• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

MOONDROP x Crinacle DUSK In-Ear Monitors

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
MOONDROP and IEM influencer Crinacle come together to release the highly anticipated DUSK, a new set of IEMs based off the Blessing 3. It re-works the driver configuration, comes with a new faceplate, and then tries to change the game entirely by including a DSP cable with app support to allow users to have six different tonalities to appeal to a wide range of preferances.

Show full review

Cheeseball

Not a Potato
Supporter
System Name Titan
Processor AMD Ryzen™ 7 7950X3D
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X670E-I Gaming WiFi
Cooling ID-COOLING SE-207-XT Slim Snow
Memory TEAMGROUP T-Force Delta RGB 2x16GB DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) ASRock Radeon RX 7900 XTX 24 GB GDDR6 (MBA)
Storage 2TB Samsung 990 Pro NVMe
Display(s) AOpen Fire Legend 24" (25XV2Q), Dough Spectrum One 27" (Glossy), LG C4 42" (OLED42C4PUA)
Case ASUS Prime AP201 33L White
Audio Device(s) Kanto Audio YU2 and SUB8 Desktop Speakers and Subwoofer, Cloud Alpha Wireless
Power Supply Corsair SF1000L
Mouse Logitech Pro Superlight (White), G303 Shroud Edition
Keyboard Wooting 60HE / NuPhy Air75 v2
VR HMD Occulus Quest 2 128GB
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit 23H2 Build 22631.3447
Yeah, the default EQ profile on the USB-C DAC really sounds the best for any kind of music. The main problem I have with this package is that FreeDSP cable. :shadedshu:

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Philips Evnia 49M2C8900
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
I run S8s at home and I have a pair of Katos for work, but I was looking into these. The problem is Im just not sure its really worth it.

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
I run S8s at home and I have a pair of Katos for work, but I was looking into these. The problem is Im just not sure its really worth it.
These are a significant improvement over the Kato, and I am a big fan of the Kato too. I have not heard the S8 but I know many people like it. Maybe it's a case of you already having things to use?

I wouldn't buy moondrop or anything from shenzhenaudion no matter how good these IEM sound. The first still has a lot of QC issues on a lot of products and the second, being in china, refuse refunds.

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
I wouldn't buy moondrop or anything from shenzhenaudion no matter how good these IEM sound. The first still has a lot of QC issues on a lot of products and the second, being in china, refuse refunds.
I've already addressed any QC concerns in the review and the second part is incorrect actually. In fact, just last week a person who had no real issues with the DUSK and still wanted to return it was able to get a no-questions-asked full refund.

System Name The Workhorse
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus B550 Pro
Cooling CPU - Noctua NH-D15S Case - 3 Noctua NF-A14 PWM at the bottom, 2 Fractal Design 180mm at the front
Memory GSkill Trident Z 3200CL14
Video Card(s) NVidia GTX 1070 MSI QuickSilver
Storage Adata SX8200Pro
Display(s) LG 32GK850G
Case Fractal Design Torrent
Audio Device(s) FiiO E-10K DAC/Amp, Samson Meteorite USB Microphone
Power Supply Corsair RMx850 (2018)
Mouse Razer Viper (Original)
Keyboard Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid TKL keyboard (Cherry MX Black)
Software Windows 11 Pro (23H2)
Honestly, the best part is that the EQ settings are provided openly and can be applied to the analog cable no problem. If the DSP enchantments are the way forward, then this needs to be standard practice since not everyone would use IEMs with a portable device and on desktop using EQ is just less hassle then dealing with USB-C ports and a sub-par DAC. Would be interesting to see if any full size headphones also decide to go the DSP route.

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Honestly, the best part is that the EQ settings are provided openly and can be applied to the analog cable no problem. If the DSP enchantments are the way forward, then this needs to be standard practice since not everyone would use IEMs with a portable device and on desktop using EQ is just less hassle then dealing with USB-C ports and a sub-par DAC. Would be interesting to see if any full size headphones also decide to go the DSP route.
Lots of Bluetooth headphones use DSP for EQ already, but I assume you're referring to wired headphones.

System Name The Workhorse
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus B550 Pro
Cooling CPU - Noctua NH-D15S Case - 3 Noctua NF-A14 PWM at the bottom, 2 Fractal Design 180mm at the front
Memory GSkill Trident Z 3200CL14
Video Card(s) NVidia GTX 1070 MSI QuickSilver
Storage Adata SX8200Pro
Display(s) LG 32GK850G
Case Fractal Design Torrent
Audio Device(s) FiiO E-10K DAC/Amp, Samson Meteorite USB Microphone
Power Supply Corsair RMx850 (2018)
Mouse Razer Viper (Original)
Keyboard Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid TKL keyboard (Cherry MX Black)
Software Windows 11 Pro (23H2)
Lots of Bluetooth headphones use DSP for EQ already, but I assume you're referring to wired headphones.
Yeah, should have specified. Wired, of course. Hell, even from Moondrop itself, just retuning the Joker via EQ makes it actually a fairly decent can, especially for the price. There’s potential here.

KFCeater

Sure, if you prefer the Harman in-ear tuning. I do not, and I suspect there will be many who share this sentiment.
Great review! But I guess you are with the semi possitive camp of the Dusk reviewers. Dusk deserves the Editors Choice award imo, since they are the best IEM in the sub $600 range, even with analog. Hype 4 might have stronger bass, but the Dusk's bass is of a higher quality. The issues that exist are not due to the IEM itself , but due to its peripherals (cable/app). However these still matter to the overall experience of the product, so I get you. Still best IEM though

System Name Буря IV
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte B550I Aorus Pro AX
Cooling be quiet! Pure Loop 2 280 AiO
Memory Corsair 2x8GB DDR4 3200 MT/s CL16
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX6800 Nitro+
Storage Crucial NVMe SSDs
Display(s) Huawei Mateview GT 34"
Case McPrue Apollo S 3.0 (Rev.2) SFF
Audio Device(s) Ikko ITB03 → Softears RSV / Moondrop Aria / Final E500 | DAC-X6 Mk. II → DT770 Pro (don't like)
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Great review! But I guess you are with the semi possitive camp of the Dusk reviewers. Dusk deserves the Editors Choice award imo, since they are the best IEM in the sub $600 range, even with analog. Hype 4 might have stronger bass, but the Dusk's bass is of a higher quality. The issues that exist are not due to the IEM itself , but due to its peripherals (cable/app). However these still matter to the overall experience of the product, so I get you. Still best IEM though
There are a bunch of other sub-600 IEMs that are comparable if not better depending on what you prefer, so I wouldn't go as far as saying the DUSK is the best you can get.
Stock tuning is not the worst but it's not perfect either, and the DSP cable fixes some of its issues but also introduces others, as was noted by VSG. Those are issues you wouldn't get if you just used any other PEQ app around with an IEM that handles EQ well and potentially even cheaper.

KFCeater

There are a bunch of other sub-600 IEMs that are comparable if not better depending on what you prefer, so I wouldn't go as far as saying the DUSK is the best you can get.
Stock tuning is not the worst but it's not perfect either, and the DSP cable fixes some of its issues but also introduces others, as was noted by VSG. Those are issues you wouldn't get if you just used any other PEQ app around with an IEM that handles EQ well and potentially even cheaper.
Well, according to multiple other reviewers (not all though) Dusk is the best in its price bracket and the one above it. (Super Reviews, Gizaudio, Bad guy audio reviews)

System Name main/SFFHTPCARGH!(tm)/Xiaomi Mi TV Stick/Samsung Galaxy S23/Ally
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D/i7-3770/S905X/Snapdragon 8 Gen 2/Ryzen Z1 Extreme
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk/HP SFF Q77 Express/uh?/uh?/Asus
Cooling Enermax ETS-T50 Axe aRGB /basic HP HSF /errr.../oh! liqui..wait, no:sizable vapor chamber/a nice one
Memory 64gb Corsair Vengeance Pro 3600mhz DDR4/8gb DDR3 1600/2gb LPDDR3/8gb LPDDR5x 4200/16gb LPDDR5
Video Card(s) Hellhound Spectral White RX 7900 XTX 24gb/GT 730/Mali 450MP5/Adreno 740/RDNA3 768 core
Storage 250gb870EVO/500gb860EVO/2tbSandisk/NVMe2tb+1tb/4tbextreme V2/1TB Arion/500gb/8gb/256gb/2tb SN770M
Display(s) X58222 32" 2880x1620/32"FHDTV/273E3LHSB 27" 1920x1080/6.67"/AMOLED 2X panel FHD+120hz/FHD 120hz
Case Cougar Panzer Max/Elite 8300 SFF/None/back/back-front Gorilla Glass Victus 2+ UAG Monarch Carbon
Audio Device(s) Logi Z333/SB Audigy RX/HDMI/HDMI/Dolby Atmos/KZ x HBB PR2/Edifier STAX Spirit S3 & SamsungxAKG beans
Power Supply Chieftec Proton BDF-1000C /HP 240w/12v 1.5A/4Smart Voltplug PD 30W/Asus USB-C 65W
Mouse Speedlink Sovos Vertical-Asus ROG Spatha-Logi Ergo M575/Xiaomi XMRM-006/touch/touch
Keyboard Endorfy Thock 75% <3/none/touch/virtual
VR HMD Medion Erazer
Software Win10 64/Win8.1 64/Android TV 8.1/Android 13/Win11 64
Benchmark Scores bench...mark? i do leave mark on bench sometime, to remember which one is the most comfortable. :o
oh, my ...is that a "Crinacle-Chan"? :laugh:
mmhhh, the reviews paint them in a good light, they improved the Blessing 3, they still uphold the cute box art by making that ... well, yeah @VSG you said it ... "inspired take" on the collab :laugh:
eh, for 360ish and given the review, it doesn't seems too expensive (and i am a sucker for the gender bend.... errr i mean carbon "damascus like" faceplate )

given my recent (but late) experience with my first Moondrop product, i would almost consider that one for my next IEMs acquisition :laugh:

(the box art made me laugh so hard, nonetheless :laugh: )

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: VSG
I've already addressed any QC concerns in the review and the second part is incorrect actually. In fact, just last week a person who had no real issues with the DUSK and still wanted to return it was able to get a no-questions-asked full refund.
Not for me unfortunately, maybe there's a different business practice while dealing with Eastern Europeans.
Now, I have the Quarks, the Chu, the Aria and now the Dawn Pro. Each had a QC issue, mostly cosmetic (though the Quarks cable ripped itself out of the left earbud). So it was the Dawn Pro that really set a now low standard. It has a hardware issue where the USB C female jack keeps disconnecting and I asked for a refund on shenzhenaudio and got ignored. This was at the start of January. So I reached to moondrop as well and still no answer. This was at the start of February, only when I tried posting a negative review on shenzhenaudio did I receive a reply that they will not publish it (my guess for being a negative review on a chinese website...) though I did try to reach them again a few times. Now it end of April and you guessed it, still no reply after a dozen emails so I recommend all to ignore these 2 companies like the plague.

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Not for me unfortunately, maybe there's a different business practice while dealing with Eastern Europeans.
Now, I have the Quarks, the Chu, the Aria and now the Dawn Pro. Each had a QC issue, mostly cosmetic (though the Quarks cable ripped itself out of the left earbud). So it was the Dawn Pro that really set a now low standard. It has a hardware issue where the USB C female jack keeps disconnecting and I asked for a refund on shenzhenaudio and got ignored. This was at the start of January. So I reached to moondrop as well and still no answer. This was at the start of February, only when I tried posting a negative review on shenzhenaudio did I receive a reply that they will not publish it (my guess for being a negative review on a chinese website...) though I did try to reach them again a few times. Now it end of April and you guessed it, still no reply after a dozen emails so I recommend all to ignore these 2 companies like the plague.
I can bring up your issues with Shenzhenaudio, but my recommendation with them is to join their Discord server and DM the rep, Cloris.

I can bring up your issues with Shenzhenaudio, but my recommendation with them is to join their Discord server and DM the rep, Cloris.
Thank you, but there is no need. I'll take it as a reminder not to buy anything outside of the EU.

Reactions: VSG

I'm with you on the latter but not on the former.

I've owned, and still own, a lot of Moondrop products. Their support is odd but it works. In my worst case I busted a set of Blessing2s (still the best bang for the buck out there) by having a 2pin connector snap off in them. The US based vendor (Headphones.com which is highly respectable) wouldn't touch it at all. I was SOL which is odd for them but oh well. They sent me to an audiophile forum which told me to slap superglue onto the end of a tootpick and extract it that way.... superglue + wood + iem is obviously bullshit I said the hell with it and went for it. Que fail and now the thing is glued into the damn IEM.

While Moondrop themselves will not sell or replace a single IEM (this is odd as Western brands like say Shure will do this in a second and pay for the shipping, and I've had Shure and Sennheiser do this for products I bought in one case two decades ago and in the other case a decade ago) they put me in contact with their "support" contract. She's in China and went by the name Emily for us but I speak more than a few languages to know that's not her name. I shipped my superglued into the pin socket Blessing 2 to her. Shipping two and from China during COVID aside the process was flawless. I paid the shipping there and the repairs were free and it was shipped back to me fixed for free.

You're simply not going to get refunds or good quality control off ChiFi products unless you're biting above the kilobuck range, and even then you roll the dice. But Moondrop did put me in contact with Emily who did fix my issue, the cost was stupidly cheap, they stood by their product, Emily was great through the whole process, and outside of shipping time which is not their fault I can't find any flaws in my repair.

I won't buy these for one major reasons. Fuck these colaborations. These are all vastly more limited runs and then they are done. So should it break you are shit out of luck.

For Shenzhen when dealing with a lot of vendors it's also who you deal with there. People have problems in the US with apple, amazon, microsoft, dell, newegg, you name it there are horror stories and shit shows all around. I've never had one. It's also largely based on how much you spend though.

I'm with you on the latter but not on the former.

I've owned, and still own, a lot of Moondrop products. Their support is odd but it works. In my worst case I busted a set of Blessing2s (still the best bang for the buck out there) by having a 2pin connector snap off in them. The US based vendor (Headphones.com which is highly respectable) wouldn't touch it at all. I was SOL which is odd for them but oh well. They sent me to an audiophile forum which told me to slap superglue onto the end of a tootpick and extract it that way.... superglue + wood + iem is obviously bullshit I said the hell with it and went for it. Que fail and now the thing is glued into the damn IEM.

While Moondrop themselves will not sell or replace a single IEM (this is odd as Western brands like say Shure will do this in a second and pay for the shipping, and I've had Shure and Sennheiser do this for products I bought in one case two decades ago and in the other case a decade ago) they put me in contact with their "support" contract. She's in China and went by the name Emily for us but I speak more than a few languages to know that's not her name. I shipped my superglued into the pin socket Blessing 2 to her. Shipping two and from China during COVID aside the process was flawless. I paid the shipping there and the repairs were free and it was shipped back to me fixed for free.

You're simply not going to get refunds or good quality control off ChiFi products unless you're biting above the kilobuck range, and even then you roll the dice. But Moondrop did put me in contact with Emily who did fix my issue, the cost was stupidly cheap, they stood by their product, Emily was great through the whole process, and outside of shipping time which is not their fault I can't find any flaws in my repair.

I won't buy these for one major reasons. Fuck these colaborations. These are all vastly more limited runs and then they are done. So should it break you are shit out of luck.

For Shenzhen when dealing with a lot of vendors it's also who you deal with there. People have problems in the US with apple, amazon, microsoft, dell, newegg, you name it there are horror stories and shit shows all around. I've never had one. It's also largely based on how much you spend though.
The one major attraction of moondrop was the offer they have / had for the price. If that price difference is negligible and I can get similar if not better quality from other competitors, I don't feel they're worth it now as they've been in the past (similar to what OnePlus was in the mobile market).
The only reason I've bought the Dawn Pro is to have a cheap, balanced 4.4mm alternative to the Tempotec Sonata Pro (which I've been using for years now with no issues) and to check if they're better for planar IEMs (they're not or my hearing is not sensitive enough to notice a difference). Otherwise, I would not have bought it as previous experience with moondrop hinted at the bad or non existent QC. But lesson learned now and I will buy from other reputable store or brands from now on.

The one major attraction of moondrop was the offer they have / had for the price. If that price difference is negligible and I can get similar if not better quality from other competitors, I don't feel they're worth it now as they've been in the past (similar to what OnePlus was in the mobile market).
The only reason I've bought the Dawn Pro is to have a cheap, balanced 4.4mm alternative to the Tempotec Sonata Pro (which I've been using for years now with no issues) and to check if they're better for planar IEMs (they're not or my hearing is not sensitive enough to notice a difference). Otherwise, I would not have bought it as previous experience with moondrop hinted at the bad or non existent QC. But lesson learned now and I will buy from other reputable store or brands from now on.

Their competitors on performance per price are all ChiFi and suffer the same quality control issues as Moondrop does. That's the entire issue with ChiFi. When compared to Western or Japanese brands they cost a fraction, often less than half, the price for the same performance. But the quality control is hit or miss and the support is iffy. All ChiFi suffers from this. If you want quality control and support you're going to need a product that costs double the price and to get out of ChiFi. If a ChFi product does not suffer all these issues it all of a sudden magically costs as much as the Western or Japanese products and the savings go out the window. You pay for what you get.

You're problem is you want cheap, performs, and quality. There is NO such product and never will be. Especially when you get into making asks such as balanced which is going to make that situation worse.

What you want is the ifi go Bar which depending on model and if you can find a sale ranges from 300-450 USD. Questyle and Earmen also make similar devices but the price range is similar. Nobody ever complains about these companies they are all top notch. People just complain about the price, but again you get what you pay for.