• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

MSI r6950 BIOS editing

nBkDax

hey guys i have been trying to modify my 6950's bios (running 2 in crossfire)
i want to overclock it and unlock the shaders
so initially
i loaded up a 6970 bios and they ran no problem, although i was not happy with the temps (and got a random reboot while stressing them in 3dmark vantage) i fiddled a bit with RBE and changed the fan settings but the way the fans started to work was weird, like temp sensors had 'lag' before they realized the card was and then suddenly they were like OMG cool the card down and started up like a tornado o_O.
not happy with that i tried to just mod the stock bios unlocked the shaders and bumped up the clocks but with that the PC froze at the windows logo, so i atm have opted just like you and only unlocked shaders but i dont see much difference in the performance tbh.......
although my 3dmark11 seems broken now >.< (vantage still works)

tbh i think i did not modify the bios correctly (powerplay states confuse me)
here is a screenshot of what the overclocked rom looks like in RBE

also those powerplay states don't really correspond to the guide on RBE that i read
so i assumed the highest clock would be the one the card runs at in a game thus it is the one i edited.

and so here is the part i think that's making it not work

so like i think it might be something to do with that overdrive limit (circled in red) being less then what the actual clocks are set at.
still new to Radeon cards and RBE
so if u are interested and can help here is a link to the bios's for my card
http://www.quickshare.co.za/files/i9m441vi/6950_bios.rar.html
one is the stock bios (named bios.rom) and the other 2 are unlocked with only one being overclocked
only one that gives me issues is the overclocked one
also the way the fan works erratically is annoying

biohazord

Is there a reason your not using MSI Afterburner? I unlocked my shaders with a modded 6950 BIOS and overclocked it with Afterburner. I've got my R6950 overclocked to 914MHz and I have a custom fan profile. Works like a charm.