• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Most Popular Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060, Steam Hardware Survey

big fan of nazi's huh?
Don't have a better argument? From the whole message you take on this bait. Interesting. I am not a big fan of Nazis, since they planned to move/kill my nation. But their propagandist man had a few interesting statements.

Processor faster at instructions than yours
Motherboard more nurturing than yours
Cooling frostier than yours
Memory superior scheduling & haphazardly entry than yours
Video Card(s) better rasterization than yours
Storage more ample than yours
Display(s) increased pixels than yours
Case fancier than yours
Audio Device(s) further audible than yours
Power Supply additional amps x volts than yours
Mouse without as much gnawing as yours
Keyboard less clicky than yours
VR HMD not as odd looking as yours
Software extra mushier than yours
Benchmark Scores up yours
Don't have a better argument? I am not a big fan of Nazis, since they planned to move/kill my nation. But their propagandist man had a few interesting statements.
I made my statement previously, now I'm just going by the facts.

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
Why is this even a newsworthy? Until Valve releases precise methodology, its "statistics" cannot be taken seriously.

What we do not know:
method of choosing sample (various leaks through years suggests that choosing process is biased)
size of the sample
mean and median
sample standard deviation
coefficient of deviation
reliability coefficient

What is a "statistics" for, if you don't have access to raw data? Only for propaganda.

"The only statistics you can trust are those you falsified yourself" - Joseph Goebbels

Those chosen might be biased by Steam but it is irrelevant because anyone can choose to take the survey whether Steam chooses them or not.

With Steam running, press the Windows key and "R"
Then copy and enter this:
steam://takesurvey/1/
Ignore the name of the game on the first line; it doesn't matter, it works the same.

The reason you sometimes see large fluctuations in the stats is because usually gamers only take the survey when they have upgraded hardware. There's no point in taking the Survey if your hardware hasn't changed.

The Survey scans your PC and collects your stats automatically so nothing can be falsified.

Those chosen might be biased by Steam but it is irrelevant because anyone can choose to take the survey whether Steam chooses them or not.

Ignore the name of the game on the first line; it doesn't matter, it works the same.

The reason you sometimes see large fluctuations in the stats is because usually gamers only take the survey when they have upgraded hardware. There's no point in taking the Survey if your hardware hasn't changed.

The Survey scans your PC and collects your stats automatically so nothing can be falsified.
Tried that. However it freezes on sending data. A mini window with "sending data" message pops-up. And nothing happens... after a while (10 minutes) you must click storno (zrušit in Czech), to be able to use steam. So there's a problem even with a manual process, since my steam version is current and yes, I've tried to restart Steam a repeated the process.

So there are two ways to falsify Steam HW survey - it does not pop-up automatically anytime the PC configuration changes, is not mandatory and even if you call it manually, it does not mean the data get sent. And as stated above, data processing is suspected too.

System Name AlderLake / Laptop
Processor Intel i7 12700K P-Cores @ 5Ghz / Intel i3 7100U
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master / HP 83A3 (U3E1)
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A 2 fans + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme + 5 case fans / Fan
Memory 32GB DDR5 Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 6000MT/s CL36 / 8GB DDR4 HyperX CL13
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio / Intel HD620
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Evo 500GB + 850 Pro 512GB + 860 Evo 1TB x2 / Samsung 256GB M.2 SSD
Display(s) 23.8" Dell S2417DG 165Hz G-Sync 1440p / 14" 1080p IPS Glossy
Case Be quiet! Silent Base 600 - Window / HP Pavilion
Audio Device(s) Panasonic SA-PMX94 / Realtek onboard + B&O speaker system / Harman Kardon Go + Play / Logitech G533
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750W / Powerbrick
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 2 Laser wireless / Logitech M330 wireless
Keyboard RAPOO E9270P Black 5GHz wireless / HP backlit
Software Windows 11 / Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 (Single Core) 1936 @ stock Cinebench R23 (Multi Core) 23006 @ stock
Why get fed up about this, who cares anyway.....
If you are happy with your current system, good.
Or just upgrade if you got that itching...

:nutkick:

Processor i7 7700k
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
Tried that. However it freezes on sending data. A mini window with "sending data" message pops-up. And nothing happens... after a while (10 minutes) you must click storno (zrušit in Czech), to be able to use steam. So there's a problem even with a manual process, since my steam version is current and yes, I've tried to restart Steam a repeated the process.

So there are two ways to falsify Steam HW survey - it does not pop-up automatically anytime the PC configuration changes, is not mandatory and even if you call it manually, it does not mean the data get sent. And as stated above, data processing is suspected too.

It works for me and it works quickly. There is no need to notify you that your stats have been collected. Why would they bother?

Why would Steam monitor your hardware and pop up the Survey automatically if you upgraded hardware? Steam doesn't monitor anything in your PC without your permission. Why would they?

Why in the world would Valve want to falsify the data anyway? What would they have to gain?

Before you get around to accusing gamers of taking the survey 1,000 times to skew results I will go ahead and head that one off right now. You have to be signed into your account to take the Survey for that reason. To prevent abuse of the Survey. You can take the Survey a thousand times but if your hardware hasn't changed then only 1 Survey will be recorded.

Case fancier than yours

not a single thing you said there was true, you simply lied in order to make your point. STEAM does not have to be mandatory for it to have statistical data, basic stats 101 if you ever took the class.

Why get fed up about this, who cares anyway.....
If you are happy with your current system, good.
Or just upgrade if you got that itching...
but then how can I justify my pc parts and make myself feel superior to other people? how?? I need to manipulate this data profile of various PCs and laptops to somehow confirm every single part in my PC as both elite and the right part chosen. I mean sure your way has common sense to it but stating basic math as junk science seems to be the right call to action in this scenario.

not a single thing you said there was true, you simply lied in order to make your point. STEAM does not have to be mandatory for it to have statistical data, basic stats 101 if you ever took the class.

Accusations without a proof? Guess who lies here. I am just telling the truth. Here is a screeshot - this is all that happens, till I click on "Zrušit/Storno".
ScreenHunter_02 2023-04-08 17.47.jpg

And no, it does not have to be mandatory to collect data, but in that case, you have publicize a method of selecting samples. Valve does not.

Case fancier than yours
but in that case, you have publicize a method of selecting samples. Valve does not.
they don't need to, it's their survey. you have no rights to their method nor have they ever stated their method was the end all be all or should be used for any statement on the PC gaming industry. They clearly state the survey is for their internal use.

they don't need to, it's their survey. you have no rights to their method nor have they ever stated their method was the end all be all or should be used for any statement on the PC gaming industry. They clearly state the survey is for their internal use.
If you ever tried to publicize any scientific article, you know, that you have to state you the way you statistically processed your data, including a method of choosing samples. The purpose is that your experiments can be exactly repeated under same conditions. That is why we have no perpetum mobile or cold fusion today.
If Valve wants their statistic (Steam HW Survey) to be taken seriously, they have to publicize method of choosing sample and other statistical details. Otherwise, their statistics are NOTHING BUT propaganda.

Last edited:

Processor i7 7700k
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
If you ever tried to publicize any scientific article, you know, that you have to state you the way you statistically processed your data, including a method of choosing samples. The purpose is that your experiments can be exactly repeated under same conditions. That is why we have no perpetum mobile or cold fusion today.
If Valve wants their statistic (Steam HW Survey) to be taken seriously, they have to publicize method of choosing sample and other statistical details. Otherwise, their statistics are NOTHING BUT propaganda.

Propaganda?

I'm trying to understand where you're coming from but I can't. The reason the 3060 went to the top of the chart is because a lot of gamers upgraded probably buying from the glut of used cards for sale since mining took a major downturn.

Tell me how Valve could possibly benefit from reporting the uptick in 3060s on the Survey if it weren't true. They don't sell 3060s. They have absolutely no reason to falsify anything.

Propaganda?

I'm trying to understand where you're coming from but I can't. The reason the 3060 went to the top of the chart is because a lot of gamers upgraded probably buying from the glut of used cards for sale since mining took a major downturn.

Tell me how Valve could possibly benefit from reporting the uptick in 3060s on the Survey if it weren't true. They don't sell 3060s. They have absolutely no reason to falsify anything.
I am coming from a point of scientific method, any news who gets what is total rubbish if you don't know the way data are collected and processed.
Also we don't know a corporate backgrounds. I am no conspiracy theorist. There might and might not be any deals running between HW manufactures, SW publisher and selling platforms. I have no data on that, so I won't speculate.
But that Valve does not want to disclose raw data is telling. If there is nothing going on, what is to be afraid of? Those are HW infos, not sensitive information on sold copies, that SteamSpy provided initially.

Last edited:

Processor i7 7700k
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
I am coming from a point of scientific method, any news who gets what is total rubbish if you don't know the way data are collected and processed.
Also we don't know a corporate backgrounds. I am no conspiracy theorist. There might and might not be any deals running between HW manufactures, SW publisher and selling platforms. I have no data on that, so I won't speculate.
But that Valve does not want to disclose raw data is telling. If there is nothing going on, what is to be afraid of? Those are HW infos, not information on sold copies, that SteamSpy provided initially.

If Steam were selling the Survey then that could be reason for suspicion but they are not. There is no proof of collusion with Nvidia. Until someone can offer a shred of evidence that they are then why even suspect collusion?

The bottom line is that Steam has been around for a long time and they know what they are doing.

Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock X670E Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 Chromax
Memory 32GB DDR5 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 Trio
Storage Too much
Display(s) Acer Predator XB3 27" 240 Hz
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Audio Device(s) Topping DX5, DCA Aeon II
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 850w
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10

That anyone can force the survey kind of makes the results irrelevant in the first place. It's not a survey if the respondents can elect to choose themselves as a participant. It makes any effort selecting a random sample (assuming steam even goes through great length for that) irrelevant. Anyone that wants to manipulate those results could on request.

1680973198037.png

Took me a whole 5 seconds to get windows to think I have a processor that doesn't exist. There's also VMs, dual boot systems (is this system counted twice), and of course net cafes.

Processor i7 7700k
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
Took me a whole 5 seconds to get windows to think I have a processor that doesn't exist. There's also VMs, dual boot systems (is this system counted twice), and of course net cafes.

Do you really believe that the average gamer can do what you did? If so then show me the fake processor results on the Survey.

The point is that you can't be counted twice. You have to sign into your account no matter where you do it from. The results are tied to your account. I suppose you could make multiple accounts on Steam and use some means to skew results but who the hell would bother with that? Valve has thought this through and the Survey is a free service that they don't make a penny from. Why would anyone expect Valve to strive for a professional scientific survey? I don't but it does give at least some indication what gamers are using to game with.

System Name Gamey #1 / #2
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Core i7-9700F
Motherboard Asrock B450M P4 / Asrock B360M P4
Cooling IDCool SE-226-XT / CM Hyper 212
Memory 32GB 3200 CL16 / 32GB 2666 CL14
Video Card(s) PC 6800 XT / Soyo RTX 2060 Super
Storage 4TB Team MP34 / 512G Tosh RD400+2TB WD3Dblu
Display(s) LG 32GK650F 1440p 144Hz VA
Case Corsair 4000Air / CM N200
Audio Device(s) Dragonfly Black
Power Supply EVGA 650 G3 / Corsair CX550M
Mouse JSCO JNL-101k Noiseless
Keyboard Steelseries Apex 3 TKL
Software Win 10, Throttlestop
The reason the 3060 went to the top of the chart is because a lot of gamers upgraded probably buying from the glut of used cards for sale since mining took a major downturn.

And those same gamers all decided to start speaking Chinese instead of previous majority English and every other language?

That assumtion fails a simple logic test when you look at all the other differences between this month's Steam Survey and the noisy, near-useless data from all previous months. Steam just upped their game this month with the most useless survey responses in recent memory.

Case fancier than yours
once again you fail to understand the basics of it and make stuff up to push your inaccurate point

the STEAM survey is not a publized scientific article so everything after that in your statement is false since your statement begins with a false assumption

System Name Ghetto Rigs z490|x99|Acer 17 Nitro 7840hs/ 5600c40-2x16/ 4060/ 1tb acer stock m.2/ 4tb sn850x
Processor 10900k w/Optimus Foundation | 5930k w/Black Noctua D15
Motherboard z490 Maximus XII Apex | x99 Sabertooth
Cooling oCool D5 res-combo/280 GTX/ Optimus Foundation/ gpu water block | Blk D15
Memory Trident-Z Royal 4000c16 2x16gb | Trident-Z 3200c14 4x8gb
Video Card(s) Titan Xp-water | evga 980ti gaming-w/ air
Storage 970evo+500gb & sn850x 4tb | 860 pro 256gb | Acer m.2 1tb/ sn850x 4tb| Many2.5" sata's ssd 3.5hdd's
Display(s) 1-AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz/ 2nd 1-ASUS VG248QE 24"/ 3rd LG 43" series
Case D450 | Cherry Entertainment center on Test bench
Audio Device(s) Built in Realtek x2 with 2-Insignia 2.0 sound bars & 1-LG sound bar
Power Supply EVGA 1000P2 with APC AX1500 | 850P2 with CyberPower-GX1325U
Mouse Redragon 901 Perdition x3
Keyboard G710+x3
Software Win-7 pro x3 and win-10 & 11pro x3
Benchmark Scores Are in the benchmark section
Hi,
What's all the fuss about it shows the big narrow picture :sleep:

Case fancier than yours
Last edited by a moderator:
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Storage Too much
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10
Do you really believe that the average gamer can do what you did? If so then show me the fake processor results on the Survey.

The point is that you can't be counted twice. You have to sign into your account no matter where you do it from. The results are tied to your account. I suppose you could make multiple accounts on Steam and use some means to skew results but who the hell would bother with that? Valve has thought this through and the Survey is a free service that they don't make a penny from. Why would anyone expect Valve to strive for a professional scientific survey? I don't but it does give at least some indication what gamers are using to game with.

The problem is that there is a history of steam more than doubling counting, we've all see the articles on steam's net cafe issue. The same machine could be counted hundreds of times depending on the number of users that logged into steam on the system. Assuming that the survey results are tied to your account, this means that anytime you log into your account from different hardware, said hardware has a high chance of being counted whether or not it's your machine or not. I have personally been polled almost every upgrade I've gotten (HDDs don't seem to trigger it, at least from what I've experienced).

I don't think steam should have to uphold it's survey to scientific standards if it does not want to. The problem is that many news websites use it as if it is. IMO a disclaimer at the top of the survey in bold stating that said data may not be an accurate representation of the market and should not be used as a basis of any factual conclusion would suffice or something to that effect. I feel that is fair to all parties.

Processor i7 7700k
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
The problem is that there is a history of steam more than doubling counting, we've all see the articles on steam's net cafe issue. The same machine could be counted hundreds of times depending on the number of users that logged into steam on the system. Assuming that the survey results are tied to your account, this means that anytime you log into your account from different hardware, said hardware has a high chance of being counted whether or not it's your machine or not. I have personally been polled almost every upgrade I've gotten (HDDs don't seem to trigger it, at least from what I've experienced).

I don't think steam should have to uphold it's survey to scientific standards if it does not want to. The problem is that many news websites use it as if it is. IMO a disclaimer at the top of the survey in bold stating that said data may not be an accurate representation of the market and should not be used as a basis of any factual conclusion would suffice or something to that effect. I feel that is fair to all parties.

Steam doesn't spy on you. That's Microsoft that you are thinking of. Steam doesn't automatically poll your hardware every time you log onto your account. They ask for your permission occasionally to take the survey. I have been around for a long time and you are the only person that I have ever met that was being asked to participate in the Survey every time they changed their hardware. There is something extremely strange about your account if that is really happening to you.

Hi,
What's all the fuss about it shows the big narrow picture :sleep:

Same fus as always with the Steam survey it's all medium nvidia cards at the top trailed by lower end ones and the CPUs are mid range as well and shatters the entire master race myth or that AMD is really in the GPU game.

Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Storage Too much
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10
Steam doesn't spy on you. That's Microsoft that you are thinking of. Steam doesn't automatically poll your hardware every time you log onto your account. They ask for your permission occasionally to take the survey. I have been around for a long time and you are the only person that I have ever met that was being asked to participate in the Survey every time they changed their hardware. There is something extremely strange about your account if that is really happening to you.

?? I never said they did. No idea how you got that response from my prior comment.