1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Long Range Wireless Adapter Ideas

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by Shirebury, Jun 13, 2013.

1. Shirebury New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hello,

My Mum and Dad are divorced, and they live about 2 miles away from each other. My Dad has broadband internet, whereas my Mum has no internet at all. I spend half the week with my Mum and the other half with my Dad.

I would like some recommendations on long range wireless adapters, so i can use my Dad's internet connection while i am at my Mum's, if such a long range adapter even exists.

Thank you.

2. Nailezs

Thanks Received:
    I am 99.9% sure that such a long range internet adapter does not exist. You will need to have another internet option available to you for your mom's house.

EDIT: I stand corrected. I had no idea these actually existed.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2013
  3. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    yup. and in most countries running something like that you would need a license for since you need a high powered amplifier to reach 2 miles.

Crunching for Team TPU
  4. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    They do exist...

@OP> I know a lot of persons do not like this... however, google it and read up.

Here is a starting point --> Radio Labs - What is the best WiFi antenna for me?

There are a lot of variables... like distance, obstructions (line of sight), power input/output, antennae used, cost, etc.

You may be better off if you have a wireless cell plan that you can use data on or get a pay as you go wireless data plan from one of the many companies.

5. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Looking at some of that after googling, it seems to me in most cases it would be cheaper and easier to actually get broadband for Mum's house! :eek:

95Viper says thanks.
  6. dorsetknob

Thanks Received:
    what Isp is your Father using at his place
    If He is a BT Customer and is part of the open reach program you could maybe log on to the BT hotspot program ( BTOpenzone and BT Wi-Fi ) via wireless dongle
    GET him to check up if his connection supports the open reach Hotspot network

Last edited: Jun 13, 2013
  7. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    I think you would be better off getting the net to thier place, however if it is out of service area you may want to get long range wifi gear.

These are very long range APs and adapters. I actually saw one of these on my trip as well and my phone had a lock on it for a very long time.

You can also upgrade the antennas in any gear you do have as long as it has an SMA connector. All of Amped Wireless's stuff uses SMA so you can upgrade the allready awesome coverage. They also make antennas for that as well.

8. Shirebury New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for your input guys.

It seemed like a bit of a long shot, but it's highly likely that we will be switching to BT at some point in the near future, so will be able to make use of the wifi service available to BT customers.