1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Looking for 5.1 surround headset

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Wile E, May 24, 2008.

1. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    I'm looking for a 5.1 headset. I'm looking in the under $100 range. The only stipulations are, I do NOT want a USB headset (aka: it has to be able to use my sound card's 5.1 outputs), and it has to have good spacial imaging.

So far, I've been looking at these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826502008

The only problem is, they don't get very good reviews for imaging. I'm wondering if that's because of an inherent design flaw, or if the reviewers don't know how to properly adjust things.

I prefer to buy from Newegg, but I'm open to any reputable eTailers.

Last edited: May 24, 2008
  2. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
  3. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    BTW Amazon have them for $100. BUT seems like they might have a weakness in there build. Maybe the SONY 700's ?. BUT yet again no mic :(.

4. jonmcc33

jonmcc33 New Member

Thanks Received:
    5.1 headsets are gimmicky and not going to give you what you expect (ie surround sound).

5. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    They don't have to be perfect, I just want front and rear sounds to be distinguishable. Mostly for COD4 purposes.

@ASRock - Those aren't 5.1 surround headphones, those are just stereo cans. Thanks for showing them, but I don't need stereo cans, I have a set of Shure E5C's that I bought from my buddy.

6. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Well i have known a pair high quality 2 way speakers do 5.1 sorround sound before in fact a few. 5.1 surround sound is good due to the fact the placement of your self does not matter as much. all though with a pair of 2 way speakers the source needs to be good too though. With headphones it's different as placement is\ should not be a issue.

And i have had a cheaper pair of the technics headphones and there WIDE open.

7. farlex85

farlex85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Regular headphones should allow you to distinguish where the sound is coming from. I have these and can easily distinguish between front and back noise (those are deactivated though, just saying you don't need 5.1).

8. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Well, I do need it. I suck at COD4, so I find it hard to distinguish front and rear with 2 channel headphones in the heat of battle. lol.

9. farlex85

farlex85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    lol. There's no substitute for a steady hand and quick reflexes......

10. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Those don't help when you get stabbed from behind. lol.

11. farlex85

farlex85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    True, true.

12. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Thus the need to have surround, so I can hear the bastards coming. lol.

13. dark2099

dark2099

Thanks Received:
    Just my general opinion on headset from previous purchases, avoid Altec Lansing headsets, I had 3 randomly die on me, on was a cheap $20 pair, another was like $50, and then the $100 pair I had went after like a month. However I do have a decent older Altec Lansing 5.1 sound system that works like a charm.

Wile E says thanks.
  14. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    I thought about getting a 5.1 speaker setup, but I'm a late night gamer, so that's out.

15. dark2099

dark2099

Thanks Received:
    I was just stating the difference in experience I've had with their products. Good luck finding something that works well for you.

16. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Ahh, fair enough. Thanks for the input tho.

17. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    I like them and hear good things about them. Thing is with me i like more extended sound not 16Hz-24KHz and more like 5Hz-30Khz. BUT 16Hz-24KHz is better than what i normally see with that company then again not tried a pair of them for some years now though..The technic one with make your head shake to the point you will think you have your hi fi on as well.

18. farlex85

farlex85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah they are not the best quality in sound, but they do have very good sound quality, and I got em for $50, and for that price I am extremely happy. They have a very clean balanced solid sound and are incredibly comfertable, I can listen to these for hours and not even feel like I'm wearing anything. And, as I said before, its very easy to distinguish between front, back, left, and right sounds. I haven't owned any other of their products, but from these I can say I may in the future.

Last edited: May 25, 2008
  19. jonmcc33

jonmcc33 New Member

Thanks Received:
    If you want to determine front and rear then you need an actual speaker setup. The drivers in headphones are too close to your ear to properly separate the two. Most use software or add in modules to create the illusion...but it's not real.

A normal headset should work fine in games to be honest. It's what I use and it works all the time.

20. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    from what I understand, the Razer HP-1 set is the best and closest thing you can get to a true 5.1 headset setup, TigerDirect has them on sale for $89 (as well as CompUSA's online outlet) - they typically run closer to $125

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2479583&Sku=R99-1042&SRCCODE=GOOGLEBASE&CMP=OTC-GOOGLEBASE

these do have individual drivers properly spaced, and reviews have been consistently phenomenal - coupled with any audio card's positional audio capabilities, they should work wonders . . .

but, I have also heard that these headsets suffer from poor build quality as well - but that could just be from those users who abuse their equipment, hard to tell . . .

Wile E says thanks.
  21. bassmasta Guest

the HP-1's are amazing. I found that they worked better than a set of equally priced 5.1 speakers. the only problem i've had is that the subwoofers blew when I mis connected the wires on full volume. Luckily, Razer is replacing them on warranty even though it expired a month ago, along with some other special considerations. good quality, and great 5.1, and it's a fair price depending on where you buy it. I got mine at a local radioshack liquidation sale for 60% off

22. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Ahhh, thanks imperial and bass. I was wondering when I'd get some other suggestions. lol.

So bassmasta, front and rear is actually distinguishable? And do you use the analog inputs?

23. bassmasta Guest

I have both a razer barracuda soundcard, and an X-fi. the barracuda has better quality, but it doesnt work with the surround in source games. the point is, I use both the analog and HD-ai plugs on a regular basis. they both work perfectly, the only problem is that if your sound card is at the bottom of your case, the USB cable on the analog adapter may not reach your USB ports. and yes, the front and back are very distinguishable. I'm not sure how they balanced it, but the front speakers both play a sound and somehow balance it to center. it's not just that the front half of the headset plays it, it actually sounds like 5.1. the back is also very good, although someone has to be RIGHT behind you for it to be directly back. otherwise, it will jump to a 30% prefrence on either side. although I have to say that the rear audio works better on the barracuda than the X-fi. also, if you can find pads to replace the ones the headphones come with, do so. I have somewhat large ears and it would cause them to ache after an hour or so, but some crappy $20 headphones from the sony store had much more comfortable pads that fit onto the HP-1's. they're a good choice overall, and the warranty isn't nearly as strict as BOSE or sony headphones.