1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Looking for monitor suggestions

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by grazzhoppa, Sep 24, 2005.

1. grazzhoppa New Member

Thanks Received:
    My budget is $200 but I could go a bit higher - $250 is the absolute max I'm going to spend.

Right now I have a 17" CRT and it has been making squealing sounds for some time now. But I just smack the side of it lightly and the squealing sometimes goes away. That's not a huge problem. My two gripes about it is that the brightness is now uneven on the monitor and the low refresh rate. The left third of the screen is a bit darker. If the screen was filled with white, I see a grayish color on the left and a pure white on the right. And I recently started needing a res higher than 1024x768, but this monitor can't do higher than 75hz refresh at a res higher than 1024.

Right now I'm running at 1152x864 with 75hz. I sense a small flicker when staring directly at the screen, but if I focus on one side of it, the corner of my eye sees a noticable flicker. I can work with this, but 85hz is what I'd like.

I'd perfer a CRT monitor because
    1. generally cheaper than LCD
    2. better brightness/color across the entire screen
    3. changable resolutions
    Like I said, I need a res higher than 1024 for working within Windows with at least 85hz refresh rate. But I play games at 1024x768, so I need for the monitor to be able to change resolutions without interpolating the pixels and creating a crappy picture when its not using its native resolution, like with LCDs.

I've noticed in games that the picture seems to distort or stretch, like a fish-bowl effect, around the edges of the screen. Would a flat-screen CRT still have this problem?

So what monitors do you guys have and are you happy with them? I haven't been following LCD tech, so maybe an LCD in my price range can match a CRT for my needs. Do refresh rates for LCDs match up with the rates for CRTs?
  2. Polaris573

Polaris573 Senior Moderator

Thanks Received:
    NEC monitors are supposed to be really good.

My current monitor is made By CTX and it has treated me well. It's about 5 years old now, and when I go to LAN parties with my friends it still has by far the best color, contrast, sharpness, etc. I don't know if they still make good monitors, but they might be worth checking out.
  3. djbbenn

Thanks Received:
    The thing I don't like about LCD's, like you said, they have a native resolution. So when you change it, you loose image quality. NEC's are good monitors, specailly for the price. Flatscreen, well I think most are flatscreen now...I have a old TTX (I think its a CTX or other way around, both are the same company I think) and its a great monitor. But most of the time when you buy a CRT, they are basiclly the same, the tubes are all made in like two manufacturers across the world.

-Dan
  4. zAAm

zAAm

Thanks Received:
    You could always try a ViewSonic? I've loved mine since I bought it. ;)
  5. Anarion New Member

Thanks Received:
    just buy a 21'' mnt

with good refreshrate !

OR DO NOT BUY !
    WAIT & collect more money

!

i buoght LG-samsing -tvm-ctx

almost all of 'em are good
  6. DR.Death

DR.Death New Member

Thanks Received:
    i have a envishion by panasonic and it has a good refresh rate and i have had it for 6 month and it still works fine and it goes well past 1024x768 and i have no complants so if u live in the usa or canada
    here is the sight click here