1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Motherboard issues need answer asap!

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by Sunmo, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Sunmo New Member

Thanks Received:
    I currently have an Asus M3A32-MVP Deluxe but its been messing with me latetly, I got a new graphics card but it wont give me any picture, plugged into another computer it works great. So i got mad and figured i might need a new motherboard. I searched some trade sites and found a Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3 that i can buy for 40 euro inc shipping from the owner, wich would cost about 5-10 euro. Should i go for it or try to fic my problem with the current motherboard? Money is an issue so i cant buy any brand new ^^

Processor is AMD Phenom X4 9850(?) BE, 2.5ghz 4 core.

The new graphic card is a Sapphire Radeon HD6870.

I used two 4850s before and worked greate, Ive tried plugging in both of them again, and only one of them again and that works, but when i use the 6870 i get no picture.

Though ive tested it on two other computers, one intel and one AMD and they both worked great.

Edit: Forgot to add, using Windows 7 ultimate. And the computer is an Alienware bought 2008 so it got some custom bios alienware I think.

2. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    You have tried all available slots on the board? Your 4850's work ok on the Asus? Just confirming. No don't get the 770 board just yet.

3. Sunmo New Member

Thanks Received:
    the old cards work perfectly, well as good as they can when they have been abused and overclocked to hell in the past 4 years hehe

4. Neuromancer

Neuromancer

Thanks Received:
    You have both PCIE power plugs inserted in the card?

Barring power issues the only answer I can see is an incompatability with the newer PCIE2.0 card (which should not be a problem honestly).

5. twicksisted

twicksisted

Thanks Received:
    what power supply are you running in that machine...it could well be that the graphics card isnt being supplied enough juice. Power supplys lose power as they age so it could very well have run the crossfire a while ago and is not up to the task anymore

6. Sunmo New Member

Thanks Received:
    Alienwares 750W, both power slots are connected, and CF still works perfectly on the old cards.

7. overclocking101

overclocking101

Thanks Received:
    have you checked the asus website and put the NEWEST bios on your asus board?? i remember some asus boards having problems with some cards back in the day. its worth a shot

8. Sunmo New Member

Thanks Received:
    I looked around but found nothing, but being an alienware could there be issues? note the alienware was bought before DELL.

9. JrRacinFan

Thanks Received:
    I have seen issues arise in the past with bios revisions. Check Alienware's website to see if you have a bios update available.

10. Sunmo New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ive searched but all i find is drivers for the laptops.

11. JrRacinFan

Thanks Received:
    Ok. Can you grab a BIOS string or post a CPU motherboard tab screenshot?

12. Sunmo New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sorry i dont understand what you mean

13. JrRacinFan

Thanks Received:
    WWW.cpuid.com
    Get CPUZ and post a screenshot of the motherboard tab.

14. Sunmo New Member

Thanks Received:
    ah, I cant power up the computer just now, I'm at bparding school and got an extra monitor but the power cable for that is used in my other computer at the moment, where my friends are playing fear atm hehe

15. JrRacinFan

Thanks Received:
    Ok if you can confirm its definitely not some sort of rehashed m3a32 MVP, try the latest BIOS available from Asus site.

16. TC-man

TC-man

Thanks Received:
    Hi,

it seems that the M3A32-MVP Deluxe has issues with newer generation ATI-AMD videocards and it seems that you are having a similar(?) problem as this guy who has posted his problem with a HD5970 at Asus' forum. Someone else in that forum managed to boot up the HD5970 after upping the "GPP slot power limit" to 60W (default was 25W according to the manual). I don't know what value is safe to try; perhaps other people here at TechPowerUp can provide you more info about this "GPP slot power limit". On the other hand I thought the PCI-E slot can provide up to 75W to the videocard, then why limit it to 25W?

JrRacinFan says thanks.
  17. redeye

redeye

Thanks Received:
    i had the m3a32-mvp replaced it with a sabertooth 990fx (cause i wanted a bulldozer... but well that dream died lol) any ways, update to the latest BIOS... i know that a 4870,4890, 6850,6950, 560ti all work in the motherboard (no all at once buh dum bah close but not quite...lol) (m3a32-mvp)

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
    JrRacinFan says thanks.