1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Looking for a New 23"+ Gaming Monitor

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by Thrall, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Thrall New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hello everyone, I'm looking for a new monitor to replace my "aging" 21.5" 1080p Viewsonic LCD and I was wondering if I could get some insight. I have a budget of $275 and am looking for a monitor that is at least 23", 1920*1080, and has an HDMI port. Also, it'd be nice it was an IPS panel and had composite or s-video inputs. Currently these are the monitors that I'm looking at, although suggestions are welcome.

24" Dell U2410 or 24" HP LP2475W (Used)
    + IPS Panel and multiple inputs.
    -Little to no warranty and may ghost for gaming.

24" Asus VE248H (Asus VE248H Black 24" 1920X1080 2ms Full HD HDMI L...)
    +Cheap
    -Not many inputs, tn panel.

24" Samsung B2430HD (Samsung 24" 1920x1080 5ms B2430HD HD HDMI WideScre...)
    +TV Tuner and Multiple inputs
    -TN Panel

27" Viewsonic VA2702w (ViewSonic VA2702w Black 27" 1920x1080 3ms Full HD...)
    +Big screen
    -Not many inputs, tn panel.

27" SAMSUNG P2770HD (Recertified: SAMSUNG P2770HD Rose Black 27" 5ms HD...)
    +Big screen, many inputs.
    -TN Panel and short warranty.
  2. mrw1986

mrw1986

Thanks Received:
    Take a look at the Dell U2312HM. It's a 23" IPS monitor, with 0.6ms input lag and no ghosting. I just ordered mine from http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-D...5262?pt=Computer_Monitors&hash=item231622f5ce. Cost under $240 shipped and it has excellent reviews. Great color uniformity and little/no backlight bleed. It's also LED backlit.

Bah sorry, it doesn't have an HDMI port. It does have DisplayPort, DVI, VGA though. You also get a 3 year warranty with advanced RMA meaning they ship you a new monitor first.
  3. Thrall New Member

Thanks Received:
    Do you notice a big difference between the colors on your monitor compared to a standard TN panel? I thought about that monitor or it's bigger brother, the u2412m, but I was thinking it might be best to just go all the way up to the u2410.
  4. mrw1986

mrw1986

Thanks Received:
    I'm waiting for it to come in, should be here either Friday or Monday :)

I've seen it in store and it looks amazing considering they blast the crap out of brightness/contrast. I would get the 2312hm over the 2412m personally after all the reviews I've read. I had my choice of either one and decided on the 2312hm. The u2410 is really nice but overly expensive.
    Thrall says thanks.
  5. Thrall New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hm, well let me know how it goes. Right now my biggest debate is between a 27" tn panel and a 24" ips. Is 27" too big if you're usually only 2' from the monitor?
  6. mrw1986

mrw1986

Thanks Received:
    27" is way too big being that close...at least imo.
  7. BazookaJoe

BazookaJoe

Thanks Received:
    I have a Samsung P2770 - and I am very happy - I have played action shooters alongside other "high end" monitors at LANs and my supposed 2ms refresh was clearly visible against other monitors running 4ms ~ 6ms.

My BIGGEST complaint is by default the color output on the p2770 is way too bright - like KRYPTONITE bright - but a minor tweak in my drivers settings got that color under control and I'm LOVING the big old thing.

Also - it was VERY cheap compared to its competition - and you can set the response time between 6ms, 4ms, 2ms - which is really nice if you are using it as an actual HDMI tv.

It actually can change its whole mode for TV or Gaming in the settings - so it is designed to change its entire behavior for the best of both modes.

(For those who don't know slower response time, and some other color tweaks, are actually BETTER on the eye for tv viewing) And its CRAZY brightness capabilities are awesome if you are using it as a tv in the day - most monitors cant go even half that bright.

So it makes a nice monitor for now, and in a year or 2 when something more awesome is out for your pc - its a handy spare tv panel.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  8. mrw1986

mrw1986

Thanks Received:
    I have an update on the Dell U2312HM.

It's absolutely stunning. I calibrated mine and the colors are perfect, blacks are awesome, and sharpness is great. I have no issues with it at all.

Zero input lag, no ghosting, and the stand is 100% adjustable even allowing you to rotate to portrait!
  9. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
  10. Funtoss

Funtoss New Member

Thanks Received:
    ViewSonic VA2702w enough said! viewsonics makes nice monitors btw!
  11. mediasorcerer New Member

Thanks Received:
    I got a 27" screen. Go for that size i recommend mate, games look glorious
  12. LagunaX

LagunaX

Thanks Received:
  13. Thrall New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've looked into it a little more and it comes down to a u2312hm (unless I can find a good deal on a u2410) and some kind of 27" monitor. I'd like the better colors or the ips panel, especially because my current TN panel dosent do a very good job with greens, however, the small increase in size to a 23" and the lack of inputs is kind of holding me back.

I've looked at lg's monitors and I either had trouble finding the monitor anywhere (e2370) or found that there was ghosting and high input lag in reviews (ips231 and ips236). In terms of input delay and ghosting, the u2312hm seems to be best for ips panels.

One more thing, do you guys recommend calibrating the monitor if I plan on using it for gaming and movies. I understand that it is an important process for photography/videography but I haven't really found anyone saying that it's a must have for gaming. Your thoughts? Thanks again!
  14. mrw1986

mrw1986

Thanks Received:
    The LG IPS monitors are pretty bad, which is strange because they make the panels in the Dell...

I would definitely calibrate any monitor you buy. I used calibrations I found on a monitor review site, an icc color profile from the same site, and then I used Windows 7 color calibration to tweak it further.
  15. radrok

radrok

Thanks Received:
    I've always bought Dell panels and I've never had any bad experience with them, warranty is something awesome they exchange you everything in one day, yes one day (mind that I speak with the business section so for private customers it may be different)
    My 2408 WFP has awesome colors reproduction it just needed a slight calibration to get better.
    The best experience I've had and I'm having is with the U3011... it's the king really can't describe how colors are good, the CCFL lamps are covering the entire screen without any noticeable bleeding.
    I have a 3008WFP too but it has some color bleeding on the edge mind that probably it's because it is beginning to show it's age :)

All this to say that if you want good color reproduction go Dell, you can't be wrong :)
    Either U2410 or bigger colors will be awesome. Be sure to purchase the model without the M because that's eIPS and it's the cheap IPS version (worse color and such to cut costs)

If you are an avid gamer buy nothing short of a 120hz panel, it's night and day on gaming... ok you lose the color precision of the IPS panel but the fluidness(is this the right term? :p) you get is something to die for :D
    I'd recommend you ASUS for that, awesome latency and good color reproduction (for a TN panel)
  16. mrw1986

mrw1986

Thanks Received:
    Ah yes, I forgot to mention I have ZERO backlight bleed on my Dell. Also, the private sector warranty is just as good. 3 year advanced exchange, meaning they ship you a monitor first and you ship the old one back in a prepaid box.
  17. Thrall New Member

Thanks Received:
    I checked out some 120hz monitors, but it would cost around $350 for one with similar resolution and size to the one I have now.