1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Max Payne 3 Question

Discussion in 'Games' started by lyndonguitar, Jun 1, 2012.

1. lyndonguitar

lyndonguitar I play games

Thanks Received:
    Why is this 30+ GB??? the videos must be on 108000P or something lol,

afaik the PC is similar to Console version only with higher textures so why quadruple the size!?!?! lol :confused:

Some Screenies of the PC Version

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Is this worthy of 30 GB??? Skyrim look just as good and its only 5GB, even if you add the high reso pack and its still significantly smaller than 30 GB.

Rockstar to push Max Payne 3 "to its limits" on high-end PCs

Judging from the screens I think that Battlefield 3/Crysis/Metro 2033 still looks better :)

2. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    Similar to but higher textures is a serious contradiction in terms. It's MUCH higher in resolution. That's why the files have to be quadruple the size. Last I read on the Steam download version is it's 29GB though, not 35.

3. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    I think there is many reasons why it's a big as it is, GTA4 was around 20GB if i remember right and if they upped the physics and graphics better than that game then should it not be more expected ?..

Why are people complaining about it anyways ( not saying you are )..

I just hope it's worthy of my $60 which i will find out once it's installed haha.

EDIT
    Game installed is 28.3GB :p.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2012
  4. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    Like GTA4, it has huge textures and lots of them.

Crunching for Team TPU
  5. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Just tried it out and it's pretty sweet once you get used to the extra keys and been able to configure all but the enter key ( yes the numpad is usable ). O yeah textures look good to but i am sure some one will bitch..

6. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    GTA IV was more like 16GB.

7. Dent1

Thanks Received:
    Bad example, GTA is a free world environment. No barriers, go almost wherever you want, whether it's by walking, car, subway, helicopter, from one side of the map to the other with no loading in-between. GTA has way more sprites, objects and A.I. In any given time random events happen like two A.I car crashing, numerous A.I. police chases, fights between two A.I characters etc. The level of resources on a linear game can not be compared to any open world, whether it Crysis 1 or GTA.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2012
  8. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    /rant

Video games don't have to take a lot of space just because of enormous textures, 1080p cutscenes, useless dialogues or some other mediocre shit. They have to be huge because their gameplay is awesome, they have a great replay value and they are not linear. Are these days long gone?

9. TheHunter

TheHunter

Thanks Received:
    That's why :)

And some DX11 info

10. Cheeseball

Thanks Received:
    JrRacinFan says thanks.
  11. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    And I have to agree with you. I have yet to see anything like that with that much detail.

12. Dent1

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2012
    LifeOnMars says thanks.
  13. xenocide

xenocide

Thanks Received:
    Larger higher resolution textures by definition have to come with much larger file sizes. If you want the highest resolution textures the file sizes have to be larger because compressing them goes against everything they exist to remove. At that point why not just use smaller ones and leave them uncompressed?

I have heard nothing but incredible things about MP3, and it has a lot of very high detail cut scenes which advance the plot and probably drive the HDD Space Requirement higher and higher.

That's to show off a Mod. Some of the GTAIV mods made it look that good, and I assure you MP3 will have similar mods that make it look just as incredible.

14. Cheeseball

Thanks Received:
    That second screenshot (and now that I see it, the third one too) still looks way better. Being photorealistic does not equal having better detail. And the fact that it had to be achieved using a mod.

For those who bought the game (on the PC and on max details), can anyone take screenshots while Bullet Time is engaged?

15. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    I also hope it's good. I pre ordered the se edition because I wanted the damn statue.

Crunching for Team TPU
  16. Dent1

Thanks Received:
    I'm sure GTA IV mods look just as good.

My point is Max Payne 3 looks great but can't touch Crysis visually with or without a mod.

17. rick22

rick22 New Member

Thanks Received:
    :nutkick:What a stupid ?.....:nutkick:....

18. KingPing

KingPing

Thanks Received:
    I don't know, Metro 2033 maxed out (exept DOF) looks fantastic IMO, this game looks great too, but not so great to say it's way better.

19. TheHunter

TheHunter

Thanks Received:
    The game looks good. Especially characters, although it has this gta engine vibe to it, but so far it owns and runs great too. No aa, FXAA to the max and voom! :)

20. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    Yes and no. Only some of the compression is permanent and is done to reduce static file size. They can still be compressed further then extracted by the game when levels are loading, restoring them to the state of initial static compression. Only so much of this type of compression can be done though, and the more that is done, the more it slows down load times.

21. MatTheCat New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hmm.

I found Metro 2033 to be the most underwhelming GPU resource hog ever......

........worse than Crysis circa 2007 by a long shot.

And Crysis beats Metro 2033 by a long way and performs much better to.

22. crazyeyesreaper

crazyeyesreaper Chief Broken Rig

Thanks Received:
    Metro 2033 takes my vote as best looking game but thats due to small things that most ppl miss, like subsurface scattering on skin aka in game lighting actually hits the skin shader and permeates into it giving skin a realistic glow from like, something few games do

Max Payne 3 isnt THE best looking game ive seen, but unlike most i can see each little detail here and there thats added via the various post process effects etc and im fairly impressed MSAA performance is terrible but 2xAA all settings max the games around 50-80 fps on my 7970 at stock, 8xAA drops to a crazy low of 18-20 but regardless the game looks and feels fantastic and something it does better then almost any other shooter is animation, dont care what anyone says the way animations are handled in Max Payne 3 for gunplay etc is unmatched. Best looks graphics in the world can't cover up shitty animations. just wish the cutscenes were real time and used tessellation etc so the that the cutscenes would look as good as the game does.

23. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    Metro 2033's graphics look excellent in some respects, not so good in others. Much of the sharp detail is lost in the many places you have to use the gas mask, and on Very High, the excessive blur makes it look horrible overall.

Model detail is phenomenal right down to the boot laces, and shadow and lighting are pretty good for the most part, although Biomass takes on a bit of a cartoony look with all the glowing, and it lags noticeably worse than the rest of the game.

When it comes right down to it, there's no game that really has uber sharp textures on everything in the game. It's not hard to find bad textures in Metro even on higher settings if you really want to get down and dirty and search everywhere for mil grade ammo.