1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Monitor is not getting signal from PC!?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Hvale2k5, Dec 13, 2010.

1. Hvale2k5 New Member

Thanks Received:
    hey guys,

I think my CPU or Video card got burn while i was playing WoW(PC freezes while playing) and i'm not sure if Motherboard/CPU/Card causes the problem...
    My monitor is not getting signal from the HD5770 nor the on-board graphic card anymore after the crash (monitor does work with my laptop)

Spec:
    Phenom ii x2 (unlock x3, running at 3.7 prime 95 stable..temps around 40-50c most of the time)
    Motherboard: Asrock 880gxh/usb3
    Gigabyte hd5770 super overclock edition (900/1200)
    Cosair 650w tx

PC is 5months old and ran most of the high end games fine (cod bo, crysis, bf:bc2 etc) then i came back to wow: cat and this happened..
  2. PVTCaboose1337

PVTCaboose1337 Graphical Hacker

Thanks Received:
    Ok so it looks like the problem is not the onboard or the video card, you can rule those out. I would rule out the monitor was well like you said. That would leave:

Hard drive (which you can test)
    PSU (which you can test by powering on system)
    Ram (which I suspect the problem is at)
    Mobo (could be a dead cmos battery)
    CPU (unlikely)

I would first try replacing the CMOS battery.

I am still unsure on the issue, you cannot see the picture at all?
  3. streetfighter 2

streetfighter 2 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sorry to hear that.

Did you try resetting the CMOS?

When you turn it on do any of the diagnostic features (LEDs, beeps, etc.) give any hints?
  4. Hvale2k5 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I did Reset cmos
    PSU is working since all fans are running+ video card fan
    Ram: i did a memtest couple months ago and it passes 5 test.
    Picture is blank, saying "no signal"
  5. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    that is not correct. just because a few fans spin is not a good indication at all.
  6. Hvale2k5 New Member

Thanks Received:
    how do i fully test it?
  7. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    with a multimeter, check every rail.
  8. rickss69

Thanks Received:
    I have run into this from time to time...often it is as simple as unplugging the vga connector after a boot and re-attaching it. Good luck.
  9. Hvale2k5 New Member

Thanks Received:
    ok its not the PSU, i plugged in my brother 600w cpu and it still doesn't work. all parts were bought from Newegg brand new late junes...
  10. streetfighter 2

Thanks Received:
    Did you try removing the HD5770 and using onboard?

I've never seen a board more devoid of diagnostic features. There are no troubleshooting LEDs. There is no piezoelectric speaker. There is a chassis speaker header but there is no description of the beep codes... There isn't even a troubleshooting section in the mobo manual. What the hell?
  11. Hvale2k5 New Member

Thanks Received:
    tried everything....(new cmost battery, onboard,5770's vga/dvi) frustrating because i don't know which part causing the problem. Does any1 know if best buy/microcenter do computer inspection?
  12. Bundy

Bundy

Thanks Received:
    If you can try some other RAM, give it a go. Otherwise try booting with no RAM, then reboot with RAM. You also might try only 1 stick of RAM and no peripherals (e.g. HDD, DVD)
  13. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    check the lamp on monitor, does it blinking or change color? If yes it means the monitor got signal from vga, then check your vga: try to slot in and check the connection
    check your vga heat, does it goes warm? If yes your vga run well
    try to remove the card and check the bios, it should mark as pciex as 1st display the slot it again
    or the last try to change the slot and run it again
    i hope it works
  14. Hvale2k5 New Member

Thanks Received:
    i can't go to bios, monitor is not getting any signal. My guess at this time is the MOTHERBOARD, when the pc crash i can smell the burn but it not from the cpu or gcard.
  15. silkstone

silkstone

Thanks Received:
    Sounds like the RAM to me, i get a similar thing happen when i clock the ram too high. I have to re-set the Cmos to get it working again. Maybe you could borrow a stick from your brothers computer?
  16. Hvale2k5 New Member

Thanks Received:
    yea but at least i can boot it up and go to bios if it's RAM? god damn my 6 years p4 system still running solid and this one is just 5 months old..
  17. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    no, if the ram isnt working you wont get any boot at all.
  18. silkstone

silkstone

Thanks Received:
    Bad ram will usually just give a black screen, no bios option and no beeps, Your fans and everything will start up, but the display is blank.
    At least thaat's what happens to me.

Try taking out the RAM and booting, if your Motherboard is fine (and you have the pc speaker cable blugged in) you should get a series of beeps telling you that the error is no-ram.

I'd also unplug the ATI card and try with onboard untill you manage to get it booted to bios.
  19. streetfighter 2

Thanks Received:
    I know no one is going to listen to me, but I figure why not try?

Hvale2k5's board has an AMI BIOS and therefore uses the AMI BIOS beep codes (but has no piezo speaker):
    Column 1 Column 2
    0 Beep Code Descriptions
    1 1 short Memory refresh timer error.
    2 2 short Parity error.
    3 3 short Main memory read / write test error.
    4 4 short System timer failure.
    5 5 short Process error.
    6 6 short Keyboard controller BAT test error.
    7 7 short General exception error.
    8 8 short Display memory error.
    9 9 short ROM BIOS checksum error.
    10 10 short CMOS shutdown Read/Write error.
    11 11 short Cache Memory bad.

Now I admit that beep codes might be a little old hat for some of you whippersnappers but they're really useful in this sort of situation. Now if the good Hvale2k5 has access to a speaker for the 4-pin chassis speaker header then I'd suggest plugging it in and letting the mobo tell him whats wrong.

I know my methods are a bit draconian, so I'll leave it to yall to figure out.
    Mussels says thanks.
  20. Hvale2k5 New Member

Thanks Received:
    yeah, no speaker from my case so can't really use beep codes. Anyway i dont have any extra ddr3 to test so im going have to wait to borrow my friend ram.... is G.skill that bad? i was running cas 7 @1333mhz
  21. Arel3 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I feel the same. LOL
    You forgot to add the long beeps for serious memory or CPU error. You're right that those beeps are very useful when troubleshooting. If you actually know what each beep code means.

I don't feel any of the other suggestions, although genuine and respected (at least by me!) aren't any good. Especially the one's suggesting it's ram. If the computer seems to be running it is running. The only thing that would cause the "No Signal" message to display on the monitor is where the display signal comes from - the video card.

Do you happen to have a spare monitor or a TV with a VGA/DMI/HDMI input you could plug it in to to see if the video card is still functional?

Or do you have a spare video card you could install to try?

I'd test the video card. Maybe you have, and maybe I missed where you said you did, but I don't see a post from you saying you've tested the graphics card. Which is where it would make sense you start troubleshooting IMO.
  22. silkstone

silkstone

Thanks Received:
    Have you tried it with a single stick yet? It'd be unlikely that both sticks died at the same time, but not impossible.
  23. Goodman

Goodman

Thanks Received:
    Like others have said just use one ram at the time & in different slots if not working

Also Clear CMos (jumper) does not always work , better take out the battery for a good 20-30 minutes & try again
  24. SuPeR FlYYY

SuPeR FlYYY New Member

Thanks Received:
    i was thinkin about this, try it with 1 stick and onboard vid, adn then try other stick with onboard vid
  25. Arel3 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I scrolled past you saying that. So something did burn up, but what? You can try taking a flashlight and magnifying glass (if needed) and inspecting the board and cards plugged in to the board to see if you can find any discoloration anywhere. If there's discoloration on a chip or a board it self somewhere...that's what burned up. Replace whatever that chip is attached to.

Also...I've experienced addon cards stopping video from displaying. As soon as I took that the right card out the pc fired up and ran normally. If you can't find anything that looks like it's burnt/discolored it might pay off finding the culprit of the problem by removing any addon cards from the board one by one and trying to start it up.