1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Maximus VI Gene with internal Wifi card

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by Steff345, Feb 15, 2014.

1. Steff345

Steff345

Thanks Received:
    hi guys,,

im looking at getting the Asus maximus vi Gene for a new build, and was wondering about the possibility of hooking up a mPCIe wireless card that I have from an old laptop to the mPCIe riser card thingy that the board comes with. Initial googling says that it will work but just want to run it through you guys as well just to confirm:

the model of the wireless card is Atheros ATH-AR5B95. Pic:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also, providing that this works, another idea that Im having is to install the wifi antenna inside the case rather than having antennas sticking out of the case (its a 350D btw). I dug these internal antennas out of an old router, but would these work?

[​IMG]

the connectors on these internal antennae fit (male) exactly onto those of the mPCIe card (female, see above)

thanks in advance
  2. Steff345

Steff345

Thanks Received:
    any ideas about this, anyone?
  3. BazookaJoe

BazookaJoe

Thanks Received:
    Look I'm no expert, but since the real experts are late to the party let me get started with : the case would likely dull the signal somewhat as they are sort of intentionally designed to block RF to reduce interference - not saying it wouldn't work - but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't work GREAT if the antennae where inside the case.

Honestly you may be better off with a slimline WiFi dongle in one of the many many rear USB ports. (Signal wise at least) - unless you want to extend those signal wires...
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. McSteel

McSteel

Thanks Received:
    The WiFi card will work, though I don't know how well a half-height one will be held inside the motherboard's adapter/mount point.
    Those antennae are 1 dBi, and when you put them in the Faraday cage that is your Obsidian 350D (as stated by BazookaJoe), they won't do much of anything.

You could use a cable such as this one, and maybe find a bracket by taking a dead PCI/PCI-E WiFi card and pulling the bracket off, or perhaps from one of these, to mount your antenna connectors on. Then get some stylized discreet-looking antennae and you're golden. Yes, a bit of work and money, but if you want both form and function, expect it to cost you ;)
  5. Steff345

Steff345

Thanks Received:
    thanks for your replies - the half-height card being retained in the adapter was another of my concerns as the asus videos always shows a full-height one being attached to the retention brackets of the riser card.

considering all of these, I think the best solution would be to plug in a usb wifi stick I guess as both of you pointed out. I was thinking of going with this once, since its a nano-plug and would be hardly noticeable -
    http://www.officeworks.com.au/retail/products/Technology/Networking/Wireless-USB-Adapters/NGWNA1000M
  6. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    You would be better off using an extension USB with that and putting it away from the case, as the case would still block the signal to your router.

Or getting something more higher powered.
  7. Steff345

Steff345

Thanks Received:
    I dont really get what you mean here - do you have any examples of usb sticks that I should look out for? links from officeworks or PCCG if possible?
  8. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    You might be fine with the one you linked, however using a USB extension cable will help further if you are ok with your choice.

The adapter I use is an Amped Wireless ACA1 802.11ac USB 3.0 adapter. It comes on an extension cable and has awesome range. However they don't have a distributor in Australia, so Mussels would then chime in an recommend TP-Link. LOL.
  9. Steff345

Steff345

Thanks Received:
  10. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    since you're aussie, i got you covered

http://www.centrecom.com.au/tp-link-tl-wn722n-150mbps-high-gain-wireless-usb-adapter

150Mb, long range wifi adaptor. i have the model without the external aerial and it works well enough 3 rooms from the router - this will do even better.

if you want 5GHz or 300Mb+ you'll have to find another adaptor, but its a nice 'works for 99% of people' adaptor.

i also have a 5Ghz one with shorter range but higher speed, and i run a 3 meter USB extension cord outside my room to boost the signal. will post image of how i have it mounted in a door frame.

edit:

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
  11. BazookaJoe

BazookaJoe

Thanks Received:
    This is an example of an extended range USB WiFi device - there are many models - this is just one example.

Some people may also want to use a USB Extension cable to move the WiFi device further away from the metal of the case - In particularly large homes - or buildings constructed of very dense materials the WiFi signal can be a little feint and an extension cable can be useful for moving the USB WiFi device away from the case, or simply to position it as to receive a feint signal, however for the very large majority of average size homes (globally speaking) this is usually not necessary.

Basically unless you have a valid reason to believe that your WiFi signal from your router may be problematic (you are quite far from your router - or your environment may be problematic (Heavy Concrete / Steel / other electronic devices that you expect ti interfere) )- there is no real need for these.

If all you want it for is regular old internet and WiFi printing and such a standard nano WiFi USB device will work just fine - and IF you have signal problems you may then perhaps try an extension cable or further measures.

There are MILLIONS of people all over the world using a stock standard nano receiver plugged in the back of their case with no problems at all.

EDIT : MUSS posted a good example too, and it also reminded me another use for the usb extension cable in the case of a device as long as that one is to provide a little protection for your actual USB port - a very long device such as that or a card reader that sticks out directly from a port may potentially take an impact down the line damaging both devices - where as using a short extension cable would give you more play - and flexibility in placing the device - again assuming you are not using a nano receiver.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  12. Steff345

Steff345

Thanks Received:
    awesome - thanks for that mate - i'll pick one up from Centrecom :)

in my case, Im not too far away from the router (around 20m) and there's only 2 plasterboard walls in between so I guess it should not cause much interference with the signal
  13. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    I have a wireless antenna mounted inside my Elite 120, no problems with signal anywhere in the house.
  14. McSteel

McSteel

Thanks Received:
    It's got just enough plastic to break the cage...