1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Medias new build-[in progress]

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by mediasorcerer, Sep 9, 2012.

1. mediasorcerer New Member

Thanks Received:
    check him out, havent got a case yet, barebones system but its working and i can even game at low res ok with the hd4000.
    the i5 3570k is fast!!

someone suggest a dedicated gpu for round 250-300$$$? amd or nvidia.

Attached Files:

2. tacosRcool

tacosRcool

Thanks Received:
    the AMD 7870 Ghz edition is right up in that price range

mediasorcerer says thanks.
  3. mediasorcerer New Member

Thanks Received:
    Is it better than 7950? i can get a his 7950 for 319$au atm, whats more bang for buck?7950 or 7870?

cheers for input, haint had a computer for a while now so bit out of touch with latest gear lol.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2012
  4. mediasorcerer New Member

Thanks Received:
    Heres a little "ghetto" mod i did with a fan off of an ancient pentium chip[circa 1996 i think lol], i noticed there is a lot of heat given off on the back of the card, so i used some old rubber fan mounts and voila- 2degrees less idle temps no kidding, was idling at 34 now its 32, anyways,its a rat box comp atm but il git a nice case sooner or later, check foto.

Attached Files:

5. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    for what specific card? I was thinking of doing that with a Heatsink for a x1950 Pro AGP bridge (Thinking of Making the Sig rig into a dual boot and see if i can get 7 to work fully on it)

6. mediasorcerer New Member

Thanks Received:
    Its a 7950 i just bought , my reasoning was, because of the way the card is mounted, and as heat rises, then maybe the little fan can help dissipate heat from the back of the chip, [and i like tinkering lol]

7. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    ya it does make sense, thats why i think heatsinks should be a twin design sandwiching the card

mediasorcerer says thanks.
  8. mediasorcerer New Member

Thanks Received:
    Exactly, especially given that most gpu,s sit with the fan facing downwards.
    I wish they would put a cover on the back of gpu,s too[i know some have] as its exposed circuitry and those tiny resistors etc are prone to damage with only slight force id imagine.

In fact a fan/heatsink could be built into the cover somehow?

I had an idea of using a 12 volt car fridge, you know those small eskies for cars, pulll the freezer components out and wire it into you computer hehe, man i love technology, and design, love knowing how things work, love industrial design too.