1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Microsoft closes public beta of Windows Vista RC2 and limits final Vista license

Discussion in 'News' started by zekrahminator, Oct 13, 2006.

1. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    The Windows Vista development team wants to thank everyone who participated in the famous Customer Preview Program, and definitely wants to emphasize that every comment received helps make Windows Vista better. However, the CPP is officially closed. The Vista development team reached their goal of 200,000 downloads in just about 72 hours. However, the Vista development team has also released some critical information about the license of the final operating system. The end user is only allowed to move Vista once (from one computer to another) before that user has to buy a completely new copy of Windows Vista. The Windows Vista development team has also decided to change the 90 day express warranty to 1 year.

Source: Windows Vista team blog on TechNet
  2. Seany1212

Seany1212

Thanks Received:
    sod that, that sucks, since XP has been out i've had about 3-4 mobos and cpus, so microsuck are now telling me i have to spend X amount on my mobo and cpu, then the ridiculous price they're charging for vista AGAIN?! :mad:
  3. Lt_JWS

Lt_JWS

Thanks Received:
    im screwed then... i change hardware monthly lol guess i'l be sticking to XP
  4. Leon2ky New Member

Thanks Received:
    That policy will be yanked or there will be a way to get around it, no doubt in my mind. Microsoft is seriously punching themselves in the balls now.
  5. wazzledoozle

wazzledoozle New Member

Thanks Received:
    I need to make a "pirate vista" banner.
  6. Azn Tr14dZ New Member

Thanks Received:
    recently I've been changing hardware, and everytime I've had to call MS to re-activate my key, hopefully I can still do that to Vista. If not, they better take that policy out.
  7. lemonadesoda

lemonadesoda

Thanks Received:
    Although I'm a legal owner of XP, the need to constantly "reactivate" forced me to use a volume-license serial (which I got from a hack site!). Sad, but true.
  8. xylomn

xylomn New Member

Thanks Received:
    This sucks, I'm pretty sure they'll be stopped from doing that especially here in europe, I find it hard that they'll be allowed to stop people from using a product they have paid for.

By the way you say 'move' vista from one computer to another, so if something goes horribly wrong with the OS, it can't be repaired and you need to reformat and install does this count or not coz technically you aint moving the OS
  9. wazzledoozle

wazzledoozle New Member

Thanks Received:
    This is different from activation, this means if you change your mobo twice then Vista will stop working until you buy a new copy. Fuck Microsoft.
  10. Agility

Agility

Thanks Received:
    Which company doesn't love to eat money? Espically from M$
  11. Jimmy 2004

Jimmy 2004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Damn... didn't download it in time. Going to have to look around the web for it.

Edit: can't find a download link and torrenting is capped on my connection... think I'll just get rid of Vista now.
  12. Agility

Agility

Thanks Received:
    Don't bother about Vista. Stick to XP.
  13. Jimmy 2004

Jimmy 2004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Perhaps we should make a "boycott vista" banner as well as the "pirate vista" one Wazz suggested?
  14. Agility

Agility

Thanks Received:
    I'm looking forward:D
  15. overcast New Member

Thanks Received:
    Except when all the DX10 games start rolling out, and you all install it anyhow. If you're a gamer, I would love to see you boycott Vista down the road, I really would.
  16. Jimmy 2004

Jimmy 2004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm expect DX10 on XP will be possible if people want it badly enough. Anyway, it would only be a boycott untill they alter the license. I don't expect any boycott to work because as you say, too many people would give in, but if they didn't M$ might be swayed.
  17. Makaveli New Member

Thanks Received:
    MS will make sure DX10 won't run on XP.
    So you will be out of luck!
  18. overcast New Member

Thanks Received:
    For Microsoft to be swayed by any type of boycott, it would have to be on the OEM level. Do you honestly think they give a shit about a small percentage of enthusiasts? They make all their money from businesses and oem manufacturers. Not individuals. Now I agree , that their entire licensing scheme sucks. But I also realize , that this is a direct effect from millions of pirated copies of their software being distributed over the years. You want to play, you have to pay. It's not like they began with this scheme with their very first OS.

They have every right to protect their property, of course their are better ways than other to go about it.
  19. strick94u

strick94u New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes Microsoft at its best see in the last 3 months I have done 5 major changes on my pc and reformated at least 7 times I would have been bent to the curb by microshaft Thanks for your trust Bill Gates Now you show us the real you again
  20. strick94u

strick94u New Member

Thanks Received:
    Reminder::twitch: Russian boy is a great guy and wonderful person Dont piss off the russianboy
  21. Jimmy 2004

Jimmy 2004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes, but should they have the right to 'expire' our software when we upgrade a PC? At the end of the day, if I were to buy Vista (which I have no intention of doing so) then I would expect to be able to use one copy of it at a time on any PC. It's like films... you don't expect to buy a different film for every TV you want to watch it on. If I get Vista it won't be coming out of my pocket, I know that much.
  22. xylomn

xylomn New Member

Thanks Received:
    exactly, if we pay for the software we should be allowed to install it as many times as we want (on the same computer upgraded or not as long as its only on one PC at a time that should be fine).