1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Loading up new system with software - video player et. al.

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Sasqui, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    See the new rig in sys specs with Win7 64bit. I'm loading up on productivity and entertainment software. Looking for free (or cheap) alternatives to what I've got for video playback and image editing:

Video playback (DVD's, etc.): I have a Power DVD 9 Ultra license. I'm not particularly fond of PowerDVD, so I haven't installed it yet. I've used VLC media player and it's clean, lightweight and works. Is there anything better? I'll be playing back video up to HD, with the PC secondary monitor connected to a 40" Sony HD LCD TV via HDMI.

Image editing (almost all formats): I have Corel Paint Shop Pro XI and Jasc Paint Shop Pro 8 (I like the older versions better than after Corel got them). Would like to be able to process some enormous images (typically GIS TIFF and JPG). So far Corel has size limitations, it's 32 bit and they just didn't write the software very well. Any recommendations? I only do occasional artistic work. Perhaps two software packages, one for editing smaller images, cropping and artistic work, and another for processing really large images.

2. natr0n

natr0n

Thanks Received:
    video playback, vlc 64 bit is great with gpu acceleration.
    Image editing, I use paint.net it has tons of free ad ons.

Sasqui says thanks.
  3. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    Cool, didn't even know VLC had a 64 bit version.

Never heard of Paint.net :) Will check it out.

4. Triprift

Triprift

Thanks Received:
    You could also try Gimp for basic image editing.

5. Liquid Cool

Liquid Cool

Thanks Received:
    I use this site here when loading up a new pc at home or my work units at the office...

Ninite

VLC's always worked real well for me. IrfanView and Paint.NET are nice free programs too.

Best,

LC

P.S. Nice to see you using a 2405, I always loved my 2407's...I've been using old Dell monitors since then.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  6. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    VLC is just the best. I really like paint.net. It has all the features I need and is free and lightweight. Paint.net is not a photoshop replacement, but gimp is.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
    Crunching for Team TPU
  7. syeef

Thanks Received:
    1. VLC - Best video player I have seen so far.
    - http://www.videolan.org.

2. Gimp - Used it as an alternative to Photoshop for a year for doing professional works.
    - http://www.gimp.org

You might also install K-Lite Media Codec Pack (Free), I used the Basic version when I had Windows 7.