP, Geforce 6800 128MB, 450watt PSU, a MSI DVD/CDRW drive, 160GB Maxtor HDD, and a floppy drive.

Now the mobo is really good, as it has onboard 7.1 and SPDIF on breakout brackets, actively cooled northbridge, onboard firewire 400 and 800, and a daughterboard called the DPS (Dual Power Supply) to increase stability for overclocking.

Also the case is windowed, has a sturdy roof handle, and lighted fans. The CPU cooler is modified, I took a stock 125TDP cooler from a 4400+ Toledo, mounted a lighted AL fan, and attached a grill. Thermal compound is AC-5.

The HDD was wiped clean, it's currently a linux box. :cool:

I think that about does it. It used to game pretty well, then I wanted to grab something high-end on PCI-e, so it was upgrade time. Trade or not, I would be willing to part with it. Interested? :)

10. kwchang007

kwchang007 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Nahh, I've plan got use to dual core, just on that I'm not willing to part. Also 2 gb of ram in vista is essential and I really like vista (totally contrary to everyone else in the world):roll:. I'm thinking of saving w/e money I have after insurance next year towards a comp. It's not like my gfx can't play the games I play (it's basically just css and navyfield, god I love that game, but not very hard on the system).

On topic: how do you run out of things like cases and hdds? I got a 120gb one when I rma'd my 80 gb and now they're saying there's a shortage :confused:

11. WarEagleAU

WarEagleAU Bird of Prey

Thanks Received:
    I agree, are manufacturers not making laptop components quick enough??

I think its a ploy to raise prices on laptops myself.

12. Wayward

Wayward New Member

Thanks Received:
    Quite possible. Maybe similar to the DRAM fiasco not too long ago...

13. error_f0rce

error_f0rce New Member

Thanks Received:
    Heads rolled for that though.... It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. This totally sucks though, because I'm in the market for a new laptop, so it's not the greatest news for me. :ohwell:

14. Chewy

Chewy New Member

Thanks Received:
    well better buy up if you need now! before theses new prices for short stock hit the market! if it hasent already stopped the nice sales on laptops I seen last month.