1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Mainstream and entry level fermi

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by subhendu, Jun 6, 2010.

1. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    Man, you guys are hammering down on him. lol

But unfortunately, it's 100% true. And one thing i will say is that, you should never follow the brands, but the performance. Why does it matter if it's from ATI or Nvidia, if it performs up to your liking who gives a damn.

Sadly i do believe you have wasted money, if you really want to go Nvidia now and want to have near or more performance then ATI's 5850 or 5870 you're gonna have to drop some cash on either a GTX 470/480(which are both great cards, i love my 470:)), otherwise you could always get a GTX 465, but from what i have read it performs in between a 5830 and 5850, so you lose some performance, but it's cheap. If not the 465, then your in a world of hurt, as anything mainstream to be released by Nvidia will not perform even close to the higher end cards from either side.

So really, if your intent was to downgrade, you made a great choice, but if you have a nice amount of cash to spend on a GPU, your options are vast, from the GTX 480 to the 5970, you'll see a nice jump in performance.

And if you don't have the cash... you screwed yourself over.

2. mrsemi

Thanks Received:
    Heh, I am in the same boat minus the extreme fanboyism. I want physx and I made my bed with nvidia when I spent $700 on an 8800 ultra. It got me an exceptional amount of kills.

Considered trading off my xfire setup to try a single 480. The age old xfire/sli problem with compatability is rearing it's head and I'm running on one 5850 most times now anyway. Not that it has anything to desire, just sucks knowing you can't use half your investment most the time.

Might be time to test out the heat.

3. ebolamonkey3

ebolamonkey3 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Heh, I'm just waiting for the next generation of Fermi on 28nm lol. It's a great architecture/idea I think, just not on 40nm.

4. subhendu

subhendu New Member

Thanks Received:
    True mate...I am also waiting for the same ,,,Now I bought a used 8800gt ....so that now I can wait for more dx11 games and 28nm nvidia cards with high tessellation...I really love the video quality of nvidia cards

Last edited: Jun 14, 2010
  5. Paulieg

Paulieg The Mad Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I'll be handing out infractions for those who cannot stay on topic. This is not a fanboy flamebait party. Thank you.