1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Looking for a nice overclock for my CPU and maybe video card

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by sudano68, Dec 4, 2008.

1. sudano68 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm looking into over clocking for my processor but I don't know where to start since I've only done one over clock in my life and that was on my last custom built gaming computer from two years ago. AMD 4400+ @ 2.2ghz stock with a ASUS A8N-SLI Mobo. It was easy to overclock because I just went into the Bios and enabled a 10% overclock that it did automatically. Now I have a gateway GT5678. I was going to build a computer, but got lazy and didn't have a credit card so I just went to Best Buy and bought a desktop with pretty much the same specs, other than the video card which I upgraded later.

Now that I have a desktop I bough rather than built, I have no idea how to overclock and have no idea where to start. I looked around in the Bios but don't really know what I'm doing and don't want to mess anything up permanently. Where should I start to overclock my CPU a little?

I have...

Gateway GT5678
    Intel Q6600 @ 2.4ghz stock
    4gb ram
    Radeon HD 4850 512mb
    Vista 64bit

I would like to get my processor to maybe 2.6ghz or 2.7-8 if possible, all with out any new fans or heat sinks. Also, my video card a little if I can too.

2. DonInKansas

DonInKansas

Thanks Received:
  3. wolf

wolf Performance Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    ive oc'ed lots of Q6600's and every single one has done 3ghz on stock volts and stock cooler A'OK, simply increase fsb setting to 333 in bios. and IF that doesnt work, set voltage to AUTO and it will give it a tad more juice.

as for the 4850, you should be able to get the core to around 4870 speeds (750mhz)

both of those overclocks should boost your system nicely :)

4. sudano68 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I restarted my computer but I can't see the bios name where it tells me what button to press to bring up the menu. I think it has to do with my monitor taking a while to like switch sources or something, I don't know. (Samsung SyncMaster T240)

I thought it was F2 or F10 but F2 brought up the menu where you pick what you want to start from, if you have more than one OS I think. I saw vista, the way down there was the memory diag tool. F10 brought up boot priority menu, and it was bios not windows. How do I bring up the menu? I don't want to press random F buttons during start up because knowing my luck I will press the erase all and self destruct button.

5. wolf

Thanks Received:
    such a button doesn't exist you wont erase or destroy anything, i would mash DEL and some F-keys either high or low, do this as soon as you've turned the comp on, like you say the screen doesn't power on instantly so you might be missing the prompt.

6. DrPepper

DrPepper The Doctor is in the house

Thanks Received:
    When you turn the pc keep pressing delete and if the bios doesn't appear then reboot and keep pressing f2 or any other F key until you see the bios.

7. sudano68 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I got it, and looked around and saw nothing that seems it would help me like it would have in my older computer. I took a picture of the main menu and all the sub menus but I can't find my camera wire!

8. sudano68 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'll post pics of my bios tomorrow, got to get to bed for school. Talk to you tomorrow guys. Got to go deal with GF that makes me want to break things sometimes. Good night all. :)

9. _jM

_jM New Member

Thanks Received:

I have that problem sometimes, but usually I end up killing my friends in online FPS's!:D

10. sudano68 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Why does my CPU show up as 1.6ghz in cpu-z but 2.4 in system information?

I quickly saw cpu-z go to 2.400mhz but then back down to 1.6.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 4, 2008
  11. RadeonX2

RadeonX2 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Your mobo is setting enhanced halt state(C1E) to AUTO or ON at default and it is normal, if your PC is @ idle then it halts down to its lowest multiplier which is 6 for Q6600 and if its on load it should up by 9 which gives you 2400MHz. Just multiply the multiplier and bus speed and you should know your clock speed. The Q6600 has a minimum of 6 multiplier and max is 9 do the math and it should be 2400MHz:toast:

12. sudano68 New Member

Thanks Received:
    The main menu in the Bios.
    [​IMG]

And the rest of the menus. Don't see anywhere to change stuff.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. RadeonX2

RadeonX2 New Member

Thanks Received:
    If you want to see 2.4GHz all the time then disabling the speedstep will do the job but I know every1 is not recommending it as it's role is saving electricity bill by turning your processor to its lowest multiplier while in IDLE state. If your system is not stable or is overclocking too high then recommending the speedstep should be disable to avoid BSOD and other critical error.

try this OC tool

http://www13.plala.or.jp/setfsb/

Last edited: Dec 4, 2008
  14. sudano68 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Don't see any Nvidia chipsets. That's what CPU-Z says I have. Nvidia Geforce 7100 is what is says under motherboard chipset.

15. wolf

Thanks Received:
    from the screenies you posted, looks like oc-ing may be a no-go unfortunately

16. spearman914

spearman914 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Disable CPU Spread Sprectrum and PCI Sprectrum so you're cpu doesn't halt down to 1.6 GHz when idle.

17. sudano68 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Would it make any difference in performance? and too bad about the oc'ing. Thanks anyway guys, I guess on my next computer I will build it for sure.

18. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    Well, if you truly do wish to still OC. You can always pickup a new case, power supply(in case its proprietary) and a new motherboard. ;)

19. sudano68 New Member

Thanks Received:
    No money. Unemployed at the moment and christmas shopping with money I don't have lol.

20. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    bios flash might be able to let him oc
    flash could be complex for a novice tho

pre built tend to only be good for bulk orders and if you want a lot of systems the same like workstations

tend to have locked out bios options too which seems the case here