1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Microsoft Surface with Windows 8 Pro Gets Priced

Discussion in 'News' started by Cristian_25H, Nov 30, 2012.

1. Mathragh

Mathragh

Thanks Received:
    I know that in all probability you dont really mean 1ms. This because even the best screens on the market atm dont even have 1ms response times, even when ignoring the whole rendering/processing stages on the PC. Further more, iirc, for designing you need the best color representation possible, which is generally achieved by using IPS panels-> they generally have a response time which is quite a bit slower then regular panels(in the order of 10ms for quick ones).

However, I get your point, and for that matter, I can say from experience, that atleast the surface RT has quite good response times. I know it isnt exactly what you mean, but this shows that the response times on the surface RT, when rendering stuff, is atleast not awefull and compared to the nexus 10 actually quite good.

2. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    Frick says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. Mathragh

Mathragh

Thanks Received:
    So what you're actually saying is digital design as it is been done at this moment is garbage?
    I'm saying this since no screen at the moment, let alone whole system has 1 ms response times, except perhaps the one in your thread, which doesnt really count as a useable design system imho.

Just curious to what you actually mean here.

4. brandonwh64

Thanks Received:
    I am just saying that the tech is being developed and when it get released into devices such as tablets, it will make for a better designing platform.

Crunching for Team TPU
  5. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    huh?

6. brandonwh64

Thanks Received:
    I think scrizz though you were talking about the IPAD compared to a PC.

Crunching for Team TPU
  7. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    bah! obviously PC is superior!

8. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
  9. brandonwh64

Thanks Received:
    I said designing on a tablet is garbage not that the new "TECH" was garbage...

Crunching for Team TPU
  10. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    If you are designing on a tablet you aren't designing much of anything. Much like trying to do real work on most ultrabooks.

10 Million points folded for TPU
  11. Dillinger

Dillinger

Thanks Received:
    I can't stand windows 8 it's so ugly

12. Ravenas

Ravenas

Thanks Received:
    Dreadful battery life... Ridiculous specs. Priced way too high. This is a flop.

Easy Rhino says thanks.
  13. _Zod_ New Member

Thanks Received:
    This is just another Windows Slate PC MS been flopping with for over a decade. You can get a better spec'ed Ultra-book with longer battery life and less weight for this price. This will remain the niche product the slates have been for years.

It does have a couple of pluses, the digitizer and screen, big whoop. These will not be flying off the shelves especially during a recession.

14. _Zod_ New Member

Thanks Received:
    While I agree the new front end UI sucks hardcore, once you install a third party app to bypass it so you can boot to the desktop and have a start menu, it's on a par with Windows 7. Though I absolutely HATE the ribbon replacement for a proper menu.

Dillinger says thanks.
  15. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    Not really, it's a fully fledged tablet that runs metro apps perfectly, if you want to do some serious work on it then use the keyboard and a wireless mouse with it to run your x86 programs.

I personally think the surface is the sexiest tablet in the market place though it's also priced out of the market for most, the ARM version should have been £300 and the x86 around £600, this would of been perfect pricing to enable mass early adoption imo though I think they are going to milk it for as much as they can get away with at first and they will likely end up around this price.

Mathragh says thanks.
  16. Mathragh

Mathragh

Thanks Received:
    This. The only problem with this is that they totally outplay all their hardware partners that way, hence the higher price.

17. fullinfusion

fullinfusion 1.21 Gigawatts

Thanks Received:
    Ummm, Hmmm, Not this guy! It must be made of gold for the price. thanks but no thanks MS

18. Dillinger

Dillinger

Thanks Received:
    back when Windows 8 came out in beta i got, installed it, & hated it lol I agree with you it runs great but those stupid squares lol (ugly part) but the functionality yucky IMO

19. Octavean

Thanks Received:
    I think people that were interested in the PC tablet market before Windows 8 release previews (say when Windows 7 tablet hardware was new) and researched it were well aware of the price range of the hardware. The Microsoft Surface pro and other Windows 8 PC (x86 / x64) tablets can be considered an Ivy Bridge upgrade from previous Sandy Bridge tablets. The prices in some cases are even lower by comparison.

I think the people suggesting the price should be lower aren’t using such a frame of reference and just wont it to be cheaper.

20. Am*

Thanks Received:
    Give it 6 months, it will be about $599 by then...

21. exodusprime1337

exodusprime1337

Thanks Received:
    they are referring to it not being arm

22. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
  23. avatar_raq

Thanks Received:
    I am sure there will be other win 8 pro tablets with more power efficient cpus like atom or amd's stuff with decent performance, better price and superior battery life. We just need to wait and see.

24. Octavean

Thanks Received:

Well there are 64GB and 128GB SSD versions of the Microsoft Surface Pro and other Windows 8 x86 / x64 tablets with similar pricing in the market as well. Given the variety I can say with certainty that the above quote is inaccurate. There is virtually no way that both the ~$900 (64 GB SSD) and ~$1000 (128GB SSD) will both drop to $600.

Furthermore the logic that suggest a significant pending price drop like that (33% for the former and 40% for the latter) ignores the fact that there was no such price drop for their predecessors similar to this in the Windows 7 PC tablet market (even after models were replaced with Windows 8 tablets).

So if it didn’t happen before why would it happen now?

Also even if it did happen it likely would be a sign of serious problems in the PC market as a whole and serious economic issues beyond that if such a product could be so devalued in such a short time. It’s the type of thing people probably shouldn’t wish for,…..like AMD significantly dropping their prices even further,…given their tenuous position.

If anything I expect there “might” be some deals like possibly dropping the price of the attachable keyboards to nothing with purchase of a Surface Pro and maybe some cash off for a limited time but not ~$300 to ~$400 respectively,….

25. mediasorcerer New Member

Thanks Received:
    MS have lost the plot.