1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Looking for a new PC, recommendations needed

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by Namek, Dec 3, 2008.

1. Namek New Member

Thanks Received:
    For desktop I'm going with 4 gb.

I'm asking in graphic cards, does it make a difference if it's 1 gb or 512 mb. Because I see a lot of 512mb ones are better reviewed than some 1 gb ones.

2. InnocentCriminal

InnocentCriminal Resident Grammar Amender

Thanks Received:
    Well, usually 1GB cards are just a marketing gimmick to make people think the more memory, the better the card. Hence why we see some lower-ended cards (budget range) such as the 85/8600 GS or whatnot with 1GB of RAM.

Realistically, the cards that do come with 1GB of RAM are usually limited by the memory bus (which on most cards is 256bit) so the RAM doesn't exactly have the room (bandwith) to stretch it's legs. One advantage to having 1GB over 512MB is that at much higher resolutions (1920 x 1200 and higher) games can make use of the extra RAM for loading more, high detailed textures.

That's a really basic insight into it, I can go into more detail providing links to back up my statements, but I've just got in from work and I haven't had a cup of tea yet. ^^

Namek says thanks.
  3. Namek New Member

Thanks Received:
    ^^

Thanks for the info man. I appreciate it.

4. InnocentCriminal

Thanks Received:
    Not a problem, it's what why we're all here right? ;)

Namek says thanks.
  5. Namek New Member

Thanks Received:
    They have both a P5Q-3 and a PRO, which one would you recommend? They both cost a bit more than the P5Q, I'm willing to pay the extra if it's worth it. The P5Q-E costs the most.

Also for power supply which one of these would you guys recommend:

CM eXtreme Power 550W
    CM Real Power 520W

Last edited: Dec 5, 2008
  6. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    P5Q-3 is DDR3, so I wouldn't spend the money on that.

P5Q-Pro is a great board, don't spend the extra on the P5Q-E if your on a budget.
    Kets modified bios for the P5Q's is great also!

I would grab the eXtreme Power, those are not as bad, how much is that costing you and where are you buying the stuff from?

Namek says thanks.
  7. Namek New Member

Thanks Received:
    Like I said I live in Macedonia, I'm buying this from this shop http://www.set.com.mk/setClient/products.asp.

So this PC:

MB: P5Q-Pro
    E8400 CORE 2 DUO 3.0G 6MB 1333
    Corsair 4GB 800MHz TWIN2X4096-6400C5 20 DDR2
    GeForce 9800GTX+, 512MB DDR3 256 bit
    HDD 500GB Seagate 7200rpm 32MB SATA-II
    CM eXtreme Power 550W

Will cost me about 720 euro or 980 $

I have 3 questions:

1. Is it worth the money?
    2. Will it work well?
    3. Will it play games that will come out in the next 2 years?

And the P5Q-E is like 10 euro more than the P5Q PRO I wouldn't mind spending it if it's worth it. Is it?

8. spearman914

spearman914 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Everything looks good. 9800GTX+ is definitely a solid choice but what res u game at. If it's higher then 1650 x 1200 then u'll probably need a 1GB or 768MB one.

1. Is it worth the money?

Yes but could be cheaper if it was egg. :D
    2. Will it work well?

Yes it will
    3. Will it play games that will come out in the next 2 years

Depends on what games will come out.

Namek says thanks.
  9. Namek New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks.

Does it matter what kind of case I get?

10. kysg New Member

Thanks Received:
    Try to find a case with good airflow.

you know they range in different sizes, full, mid, minitower, and lanstyle, and mitx.

Usually lots of people get midtowers, good ones are made by antec, cooler master thermaltake the list goes on. Color doesn't really matter.

but try to aim for a case that gives you good airflow. at least a 120mm fan in the front or the rear.

Namek says thanks.
  11. Namek New Member

Thanks Received:
    Does anyone recognize anyone of these cases:

[​IMG]

And can recommend a cheap one.

Conversion is 48 = 1 $

12. kysg New Member

Thanks Received:
    not all of them but I did do some googling.

the ones labeled with the TA are from ASUS example TA-881
    http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=7&l2=37&l3=94&l4=0&model=1182&modelmenu=1
    you will also find those on Asus's site.

the ones with DLC are made by a company called delux, a chinese OEM I looked at there site and everything is in chinese I know some japanese but chinese is a whole different ballgame.

and the ones with the CM are cooler masters. From familiarty I would tell to get a coolermaster. but those look kinda expensive out the door. with the exception of the one for 3299,

http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/category.php?category_id=17

also the pihranna the blackfin and few others are made by Spire you may want to take a look at them

http://www.spirecoolers.com/main/product_cas.asp

Namek says thanks.
  13. Namek New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks man. You shouldn't have gone to that trouble of checking everything out.

I appreciated it.

Does it make a huge difference if I get a TA or a CM?

14. InnocentCriminal

Thanks Received:
    Usually Coolermaster have the better cases compared to ASUS. Coolermaster are a case company first when ASUS aren't. I'd recommend going with CM over ASUS tbh. ASUS cases aren't exactly amazing and they don't look very nice (imo) either.

Still, it all boils down to price and personal opinion on aesthetics I guess, oh! That and airflow. :p

Namek says thanks.
  15. kysg New Member

Thanks Received:
    TA's are cheaper and made by asus you'd have to look over the pics and check the description,

TA's have 2 front spots and 2 rear spots for fans, thats the 8 series ones 891, 881, 861 you would have to go purchase those fans, looks like they are older models,

and the cooler masters generally get 120mm in the rear, and typically a 120mm in the front.

and its as exactly as the guy above me said Cm is a case first company better quality, better concept, just makes more sense.

Namek says thanks.
  16. Wozzer

Thanks Received:
    ATi 4850 is a must. Could you work our currency in poundS (£). If so - i'll try and build you a machine via the internet.

Namek says thanks.
  17. techjunkie

techjunkie New Member

Thanks Received:
    I disagree with you guys recommending him the 9800GTX+. I may be not a guru but doesn't the 4850 have like a lot of overclocking headroom ?

And with proper case cooling, you might even be able to hit 700 MHz on the core without an aftermarket cooler. Now this would be faster than a 9800GTX+ by a notable margin. Correct me if I'm wrong. So I again recommend the 4850

Also since you are going with the P5Q Pro (it supports crossfire) you can add in a second 4850 in time when you feel like your pc is becoming obsolete. Can't do that with a 9800GTX+ on that borad

Namek says thanks.
  18. Namek New Member

Thanks Received:
    They don't have the 4850. I want that one as it's cheaper. The GTX+ from what I've read overclocks better. But all reports I've read said they're more or less the same.

As for crossfire, since I'm getting the P5Q-E will be an option in the future. Maybe in a year or so I'll sell the GTX+ and get an ATI card.