• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

memory issue on z68 extreme7 and i7 3770k

System Name HOMECOMPUTER
Processor Intel i9 - 9900k @ 5.1Ghz - 1.31v
Motherboard Asux ROG Maximus XI Hero Wifi
Cooling ek supremacy evo full nickle, 2xEK 360 Radiators, ek d5 pump/res combo, ek full cover 2080ti block
Memory 16GB DDR 3600 Trident Z RGB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 2080TI
Storage 1xWD black NVME 500GB, 1xSamsung 970 Evo Plus NVME 1TB
Display(s) 2 Dell Gaming 27" 1440P Gsync
Case Lian LI PC-011 Dynamic
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Evga P2 1200Watt
Mouse Zowie FK1+
Keyboard Corsair Strafe rgb silent
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores i'm working on that
I have a 16GB kit of ddr3 2133 g.skill trident x.

Using the xmp settings and proper memory voltages i cannot run the memory at 2133 but i can run it at 2000 when overclocked to 4.7ghz 1.29v. There are other voltage settings pch, pll, vtt, vssa(not sure if i'm right with that one), that i can configure...

What are some items in the bios is should be looking at to stabilize my memory at this clock?

cadaveca

My name is Dave
I have a 16GB kit of ddr3 2133 g.skill trident x.

Using the xmp settings and proper memory voltages i cannot run the memory at 2133 but i can run it at 2000 when overclocked to 4.7ghz 1.29v. There are other voltage settings pch, pll, vtt, vssa(not sure if i'm right with that one), that i can configure...

What are some items in the bios is should be looking at to stabilize my memory at this clock?

Normal issue.

Post up some pics of your BIOS, and the actual model number of your sticks, we'll get it working for ya. MXPhenom ran into the same issue with that board, similar memory, so I already have an idea of what you need to change.

VCCSA should go to 1.05 V, the others should need any changes. But the problem is likely secondary timings.

System Name HOMECOMPUTER
Processor Intel i9 - 9900k @ 5.1Ghz - 1.31v
Motherboard Asux ROG Maximus XI Hero Wifi
Cooling ek supremacy evo full nickle, 2xEK 360 Radiators, ek d5 pump/res combo, ek full cover 2080ti block
Memory 16GB DDR 3600 Trident Z RGB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 2080TI
Storage 1xWD black NVME 500GB, 1xSamsung 970 Evo Plus NVME 1TB
Display(s) 2 Dell Gaming 27" 1440P Gsync
Case Lian LI PC-011 Dynamic
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Evga P2 1200Watt
Mouse Zowie FK1+
Keyboard Corsair Strafe rgb silent
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores i'm working on that
Thank you Cadaveca, i'm working atm, gimme an hour or so!!!

cadaveca

My name is Dave
For MxPhenom and his board and mem issue, we actually had to set a few timings TIGHTER to get it working right.

His new rig, and his Dominator Platinums, had to go one setting looser from what the board set.

Different brands of memory, although they might use the same PCB and ICs, usually have far different SPD programming, and that's what really sets one stick apart from the others. Quite a few boards out there set their own secondary and tertiary timings, usually based on the sticks the BIOS engineer has on-hand, which might not work with other sticks. That's why I keep a crap-load of memory around, as sometimes even getting a kit booted can be an issue. Certain brands of sticks and certain boards simply don't get along well, but 9/10 times, manually adjusting settings fixes the issue. Sometimes, there's just nothing to be done, and everything is actually perfectly fine.