• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Mixing Ram on Motherboard

Exile_Chavez

System Name Build 1
Processor AMD Phenom II X4 955 3.2ghz
Motherboard MSI 770-C45 AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard
Cooling Xigmatek Dark Knight, 3 120mm Intakes, 1 200mm Exchaust, 2 140mm Exchausts
Memory OCZ Gold 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 1333mhz
Video Card(s) XFX HD-577A-ZNDC Radeon HD 5770 XXX Edition 1GB 128-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP
Storage WD Blue 640GB 7200 RPM
Display(s) ACER 23" Full HD HDMI Widescreen Monitor
Case NZXT Phantom Black
Audio Device(s) None
Power Supply OCZ StealthXStream 700W ATX12V/EPS12V SLI Ready Crossfire Ready
Software Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Well I have a friend that I am building a computer for, and I had all the parts chosen already, but AMD just released their new line of CPUs :toast:

So I did some editing, and now with the new motherboard, I found some new RAM(on sale), but he already has a set that isn't being used. Details are going to be below. What I am wondering is if these 2 set(s) of RAM can be mixed without both loss of power and BSODs.

This is the motherboard:
Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, L...

It is compatible with DDR3 1033-1866(close to that. and including DDR3 1600) 240pin ram, up to 32gb of the stuff. With that in the cart I have:

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3...

Which is DDR3 1600, 4gb single stick(dual channel if combined), GSkill RipJaw Series, and is compatible with the motherboard. The RAM he currently has is this:
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333...

which is DDR3 1333, 2x2gb dual channel GSkill RipJaw Series and would be compatible with the motherboard also.

What I am unsure of is if the combination of the RAM, to total up 8gb, would work together with this motherboard. I would put it in so that the dual channel set would occupy the 2nd color set and have the single stick in the first slot of the non-used color set(can anyone tell me the name of those sets?).

Any help/advice would be much appreciated, because I would rather avoid having to send back the single stick due to incompatibility. On a side note, the reason we don't just order another set of the RAM he has already is because he wants 12gb at some point, so leaving the 4th slot for another 4gb would allow him to.

Many thanks in advanced.

System Name If you name your systems, get a boy/girlfriend...
Processor i7 4770k
Motherboard Asus Maximus VI Formula
Cooling Custom waterloop around Black Ice GTX 360
Memory 16GB DDR3
Video Card(s) GTX 1080 FE
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 1TB
Case HAF 932
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Software Windows 10 x64
Hi,

Yes, you can mix these sticks together. (especially that all are 1.5V)
You'll still keep dual-channel (which is important), but all 4 stick will be clocked at 1333.

For general PC use and gaming, memory speed has very little impact.
If you're not into benching and overclocking, this PC will be absolutely fine.#
You can probably save some money by buying more 1333 memory instead of 1600.

Cheers