1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Motherboard PROBLEM

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by inyongthegr8, Apr 10, 2012.

1. inyongthegr8

inyongthegr8 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hello everyone, I have a question... Lately, my motherboard's having a headache and I don't even know why it happened. It only happened when I was listening to a music last night and then my screen becomes garbled unexpectedly. That's the first scenario.

In the second scenario, while I was editing my code in my program, my screen became garbled and my computer gets locked up. After I restarted my PC, I noticed that my keyboard stops working after booting into BIOS, afterwards, the countdown in windows error recovery GOES FAST, I don't even know why.

In the third scenario, I tried to use BurnInTest to see if my computer parts are defective, then during the stress test, my computer froze up lately and while I was able to move my mouse cursor, my keyboard stops responding, and tried to remove whatever devices I have in my front usb port. Afterwards, when I clicked my mouse (while the Stress Test is running), my computer locks up and freezes.

Any idea what's wrong with my Desktop PC? Maybe I need to replace my motherboard, since I have a similar experience in my past motherboard like it will freeze up unexpectedly and the screen gets garbled...

By the way, check the files below.

http://www.mediafire.com/?c7z3i64zwbj4m

3 Images, 2 Videos
  2. moonlord

moonlord New Member

Thanks Received:
    Try to remove your graphic card and use your cpu's integrated graphics, if your system becomes stable maybe that is the problem or try a BIOS update.
    inyongthegr8 says thanks.
  3. inyongthegr8

inyongthegr8 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'll keep you updated after I removed my Graphics Card.
    Updated my BIOS already, still the same.
  4. jsfitz54

jsfitz54

Thanks Received:
    What specific steps have you taken to narrow the field of possible errors?

Have you run a memory diagnostic?

Have you unplugged all external devices?

Have you tried a second power supply?

Your question is too broad.
  5. VulkanBros

VulkanBros

Thanks Received:
    Could be a virus.....have you scanned your computer recently?
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. inyongthegr8

inyongthegr8 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, but except for the second power supply part, simply because I don't have an extra power supply to use for my current desktop.

Yeah, I'm sure Avast could have detected it already if that's the case.
  7. jsfitz54

jsfitz54

Thanks Received:
    Are you running stock clock speeds and not overclocked?

Tried reinstalling Nvida software, selecting clean/fresh install option. (You didn't switch cards from ATI without cleaning out old drivers???)

AGAIN, what have you done???

List what you have tried.
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  8. inyongthegr8

inyongthegr8 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I did not overclock, but I used the auto-tune from the AI Suite, (maybe I overclocked... a little bit?) but then my computer never locks up from the last 6 months that I bought my motherboard, btw this was the last settings that I used before my computer locked up:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.ne...27411883687_577148686_8242481_821304249_n.jpg

First, I updated the Motherboard BIOS from the ASUS site after experiencing the computer lockup by using the AI Suite and even made a backup ROM out of it (but I don't really know where it's located.), afterwards I updated my Nvidia software without cleaning out the old drivers and then, the same problem still occured. I don't know why it happened but that's what I did these past few days.

I might need to try to use the motherboard's integrated graphics, if that's the case.
  9. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    have you tried resetting your bios?
    or try simple thing like unplug your 24pins leave for a while then replug it and turn it on again
  10. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    could be your powersupply too, a faulty PSU can cause every single part of your machine to malfunction.

the clock going too fast sounds like a CMOS battery error too, so you may need to replace that as a secondary minor problem.
    inyongthegr8 and Law-II say thanks.
  11. inyongthegr8

inyongthegr8 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Nope not yet, haven't reset it yet. I'll do that once I get home. I'll try unplugging my 24 pins later.

That's possible, because my power supply is around how many years already, around more than 3 years. By the way, my power supply is unbranded.
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  12. inyongthegr8

inyongthegr8 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Btw, I unplugged my 24pins already + currently using Integrated Graphics from the motherboard. I uninstalled all Nvidia drivers. I'm currently testing if my computer will freeze by using the integrated graphics. XD

I'll keep you updated.
    Law-II says thanks.
  13. jsfitz54

jsfitz54

Thanks Received:
    If you did not return the bios to "default" before flashing to new bios, then that may be the problem.

Check button cell battery with meter to rule out bad battery.

With the nvidia card removed and bios set to default, reflash the bios.

If the onboard graphics work ok, then adjust bios to turn off onboard graphics and install nvidia card again and see how it goes.

The AI-Suite has been known to cause issues sometimes, so disable it in the startup menu.

Also, check your nvidia graphics board maker ( GT440, not specified ) for a firmware update.
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  14. inyongthegr8

inyongthegr8 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I already set the bios to default (Load Optimized Settings) before I flash my bios to the latest version.

How?

By using the EZ Flash from the motherboard? Not in AI Suite?

I'll check, if I'll be able to completely disable the onboard graphics.

Alright, I'll take note of that. Thank you. Maybe it's best if I will update the BIOS by using the EZ Flash instead of using the AI Suite, right?

Inno3d. Just to clarify, how will I update my graphics card's firmware?
  15. jsfitz54

jsfitz54

Thanks Received:
    I would think that your comment above indicates that you did not do this previously and that is why you have a corrupt image.

Check battery with digital multimeter. (good for checking all household batteries)

Buy one and have the store clerk show you how to check a battery.

Cheap Harbor Freight ones: http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=multimeter

Graphic card maker will supply utility if one is available, so go to their site and look, as you still do not indicate brand.
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
  16. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    What do you mean "editing my code in my program"
  17. r9

r9

Thanks Received:
    Corrupted image it can be only Graphic card if it is integrated gpu faulty ram memory could cause image corruption.
  18. LGV

LGV New Member

Thanks Received:
    I would change thet PSU. Thets could effect your whole system , not just the GPU.
    then see
  19. inyongthegr8

inyongthegr8 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sorry about that, by the way I already set my primary device to PEG instead of Automatic, thus disabling the onboard graphics.

I was doing my java programming project few days ago lol :roll: :nutkick:

Yeah but when I swapped my power supply to the other power supply (take note: same power supply used by my family pc http://i44.tinypic.com/295xyx2.jpg), I made a clean install on my graphics card, tested my graphics card and the garbled screen did not appear. I stress tested it and it went fine.

I agree, I think nothing's wrong with my graphics card, and yeah, since I observed that my cpu casing fan did not work unexpectedly then it will suddenly work, maybe it's the PSU's problem.
  20. LGV

LGV New Member

Thanks Received:
    well. GO GET A NEW PSU! before its take your all parts.
    Dont be cheapo on it tho.
  21. inyongthegr8

inyongthegr8 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm thinking about buying a Coolermaster extreme 500w sometime later or tomorrow. :cool:
  22. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    oh god no, thats as bad/worse than what you have.

PLEASE list what PSU's are available to you, and let us choose for you. there is no point getting something worse than what you have, based on misleading marketing specs.
  23. inyongthegr8

inyongthegr8 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Basically, my budget is just limited, and my friend recommended me a 500w Power Supply that is branded, I'll just have to choose whether I'll go for Coolermaster or Thermaltake. Since I'm not a hardcore gamer, I think 500w is fine with me and I don't overclock my CPU in any way. My video card is just an entry level, that is, GT 440, that means, it doesn't draw too much power. However... my CPU is i5 so yeah... I think 500w is okay.
  24. TC-man

TC-man

Thanks Received:
    Hi,

If you have no choice but to choose Cooler Master or Thermaltake branded PSUs because of limited budget, then get at least a Cooler Master GX450 which has a better OEM (Enhance) than the eXtreme Power 500W* (or eXtreme Power Plus 500W*) with a lower-end Acbel Polytech OEM (or Seventeam OEM in the "Plus" edition).

As for the Thermaltake PSU, well, avoid the Purepower series (especially the cheap ones), because most of them are overrated 400W PSUs. But there are also exceptions, see if you can find a Thermaltake Litepower 500W or Litepower 450W (LP-500AH2NF W0294; FSP OEM).
    inyongthegr8 and Mussels say thanks.
  25. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    the wattage means nothing, a 400W corsair would be superior to a thermaltake or coolermaster 600W.

as TCman said, what really matters is who made the internals of the unit, and what the amperage is on the 12V rails.