• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Multi-Threaded games - General info.

System Name Is rly gud
Processor Intel Core i5 11600kf
Motherboard Asus Prime Z590-V ATX
Memory (48GB total) 16GB (2x8GB) Crucial Ballistix Sport 3000MHZ and G. Skill Ripjaws 32GB 3200MHZ (2x16GB)
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 3060 12GB
Storage 1TB MSI Spatium M370 NVMe M.2 SSD
Display(s) 32" Viewsonic 4k, 34" Samsung 3440x1440, XP Pen Creative Pro 13.3
Power Supply EVGA 600 80+ Gold
VR HMD Meta Quest Pro, Tundra Trackers
Software Windows 10
I re-read the above post and no you didn't. I do not see you mentioning 'online multiplayer' anywhere in that post.

I didn't come here to make my CPU sound better than it is..I came to ask a question based on your statement because in light of that statement it did seem misleading. CDdude55 answered it. I simply told what my P-4 can do for me - what I find it is capable of. If you don't want to believe it that's not my problem.

I laugh at you guys with your Higher Resolution Worship. I can see if we were talking about 600x400 but 1024 x 768 looks Great. Anything more is over kill and you do not really see much of a difference. You boys like the higher resolutions so you can have bragging rights. All that testosterone flying.. that's So 80's.

My default desktop is 1280 x 1024 and I can play most games in this too with no problems though I do not because I find it's not needed.. just a waste of resources.

High resolution is not just for gaming. It's also needed for efficiently handling large image files and videos or doing multiple tasks at the same time in a more organized manner.

Try reading text all day on a 42" plasma at 1024x768 or photoshopping at that resolution. I have a tv just like that. The pixels can be counted from 20 feet away.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
I re-read the above post and no you didn't. I do not see you mentioning 'online multiplayer' anywhere in that post.

I didn't come here to make my CPU sound better than it is..I came to ask a question based on your statement because in light of that statement it did seem misleading. CDdude55 answered it. I simply told what my P-4 can do for me - what I find it is capable of. If you don't want to believe it that's not my problem.

I laugh at you guys with your Higher Resolution Worship. I can see if we were talking about 600x400 but 1024 x 768 looks Great. Anything more is over kill and you do not really see much of a difference. You boys like the higher resolutions so you can have bragging rights. All that testosterone flying.. that's So 80's.

My default desktop is 1280 x 1024 and I can play most games in this too with no problems though I do not because I find it's not needed.. just a waste of resources.

that covers it very well, the crysis benchmarks cover my point exactly - its one of the ones i keep hearing of it being 'multithreaded so get a quad core'

the only one i dispute is the bad company 2 bench, i REALLY noticed that game hammering my dual core, and getting a huge boost from going 6 core. It sounds like they used a FRAPS run of a single player level for their test, when the MP portion is what really matters (the physics effects are CPU heavy in MP, and not as much in SP)

SP, MP. Single player, multi player. BC2 doesnt have any kind of multiplayer except online, so its somewhat obvious.

All your posts seem to be, is insulting us (haha, you waste money on high end CPU's/monitors/video cards/etc) and trying to tell us how awesome it is. I had a screen that did 1280x1024 when i was TWELVE. its somewhat outdated by todays standards.

John Phoenix

SP, MP. Single player, multi player. BC2 doesnt have any kind of multiplayer except online, so its somewhat obvious.

All your posts seem to be, is insulting us (haha, you waste money on high end CPU's/monitors/video cards/etc) and trying to tell us how awesome it is. I had a screen that did 1280x1024 when i was TWELVE. its somewhat outdated by todays standards.

Your right.. I was looking for the multiplayer statement in your first post.. I forgot it was in a post below it. My bad on that.

On the contrary, it was you guys insulting my p-4 after I told what I do with mine. I could give a rats azz about it or my monitor being not as good as today's models. It's all hype to make money off you guys.. if you have it to spend.. good for you.. my point was that for great gaming I find it's overkill. Sure I might "like" to have it too but it's not necessary.

Again.. your bragging rights are showing. "I had a screen that did 1280x1024 when i was TWELVE." Talk about insulting statements. I had one too back in 98 with windows 98. so.. what are you now.. like 24? Besides, I said that was my current desktop resolution.. I can do much more than that, I don't have an old monitor.. I just choose not to because again.. it's not necessary.

1Kurgan1

The Knife in your Back
System Name My Comp | Fiancees Comp
Processor i7 5820k @ 4.6Ghz 1.285v| i5 2500k
Motherboard MSI x99 SLI Plus | AsRock Z77 Pro 3
Cooling Watercooled
Memory 16GB DDR4 2400 @ 2666 | 12GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) AMD R9 290x | MSI 5850 OC
Storage 128gb SSD + 2x 2TB | 2TB
Display(s) Asus 27" LCD | 25" Hanns G
Case CM Storm | CM Elite 430
Audio Device(s) Creative Recon 3D PCIe
Power Supply Enermax Galaxy 1250W | Rosewill 630w
Mouse Logitech G700s | Logitech G100s
Keyboard Logitech G901 | Logitech G105
Software Win 8.1 Ultimate x64 | Win 8.1 Ultimate x64
Benchmark Scores 3D Mark - Fire Strike Extreme - 4403

1024x768 is still a 4:3 resolution, I used that resolution back in 2002 (not trying to be insulting). Just trying to say that even on console gaming they have moved to a wider aspect ratio. And I know oyu don't think the difference is noticeable, but with the extra pixels on screen it really is, heres the difference between the resolutions. To get the greatest detail out of the newer games it's just going to require you to play at a higher resolution. You got to look at it like this 1024x768 = 786,432 pixels on screen, where as the 16:9 resolution of 1920x1080 = 2,073,600 (a bit over 2 million), and the 16:10 1920x1200= 2,304,000. The amount of detail gained through over double the amount of pixels is a lot, with my current setup I use AA simply because I can, but if I came across a game that stressed my system I wouldn't have an issue dropping down the AA simply because I got the resolution where I don't need to make huge jaggies go away.

Playing at 1024x768 with todays videocards makes them all compete very closely, it's just not enough stress for them to really have to do anything. Here you can see, even the weakest videocards out there play the game just fine.

Also take al ook at the best card in this, it's a 5750 like you got, you can see at that resolution it destroys the game (granted I'm sure this isn't maxed out settings on this game.

Now here's 1920x1200, once again I'm doubting maxed out settings, and you can see the 5750 is almost actually at unplayable settings. sub 30 fps gets choppy and thats at 36fps average which means it will be under 30fps a lot.

If it makes you happy that is all that matters, but the increase to a modern resolution is a large jump, and is very noticeable.

Last edited:

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
A bit off-topic. :)

Yeah. That's what defintely I gonna agree with. But, it would be awesome, that game developers, would do "multi-thread" patches, for every, or at least some, games of past 4 years? in which they recommended multicore cpu. Seems? they just advertise new quads, since Q6600, and till now, but the real amount of games, which really require more than 2 cores, could be count on the fingers of both hands. And it's sad. I guess this is only obstacle, witch makes difference between X360 and PC in technological level. And I don't mean PC is worse. It's definetly beats Xcoffin to ashes, in GPU part, but still has rakes in CPU multi-threading.

It would be great, if games had some tools, to configure process loading, on every thread, depending on the CPU, that user has. Even if these tolls would be a third-party made, but if they could to use extra cores in the old games, which I still love, as GRAW, Vegas 2, Gears Of War, GTR Evolution, or even Dawn Of War 1. I know, that this sounds like total nonsense, and whining, but just another wish and hope. :ohwell:

it kind of is nonsense, yeah.

You cant get a thread, and split it in two. As i said earlier: one thread, on one core will always limit you. having more threads wont help you in the slightest, so long as that bottleneck exists.

I guess you still waiting for 4320p until you upgrade four 14" CRT?

OT: Good read

System Name My pc
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus Rog b450-f
Cooling Cooler master 120mm aio
Memory 16gb ddr4 3200mhz
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 3x 3070
Storage 2tb intel nvme and 2tb generic ssd
Display(s) Generic dell 1080p overclocked to 75hz
Case Phanteks enthoo
Power Supply 650w of borderline fire hazard
Mouse Some wierd Chinese vertical mouse
Keyboard Generic mechanical keyboard
Software Windows ten

It's not really bragging have a now standard resolution screen.

There is a huge noticeable difference in screen resolutions I find, I went from 1280x1024 to 1400x900 ( about the same amount of detail but now I had more peripheral vision) to 1680x1050 and I tell you what, it's easier gaming on a high res screen, due to the extra pixels I can actually see enemies from further away, say something is so far it's only 3x2 pixels on your screen it might be 6x4 on mine, I'd have a better chance of shooting that target eh.

I want to get two other monitors so I can game : 5040x1050 which probably sounds obscene to you.

But the centre screen just functions as normal I'd have the same field of view there as normal. only I have an extra 1764000 Pixels either side of that normal field of view giving me nigh on regular peripheral vision.

It's not just a case of quality you can fit more visual data in a higher resolution screen : ]

Edit: in regards to this thread.

Who here leaves their CPU at stock anyway? Buy a quad and overclock it, then play 4hd pron movies at once!