1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Memory Circuits the Size of a White Blood Cell

Discussion in 'News' started by Jimmy 2004, Jan 29, 2007.

1. Jimmy 2004

Jimmy 2004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]
    Chemists from UCLA and the California Institute of Technology have managed to create an ultra-dense memory device capable of storing 100 Gb (gigabits) per square centimetre, an accomplishment which could lead to much smaller and more powerful computers than we have today. The memory uses a series of perpendicular nanowires crossing over each other, with 400 silicon wires crossed by 400 titanium wires, both 16nm wide. At each crossing are approximately 300 bistable rotaxane molecules which can act as switches and therefore be used to store data in a very small space.

Source: DailyTech
  2. Slater Guest

Thats amazing
  3. zOaib New Member

Thanks Received:
    unbelievable !!! :eek:

i love technology
  4. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    "I dont' know what any of that means, but I like the sound of it" ;)
  5. pt

pt not a suicide-bomber

Thanks Received:
    me too :)
  6. Rodster New Member

Thanks Received:
    You gotta love honesty, add me to the list. :D
  7. Jimmy 2004

Jimmy 2004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Even I don't really know what it means TBH... I just picked out what I could sort of understand and posted it :D

Essentially it has tiny bits of wire crossing each other and stores data at the exact points where they cross. I think.
  8. WarEagleAU

WarEagleAU Bird of Prey

Thanks Received:
    Pretty soon the computers will be like one of those commercials (for the ps9) about the size of a human hair with interactive 3d technology. I love this!
  9. OnBoard

OnBoard New Member

Thanks Received:
    "At each crossing are approximately 300 bistable rotaxane molecules which can act as switches and therefore be used to store data in a very small space."

Bistable meaning here molecules that have to stable states so 1 & 0. Basicly the wires are there just to hold the rotaxane molecules in plaze, which store the actual data. Well that and to transmit the state of the molecules. How they do that and how come there are 300 of them in one crossing goes over my head xD Can't grasp something so tiny working, so I'll join the list :)

If I'd have to guess more, the titanium wires are there to offer structural stability and silicon wires act as semiconductors whose electrical conductivity those rotaxane molecules alter. But I really don't know =)
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2007
  10. Slater Guest