• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Molex connectors nowadays?

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
I don't get it. So do you want more form factors or not? I want more. At this rate, it isn't likely to happen but everyone would benefit from more modern form factors that eliminate two decades of backward compatibility.

Except me who just got a PSU in the year that only works with ATX...

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
You'd only switch form factors when buying a new computer.

Case in point, ATX motherboard won't work in a microATX case.

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Let's calm down and @Bill_Bright let's not call people dense.
You are correct, and I personally and sincerely apologize to FordGT90Concept, TPU and others reading for losing my professionalism :oops:. I got frustrated by having to reiterate again what I have been repeatedly saying over and over again - not an excuse, just an explanation.

You'd only switch form factors when buying a new computer. Case in point, ATX motherboard won't work in a microATX case.
:(

Case in point - µATX is NOT an entirely different form factor! It is just a variant. Note µATX, ATX, and even EATX all use the exact same power and data connections, the exact same power supplies and voltages, and they must adhere to the exact same voltage regulation and ripple suppression minimum standards. And µATX motherboards still comply with ATX form factor standards for shape and placement of mounting holes.

It is NOT that an ATX motherboard will not "work" in a µATX case, it is that it is too long to "physically" fit. But it will electrically fit. You can use the same RAM, connect the same drives, same USB devices, and even the same (though fewer) expansion cards - the size, shape and electrical requirements are all the same. But note a µATX motherboard WILL fit (and work) in a mid ATX case or a full ATX case with the motherboard's rear I/O panel, expansion slots and motherboard mounting holes aligning up perfectly, just as a mid or full size ATX motherboard will. Even the CPU socket location is still the same to align with backplate access in cases that support that, as well as case front panel buttons, LED indicators, sound and USB ports.

Note the ATX standard variants address "slim" ATX cases for "low profile" cards and PSUs too - cases and supplies that again, use the same connectors and voltages. No need for a totally new form factor.

To reiterate one last time, I am NOT in favor of new form factor standards for the "PC" because the current ATX Form Factor is working just fine. And more importantly, it can - as it has several times for AGP, PCIe, SATA, color coding, tighter ±5% tolerances, hungrier graphics, etc. etc. - be "revised" to adjust for advances in technologies and trends - WITHOUT the need for a total rewrite.

IF "all" the major players (Intel, AMD, Dell, HP, Lenovo, ASUS, Gigabyte, NVIDIA, ACER, MSI, Micron, Samsung, Sony, WD, Seagate, Corsair, Antec, Thermaltake, Seasonic, Cooler Master, Foxconn, etc.) could and would come to a consensus and universally agree on new form factor standards for AiOs, notebooks, PCs, SFF and Next Unit of Computing (NUC) size computers that allowed consumers (you and me) to build and upgrade our own computers picking and choosing components from competing makers with the assurance they would all physically and electrically be compatible, then and only then would I be open to a new form factor standard.

But because these companies will never give up their profitable, proprietary designs, a new industry-wide standard is not going to happen.

Molex is a name of quality as it was in past years. Through 54 plants in 19 countries, Molex manufactures more than 100,000 products sold primarily to manufacturers involved in the computer, office equipment, telecommunications, home appliance/home entertainment, and automotive industries.

System Name Marmo / Kanon
Processor Intel Core i7 9700K / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi / X570S Aorus Pro AX
Cooling Noctua NH-U12S x 2
Memory Corsair Vengeance 32GB 2666-C16 / 32GB 3200-C16
Video Card(s) KFA2 RTX3070 Ti / Asus TUF RX 6800XT OC
Storage Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB, 860 EVO 1TB / Samsung 970 Pro 1TB, 970 EVO+ 1TB
Display(s) Dell AW2521HFA / U2715H
Case Fractal Design Focus G / Pop Air RGB
Audio Device(s) Onboard / Creative SB ZxR
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus GX 650W / PX 750W
Mouse Logitech MX310 / G1
Keyboard Logitech G413 / G513
Software Win 11 Ent
Fans and my old SB X-Fi Elite Pro also needs one.