1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Microsoft Reports Record First-Quarter Revenue of $18.53 Billion

Discussion in 'News' started by Cristian_25H, Oct 24, 2013.

1. Cristian_25H

Cristian_25H News Poster

Thanks Received:
    Microsoft Corp. today announced revenue of $18.53 billion for the quarter ended September 30, 2013. Gross margin, operating income, net income, and diluted earnings per share for the quarter were $13.42 billion, $6.33 billion, $5.24 billion, and $0.62 per share.

These financial results reflect the deferral of $113 million of revenue primarily related to Windows 8.1 Pre-sales. All growth comparisons in the press release relate to the corresponding period in the last fiscal year, unless otherwise noted.

The following table reconciles these financial results reported in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) to non-GAAP financial results. We have provided this non-GAAP financial information to aid investors in better understanding the company's performance.

[​IMG]

"Our devices and services transformation is progressing and we are launching a wide range of compelling products and experiences this fall for both business and consumers," said Steve Ballmer, chief executive officer at Microsoft. "Our new commercial services will help us continue to outgrow the enterprise market, and we are seeing lots of consumer excitement for Xbox One, Surface 2 and Surface Pro 2, and the full spectrum of Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone devices."

"We saw strong focus across our teams, generating record first-quarter revenue even as we navigate a fundamental business transition. Our enterprise renewals were very healthy and our devices and consumer business continued to improve," said Amy Hood, chief financial officer at Microsoft. "We are making strategic investments in areas like technological innovation, supply chain management, and global cloud operations to build for the future and create long-term shareholder value."

Devices and Consumer revenue grew 4% to $7.46 billion.
    • Windows OEM revenue declined 7%; Windows Pro revenue grew for the second consecutive quarter.
    • Surface revenue grew to $400 million with sequential growth in revenue and units sold over the prior quarter.
    • Search advertising revenue grew 47% driven by an increase in revenue per search and volume.

Commercial revenue grew 10% to $11.20 billion.
    • SQL Server revenue grew double-digits, with SQL Server Premium revenue growing more than 30%.
    • Lync, SharePoint, and Exchange, our productivity server offerings, collectively grew double-digits.
    • Commercial cloud revenue grew 103%.

"We continue to execute well across our businesses and we are seeing robust demand for our enterprise products and cloud services. Strong customer adoption of Office 365, Azure, and Dynamics CRM Online is accelerating our business transition to the cloud," said Kevin Turner, chief operating officer at Microsoft. "Our investments in SQL database platform, Hyper-V, System Center, and Lync are driving market share gains as these comprehensive solutions enable customers to increase their insight and efficiency."

2. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    Nice work Microsoft :)

3. Tonduluboy

Tonduluboy

Thanks Received:
    In my state there are around 3 million residents, and ONLY 1 APPLE MAC Store... OTHER pc store selling PC/LAPTOP bundle with microsoft.

Looking at this statement, you must say This Apple store must be making at lot of money!
    No it is NOT. This is why Microsoft getting high revenue!

4. Dent1

Thanks Received:
    Actually Apples Q4 revenue last year was 54.5 Billion :)

Also Apple is a high end niche product, to remain niche it's important they don't over saturate the market. Hence why there are fewer store locations.

5. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Physical stores has little to do with how good they sell. I have like 1000km to the nearest Apple store and their stuff still sell like hotcakes.

And high end smartphones is not a niche market. It might be narrow in scope, but the amount of phones there is staggering and they sell like hotcakes.

6. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    not disagreeing but i assume he was talking about the actual computers, someone owning a mac today is still much less common than someone owning a pc. whereas smartphones you are right, and i see more people with iphones than anything else.

7. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Apple is selling a lot of tablets also. Its proof that people are stupid .

anonymous6366 and erixx say thanks.
  8. erixx

erixx

Thanks Received:
    Win 8(.1)/Surface freaking rules, I just love it more and more every day !!!! :)
    (I have no MS stocks, but I know I should hahahahaha)

9. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    yes nice job company that's trying to kill the desktop pc... windows 8 and byzantine pricing on your commercial products FOREVAH!!!

10. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    please explain?

Crunching for Team TPU
  11. Frick

Thanks Received:
    You mean they are stupid to buy a good tablet?

Yes. MS is secretly financing Apple and Google and all the OEM's in order for them to make more tablets and smartphones, which competes with MS products. It's all coming together.

erixx and Easy Rhino say thanks.
  12. TheHunter

TheHunter

Thanks Received:
    Apple is not that popular here, but for some reason there are at least 4-5 Apple stores in an area of 15km xD, one or two of them are in a big shopping center.

13. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    and they bought nokia too!

14. de.das.dude

Thanks Received:
    lol same here, dont know why but there's one in my neighbourhood and one 10mins away XD

15. HossHuge

HossHuge

Thanks Received:
    With the amount of online buying that goes on now especially with computer products the amount of physical stores means squat.

16. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Don't like Apple. They are pretentious, overpriced, lack features, and proprietary. Also don't like tablets in general. But its mostly just a rant over a few experiences Ive had so try not to take it too personally.

17. Easy Rhino

Thanks Received:
    well i think you are stupid. try not to take it too personally.

Crunching for Team TPU
  18. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Clearly I can be :)

Easy Rhino says thanks.
  19. anonymous6366

anonymous6366

Thanks Received:
    haha I kinda agree

20. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    For myself I wouldn't ever again (G3, G4, Ipod Touch) pay retail for an apple device. it's just not worth it to me. they are top quality, but I just can't get over how locked down they are. I don't care if it's necessary, I want to be able to look at the inner workings and mess around.

I actually really like Max OS X in all it's flavors, I just am not a fan of IOS. their hardware is always superb... When it comes to desktops/imacs though it's just the price.

21. Easy Rhino

Thanks Received:
    the only thing i dislike about iDevices is that they are so locked down. i wish there was better integration for linux devices. i know that technically it is possible but i doubt it will ever be done for business reasons.

Crunching for Team TPU
  22. de.das.dude

Thanks Received:
    they sell more because THEY ARE LOCKED DOWN. Dumb people dont need to bother with more things so they like the stuff.

Its called knowing your audience XD

23. Frick

Thanks Received:
    If it's locked down or not doesn't matter on a phone (and tablets) for 99.99% of the population, for various good reasons.

24. zack tyler New Member

Thanks Received:
    Microsoft on the rise

Microsoft has proved all its doubters wrong by exceeding all analyst expectations. The revenues reported exceeded analyst expectations by $700 million. Growth in all segments was higher than estimated.
    Although the PC demand remains volatile, the growth in the consumer segment was largely attributable to Microsoft’s Office 365, Skype and SkyDrive. The other reason for the growth in this segment was the Microsoft surface tablets which have started to gain traction in the market and with the acquisition of Nokia, Microsoft expects to increase its share by 15% in the smartphone market.
    Hardware revenues are expected to grow 35-45% because of the surface tablet gaining share and the upcoming launch of the new Xbox one in the holiday season.
    All the implementations of new policies indicate only one thing for Microsoft, That good days lie ahead.
    http://goo.gl/MJ6lzq