1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Movie files become zero-time-length

Discussion in 'Storage' started by Sebastian42, May 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sebastian42 New Member

Thanks Received:
    SOME (NOT ALL) movie files (various file extensions) that play well in VLC-in-Win7 when still on External Hard Drive, are reduced to zero length (but NOT zero bytes) when copied to 64Gb micro SD card, and so do NOT play in VLC (or GOM). Is there a remedy ?
  2. pigulici

pigulici

Thanks Received:
    The microSD , what format of partition it is(fat32,ntfs,..)?
    RCoon says thanks.
  3. RCoon

RCoon Forum Gypsy

Thanks Received:
    This.
    Ensure your SD card is formatted to accept files over 4GB. Certain partition types do not support files over 4GB.
  4. Sebastian42 New Member

Thanks Received:
    It was exFAT, and not behaving as expected, so tried to format it to NTFS, but eventually had to settle for exFAT again. Then copying to it halted at the third file. I made all kind of physical changes (card holder, USB socket ...) till eventually it allowed 58Gb of copying - took many hours. I thought I'd fill up the remaining few Gb, and became suspicious when it allowed copying-in of 300Mb, when WinEx showed there were only 52Mb of space left. THEN I discovered that most of the 58Gb of files would not play - (because they have 0 duration). That's a long answer to a short question.
  5. pigulici

pigulici

Thanks Received:
    Try to reformat to be ntfs, you can use Hp Format Utility...
  6. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Can you write anything else to the microSD card and have it be readable such as audio, text, or pictures?
  7. Sebastian42 New Member

Thanks Received:
    There was a long webpage of discussion about the HP Format utility. I selected the bottom-most suggestion, downloaded it and tried it, but it was creating a bootstick from a CD/DVD. I have tried formatting it in different PCs. One does nor allow NTFS, and another does. Even Disk Manager said it could not format.
    Yet in a third PC, I have been able to add movie files, ONE-AT-A-TIME, and they play in VLC ! So there is something high complex and variable going on !
  8. Sebastian42 New Member

Thanks Received:
    See my reply to Pigulici. My practical problem is solved, but it is a theoretical mare's nest.
  9. pigulici

pigulici

Thanks Received:
    Well before give up, try to format in ntfs from linux live, like Gparted live cd...
  10. Sebastian42 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sorry, but I have spent too much time on this already - painstakingly 'filling' the SD card with movies one by one - not finished yet. I would rather continue that to achieve my aim, than to wipe all that yet again and start over. Also I do not have linux; maybe I should get it, but that is for the next impasse.,
  11. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
  12. Sebastian42 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have 'hundreds' of updates. Until I have an easy way to search them, I can't see that it's worth my while to do a manual scan , where I could easily make a mistake anyway. So if you can 'show' me how to search the Update history, I would be much obliged.
  13. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    Download it, it'll tell you if it's installed or not.
  14. Sebastian42 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Interesting exercise. I have no reason to believe that the size is REPORTED incorrectly. After I had copied 38GB to the 64Bb card, I was NOT told that it was full, but any further files copied had 0 time length, so would not play. They appeared to take up hundred of Mb though ! After downloading and trying to install the update, I got the following message "The update is not applicable to your computer."
  15. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    This screams media failure or formatting problem. If drive management wont let you format as NTFS either something isnt working right like a bad hidden partition or a system marked dirty bit. I would run the clean command via disk part in a command promot but this will destroy all data on the disk. Then using the same utility I would try to format it as NTFS.

If this doesnt work something is wrong with the disk. Especially if it randomly tells drives no length is detected it may be bad sectors on the disk or the controller is failing.
  16. Sebastian42 New Member

Thanks Received:
    As said before, I have now tediously managed to get 38Gb playable movies onto it - I will NOT start over with any further attempts and just accept that it may be faulty.
  17. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    I did rude much? Dont ask for help then I honestly hope this fails on you within the next several days. Have a nice night sir.
    FreedomEclipse and ThE_MaD_ShOt say thanks.
  18. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Okay, problems solved. Good.