1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Moving on or staying with Windows ?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by [H]@RD5TUFF, Oct 25, 2012.

1. fusionblu

fusionblu

Thanks Received:
    I intend to stay on the Window 7 OS as I'm using a Desktop PC and Windows 8 won't be much of a significant upgrade for me to move to that right away, and beside I would prefer to learn about its flaws first before buying 'head-first' into it.

As for Linux I've sort of gave up, but I intend to possibly try again with it when I rebuild my PC and set a side a HDD to install Linux on as I don't feel that I get a genuine experience when using it in VMWare Workstation (it's a OS simulator/ Virtual PC equivalent).

2. m1dg3t

m1dg3t

Thanks Received:
    As a person in the market for a new OS what would be the best choice? I'm assuming 7 since it is more mature, but new build & new tech want the "best" software...

Linux is a no go for me, yes i am a douche nozzle :eek:

3. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Windows 8.

4. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I'll probably be installing Windows 8 this weekend. No, I don't like the lack of a start menu, but I'm already used to the new layout. I do love the SSD support.

5. adulaamin

adulaamin

Thanks Received:
    I'll be moving to W8 probably in a month or 2. I just have to familiarize myself with it first. :)

Crunching for Team TPU
  6. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Ill be buying it this weekend but not installing it. As soon as I get CS6 I will however.

7. erocker

Thanks Received:
    I just found out it's a bit faster in Excel too. This is nice, since I use Excel constantly for my books.

8. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    Staying with Windows 7 and here's 10 good reasons why. They've become restrictive like Apple, but a helluva lot worse. I'm not paying good money for this.

eidairaman1 says thanks.
  9. erocker

Thanks Received:
    Um... That article has nothing to do with Windows 8 for desktop PC's. It deals with Windows 8 tablets and the app store.

One thing I agree with though is not spending money on Windows 8. It comes wth my technet account. If I didn't have the account, I would not be buying Windows 8.

10. m1dg3t

m1dg3t

Thanks Received:
    The transistion for me from Vista/Xp will be massive to either of these OSes. 7 is prolly the easiest to migrate to for me (because it is a close relative of those) but 8 is the newest so *should* be best for the new gear. The GUI is what is really putting me off of 8, i need to find someone with a PC running 8 so i can try it out for myself.

Is the SSD support that much better/different than on 7? Ya the lack of a start menu is also weird for me, how else am i supposed to find stuff whem i'm drunk and everything is a blur? :laugh:

Anyone know if 8 will be as receptive to old/er games like 7 is? I'm hoping i can get some older titles working on the new build :eek:

11. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    Staying with 7 unless FX performance boost or I get an SSD.

12. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, I know. The point is that I don't want to give money to Microsoft for implementing something like this. So, at the moment, it's limited to the Start screen aka Metro, but what's to stop it spreading to the desktop in later versions? Also, one gets the distinct impression that MS wants to do away with the full desktop, leaving only Metro and it's super-enclosed ecosystem. It's this mission creep that's a bigger problem and what really bothers me.

I'm not surprised that you wouldn't be buying W8 without TechNet: not enough new features to justify it and the removal of Aero, which many people, myself included, really like.

Finally, my thoughts on why W8 generally isn't much faster than W7: there's not much to speed up. If W7 isn't slowing down applications, then there's nothing to speed up, is there? This makes both OSs very efficient.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
    eidairaman1 says thanks.
  13. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    Since this is a little bit of a different question...

I am staying with Windows as the main OS on my desktops, but not 8.
    However, I do have other OSes (including Windows 8 from TechNet) I use for playing around with and testing.

I will probably, in the future, have a device or platform that I will use 8 on... if, I find one that fits me and meets my needs.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
  14. exodusprime1337

exodusprime1337

Thanks Received:
    I'll go to 8 soon enough. Mainly just because i like being on the newest hardware/software. I even bit it an went with windows vista when it released. I've tried windows 8 for a few months and although the start menu was a little odd, the rest of it seemed snappy and fun to play with.

15. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    I found this. Nothing revolutionary compared to 7 from the sound of it but yeah an "improvement".

That's when you are supposed to go to bed. I remember trying to game and shit in that state. Ugh. Well, at least you aren't driving. :p

Good question; will try to launch Unreal when I get 8 installed. had the RTM on a box at work and rebuilding things at home right now anyway.

16. Novulux

Thanks Received:
    Picking up my copy of Windows 8 Pro from Micro Center tomorrow as I've been using it since Dev Preview > Consumer > Release > Enterprise Evaluation and I've adjusted.

I do not care much about UI, and at the rare times I do need to use the start menu, it's never for more than a few seconds.

Both my parents and younger brother have also adapted to it already for use on their laptops.

17. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    is this OEM edition youre getting?

18. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    I'll probably stay with 7 for the foreseeable future. There's just not enough of a reason for me to upgrade. Plus I'd hate to have to do a reinstall of all my programs for my online college courses.

Crunching for Team TPU
  19. Phusius

Phusius New Member

Thanks Received:
    I just finished re-installing all my drivers and setting up Windows 8, I really do like it a lot. I just pinned a lot to my taskbar and Home Page, no need for a start menu now. :)

I really like it, it just feels more solid overall, not bad for $14.99

20. Novulux

Thanks Received:
    Yes, unless they have retail versions in stock.

21. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    trust me get the OEM, save the cash

22. BlackOmega

BlackOmega

Thanks Received:
    I think I'm going to give 8 a shot. I'll "upgrade" an XP machine I have. I'm still keeping 7 on my main machine. And just for shits and giggles, I'll give Linux a shot too.

23. lyndonguitar

lyndonguitar I play games

Thanks Received:
    sticking to 7 but may use windows 8 for "testing purposes",

hopefully 9 will come and will be good like 7/XP.

24. t77snapshot

t77snapshot

Thanks Received:
    I think I will be with Win7 for awhile, I like it. If I ever get any free time I would love to learn Linux though. I am in the process of rebuilding my 2nd rig (dedicated cruncher) and might install Linux on it instead of 7 again.

Crunching for Team TPU
  25. Am*

Thanks Received:
    I'm going to be sticking Windows 8 later on for my gaming PC (when SSDs hit a new low price point and when I upgrade everything else: RAM to 16GB/32GB, GPUs to GTX 780 and cooler to an NH-D14). As usual, this OS will not replace my W7 Pro, XP Pro or Windows 2000 Pro partitions, which believe it or not, I still use even on this socket 1155 desktop. The way I saw it, you can't lose, since £24.99 is nothing to pay for an OS, and even if worst case scenario happens, I'll just stick it on my file servers due to the NTFS file system overhaul they did with W8 and have it run my media servers too.