• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Long time no AMD

Diamond

Hi guy`s I`ve been using intel for a long time now. I have not own and followed an amd sence before the Xp and 64 verions came out. Now im in the market to buy a new Amd but now I look and i see socket 747, 939, and 940 and thats not countin all the diffent cpu`s they have can anyone tell me whats good. I would to get a double core, but not going 2 spend amost a 1,000 on the fx can someone tell me what socket and cpu type is good and that MB. needs to run good with my Ati 1800xt and would like a get a crossfire board.

P4 630 3.0ghz (oc) 3.46ghz, 2 gigs of ddr2 533mhz (oc) 587mhz memory, Ecs Pf-21 with the intel 925xe motherboard, C-media 9880 soundcard 8ch audio, Seagate 150 Sata Hd, Maxtor 300 Sata Hd, Ati 1800xt 512megs

Last edited:

Diamond

DanTheBanjoman said:
Seeing your current specs upgrading would be quite pointless. Why not wait for Conroe?

Well this is not an upgrade I`m going 2 do right away. Maybe in about 2months or so. I`m just looking because with vista right around the corner and thats O.S. is a memory hog. I know the conroe is coming out and the new am2 with ddr2 memory. So the x2 prossers will get very cheep and it would be an upgrade that will be easy on the pocket. I will have more speed and I also want an x1800xt crossfire board. Ati expess have some problems with the intel boards. So if i want the full power of crossfire my best bet is to go with Amd