1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

LED 5ms or LCD 2ms?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Enmity, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Enmity New Member

Thanks Received:
    OK so i had my sights set on the cheap affordable AOC 2434PW 24" monitor. So i've got my current monitor up for sale which should be sold within the week and i've found that i may have an extra $100 budget quite possibly ($50 US extra)

So now i have a complex...i found that theres a pretty nice BenQ LED 24" monitor which is about $100NZ more than the el cheapo AOC LCD 24".

What I'd like to know is - Is LED worth it? it'd drop down to 5ms which I understand is pretty much the norm for most monitors.

the two models in question are :

AOC 2434PW - $309.00NZ
    BenQ V2410 - $395.00NZ

I know the LED is much more eco friendly...plus much better contrast...but how noticeable is it? Anyone moved from LCD to LED recently? what stood out for you? Thanks in advance.

2. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    LED is definitely worth it. they're brighter, clearer, and use less power.

teh lowered heat output may well help reduce failure over time as well, but thats just an opinion with no fact behind it.

3. Fishymachine New Member

Thanks Received:
    First of all it's LED backlight LCD,and not AMOLED (like on some smart-phones),still it's power consumption is smaller,and it's contrast is better than a CCFL so id say go for it
    "The colour was accurate and blacks were pure"

4. Enmity New Member

Thanks Received:
    ok sweet, so the LED backlighting in your opinion is going to be more beneficial than the response time? Reason i'm asking is because my current 22" monitor is 2ms and that was the bees knees for gaming when i got this monitor - a 2ms LED backlit monitor costs way more though.

5. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    its all marketing bullshit. your monitor is only 2ms grey to grey, but that doesnt tell you its response times in any other colors.

it could be 16ms blue to red, and a monitor advertised as 8ms could be 8ms for everything.

6. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Mussels and I have the same LCD and I got to tell ya its pretty damn nice.

7. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    dont you have the asus model with the same panel?

8. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    5ms and 2ms are both far too fast for the eye to detect. Eyes can detected around 16+ ms.

Crunching for Team TPU
  9. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Yup.

10. wahdangun

wahdangun New Member

Thanks Received:
    hmmm its strange because will-e said CCFL was better than LED backlight because its have more accurate color

11. Enmity New Member

Thanks Received:

ok that's strange, I wonder why that is? because the panel is what takes care of the colours, the led backlighting shouldn't have any effect on colours I would imagine. Maybe he was comparing a TN panel LED backlit monitor against an IPS LCD perhaps?

12. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
    CCFLs are kinda yellow while LED are more bluish. At least that's my experience. My vote's for LED backlit.

13. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    Best advise I can give, go with the led monitor if u want. I see it all down to how much you actually will be looking at the display. I see the led monitor as better tho and worth the little extra.

14. OnBoard

OnBoard New Member

Thanks Received:
    Except it's not. Black to white is fast on anything TN. 5ms number is just that, but it's SLOOOOOOW in GtG

Today, TN matrixes are the fastest, but only if their specified response time is not 5 milliseconds. As a matter of fact, TN-based monitors with a specified response time of 2 and 5 milliseconds differ 3 to 5 rather than 2.5 times in reality. Why? Because their specified speed is measured in two different ways. For 2-millisecond models, the average response time for all halftones is measured (the so-called GtG method). For 5-millisecond models, the white-black-white transition is measured only. If a 5-millisecond monitor is tested using the GtG method, its response time will be 13 to 15 milliseconds, which indicates its real-life speed.

Good read here:
    http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/monitors/display/lcd-monitor-buyers-guide-spring2010.html

Those 5ms displays will looks like this in reality (acceleration off) http://www.xbitlabs.com/images/monitors/viewsonic-fuhzion-vx2268wm/vx2268-standard-resp3d.png

and good 2ms displays: http://www.xbitlabs.com/images/monitors/viewsonic-fuhzion-vx2268wm/vx2268-advanced-resp3d.png

Then there is the RTC error like mine does on brownish tones, but none are perfect.

And for OP, I was thinking of LED too, but they have horrible colors, so I'm skipping them. Like 66% of NTSC, while CCFL are about 75% and my current wide color gamut is 100%.

If you can't find a review or user opinions on them, go for the cheaper one, though I read some AOC reviews and they weren't good.

And for end, there are no LED backlight monitors, just edge lit. Anything that say LED it one of those, as in row of leds around the frame :)

15. Enmity New Member

Thanks Received:
    I managed to get a great deal on the ACER S243HL. it's 24" led lcd with 2ms response.
    usually is around $500NZ, i've got one coming for $369.00 so very happy with that :)

16. EwX New Member

Thanks Received:
    Why everyone is amazed by LED backlight,it's still used only with TN panels.
    With TN+LED backlight price range you would be close on getting a good IPS panel with CCFL backlight,which would display colors WAY better than TN with LED bcklgt (fantastic viewing angles,no color shift,very accurate colors,higher brightness and contrast,fast enough response time for games)
    For the price TN+CCFL are worth it, but that LED stuff doesn't make them cheap anymore.
    Just my opinion :eek:

17. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    because TN's with LED backlighting are cheaper, lighter, brighter, and cooler?

despite what you seem to think, LED backlit monitors ARE cheaper than their older brethren.

18. EwX New Member

Thanks Received:
    ,,because TN's with LED backlighting are cheaper, lighter, brighter, and cooler?''

How come are they cheaper ? For example P2370 TN+CCFL cost about ~200$ ,whereas PX2370 TN+LED cost 300$
    I think you meant that LED consumes less power,so over time lower bill for electricity compensates CCFL and LED price difference. I agree with you on this one.

Brighter and cooler,well, TN compared to IPS sucks,LED backlight still won't overcome major TN IQ problems.
    For ~300$ you can get a decent IPS panel with CCFL ,that will blow 300$ TN+LED away in terms of pure IQ,color reproduction,though it'll be bigger,hotter and use more power.

I'm all over for IQ :rolleyes:

19. Mussels

Thanks Received:

LED ones are cheaper here. must just suck to be in your area.

and no shit VA and IPS panels are better than TN film, congratulations you learned to google. that still means nothing, when LED looks better than CCFL. no one is saying TN is the superior panel type, except you... and no ones arguing that. you just seem to want to argue the point, and its starting to sound stupidly repetitive.

20. EwX New Member

Thanks Received:
    Lot of people fall into LED hype without knowing what it is and that there are different panel tech., Enmity showed his knowledge about this matter within first post .
    If you can get TN+LED cheap,that's great,but i was talking about people,who pay 300$ for LED bcklght instead of getting a better panel tech. for the same price(there are lot of people who do that).
    It looks that i'm only one who gave Enmity a hint about other options than TN+LED stuff.
    How come is that stupid ?
    No offence to anybody,sorry for offtopic.

On topic. Enmity,LCD marketing is trash,don't trust manufacturers with they're measurements.
    If you find a screen that you like,search for reviews,real world tests were people are using calibration tools to measure LCD performance and you'll know for sure,which monitor in real world performs better. You might find out that 5ms rated LCD is faster than that rated for 2ms ;)

wahdangun says thanks.
  21. wahdangun

wahdangun New Member

Thanks Received:
    yupz thats true, same with my country, people don't know a shit about IPS or TN,

but can anyone give me a link where led backlight was better than CCFL ?

22. OnBoard

OnBoard New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hope you get a good one :) It's be either blue tint or yellow tint in dominant color, yellow would be better.

Is that some sort of tax thing? Cheapest 23" LED goes for 180€ here (what Enmity got) and cheapest 23" CCFL is about 150€. Obviously it's a no brainer if you can get LED for less :)

23. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    probably more that around here, retarded stores never drop prices on old stock to sell them off, waiting on a stupid customer to buy them - and since the LED ones are cheaper to make, they're cheaper to buy and thus have lower prices.