1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

MSI 970 Gaming board.

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by GLD, Jul 18, 2014.

1. GLD

GLD

Thanks Received:
    I see the MSI 970 Gaming board now on the Egg. It looks pretty good with it's black and red color scheme, complimenting the GSkill Trident X ram. The boards overview list audio as Creative Sound Blaster Cinema 2, yet the board specs. say Realtek ALC1150. What is up with this? It has the Killer E2200 for LAN which I read people either love or hate. I am eyeing this board. The color scheme, it has a pci slot (I still run my XFi Fatal1ty sound card) and the price tag is pretty good at $100.

Can someone with more FX experience then me answer if I could oc my ram on the MSI with out oc'ing the cpu? I like the 95w tdp of my FX 6300, but would be happy to run my (2400) ram at 2133.

2. GhostRyder

GhostRyder

Thanks Received:
    Well the memory controller on an FX chip is at 1866, so as far as stability at higher ram clocks that comes down to just giving it a try and seeing if your system will be happy with it. If not then you have to start playing with the board.

I run Gskill TridentX 1866 Ram and I have tested higher speed ram before and gotten it at 2133 without any adjustments to my chip. Normally if you overclock the CPU you have a chance the memory may not be stable at higher clocks. I would say you should be fine at least up to 2133, but I have not tested b up to 2400mhz on my system. Then again I am also basing this off an FX 8350 and 9590 CPU I tested.

3. Batou1986

Batou1986

Thanks Received:
    Yes, you can set the RAM divider independent of the CPU and change the FSB as needed just adjust the multiplier for the CPU to keep it at stock.

4. ibay190

ibay190

Thanks Received:
    i buy this 2 days ago, everything was ok, but i've got one problem about PWM fan, smart fan control on BIOS is not work, when cpu idle/load, my cpu fan not go higher or lower, all i can do is set my pwm fan to speedup fan rpm manually (i prefer 1700rpm)

this is very annoying to brand new mobo like this, my CM seidon work perferctly in my old mobo, Gigabye 78LMT s2p. never had this issue Before.

Attached Files:

• ss.png
      ss.png
      File size:
      256.8 KB
      Views:
  5. bakuman

bakuman New Member

Thanks Received:
    you can try to update your bios,every promblem will be solved.YAEEEE