1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

MSI Afterburner Crashes PC

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by da20valve, Mar 24, 2011.

1. da20valve

Thanks Received:
    So i got my second R6950 Twin Frozr back from warranty and i decided to overclock it, Anyway i loaded up the latest version of MSI Afterburner. the clocks on after burner only go to 840Mhz so after a little messing around i read that you have to put in a line in the notepad file in program files of the afterburner program. After putting in the line and resrating the pc whenever the pc starts up as SOON as it loads the catalyst control centre the screen goes crazy and freezes, I got around this but rebooting in safe mode and disabling catalyst control centre from starting then i rebooted and eveything is fine. My question is is there some sort of glitch with the 11.2 drivers and afterburner, or is there a workaround,? I dont really need catalyst control centre if im using afterburner but i am just curious.

2. random

random

Thanks Received:
    I personally never had problems with overclocking in Afterburner while Catalyst is running using my MSI 6950 in single/crossfire mode.

3. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    "EnableULPS" reg edit needed.

;)

4. da20valve

Thanks Received:
    Afterburner

Nope doesnt work, anymore suggestion (preferably more then 3 words). (and preferably no posts about how they have had no problems) using afterburner :)

Catalyst Control Centre 11.2
    Msi afterburner 2.10 and 2.20
    ATI MSI R6950 Twin Frozr

Comeon people hit me with a suggestion

5. 2DividedbyZero New Member

Thanks Received:
    you have to change several occurances of "EnableULPS" in the registry to "0", did you press F3 to continue through the whole of the registry or just change the 1 entry?

6. da20valve

Thanks Received:
    Okay i updated to 11.2 control centre downloaded and installed the MSI afterburner 2.20.
    then i opened up the CFG file in notepad, down the very bottom there is a blank space i copied and pasted this in. I confirm that I am aware of unofficial overclocking limitations and fully understand that MSI will not provide me any support on it. SAVED and exited.
    Then i went to regedit and changed the following "EnableULPS" values to 0 PRESSED F3 and did them all, then i exited the registry and restarted, Then apon restart as soon at the CC centre loads there is a rainbow of colors and it freezes

7. 2DividedbyZero New Member

Thanks Received:
    its not a requirement to disable ULPS, I don't and I'm using AB2.1.0 and CrossfireX 5970/5850.

there is obviously an issue with bypassing the clocks on your cards using AB, try to do it via the BIOS using RBE, there is plenty of info on here about that.

8. inferKNOX

inferKNOX

Thanks Received:
  9. 2DividedbyZero New Member

Thanks Received:
    as if by magic, Mr Ben appeared..... :D

10. da20valve

Thanks Received:
    I need a answer from people that are using the 11.2 drivers and afterburner 2.20 and a RADEON 6950

11. inferKNOX

inferKNOX

Thanks Received:
    I use 11.2 with a 6950 and use MSI AB 2.1.
    Read what I said and try it, it works.

??

12. da20valve

Thanks Received:
    On the above post you said you disabled it and use the racer x tool, then you say you use afterburner, so wich one is it you use

13. inferKNOX

inferKNOX

Thanks Received:
    What RacerX tool does is allow you to shift your CCC limits. You use it once only to produce a reg file that you run to edit your registry automatically.
    After that, you can OC with Afterburner as normal without needing to enable unofficial overclocking because the limits will already be higher. ;)
    That's why I gave you a link to where I got the RacerX tool from, so that you read what it's about. :)

14. da20valve

Thanks Received:
    Okay i have read it and understand it, But i dont have 3 fucking hours to go through all the shit, maybe when i am feeling more patient. :)

15. inferKNOX

inferKNOX

Thanks Received:
    ??
    All you do it download the RacerX tool (here), run it to make the .reg file, run the reg file, reboot and you're done, now you can OC as far as you want with MSI AB. How is that 3 hours? At most it's about 3 minutes.
    BTW, you're quite new here to be using profanity & I don't appreciate it when trying to help you.

16. da20valve

Thanks Received:
    So profanity is tollerated if your not new to the forum ?, I wasnt swearing at you i was just swearing in general. :)

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Last edited: Mar 24, 2011
  17. LifeOnMars

LifeOnMars New Member

Thanks Received:
    Agreed, the guy is rude. I suggest you read the forum rules da20valve.

18. da20valve

Thanks Received:
    I suggest you mind your own business, i already said i was sorry

19. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    Please play nice here, the mods are cool guys but will step in when you are acting up. this forum is full of knowledge and good people. we know you are frustrated and TPU will help as much as possible

THANKS

inferKNOX and LifeOnMars say thanks.
  20. LifeOnMars

LifeOnMars New Member

Thanks Received:
    I like you. You remind me of when I was young and stupid ;) Just tone it down and be polite, there is alot of good guys here with great knowledge.

21. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    play nice, they were just asking you to be polite. we try to keep these forums professional and clean. and yes, the same applies to them as well.

LifeOnMars says thanks.