• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

MX-2 Thermal Compound

System Name Home/Work/Home
Processor Dual Xeon 5570 / Core i5-2.6Ghz / Dell Vostro 410 Xeon L5430
Motherboard Lenovo D20 / Dell 4110 / Vostro 410 G33 based
Cooling stock / stock / stock
Memory 12Gb / 4Gb / 4Gb
Video Card(s) 9800GT 512 / HD3000 / 9800GT 512 PCIE
Storage Geez Louise - a whole bunch !
Display(s) CRT Phillips Brilliance 204P
Case EATX / Laptop / Glorious Dell Vostro 410
Audio Device(s) stock / stock / stock
Power Supply stock / stock / stock
Mouse Zowie, is there another?
Keyboard Awesome Dell Natural (by Microsoft)
Software W2K3 Svr / W2K3 Svr
Benchmark Scores Alot / not so much / Working on it
Small margins of improvement do not indicate a better compound...

After visiting all these sites that review MX2 against the competition, I can only say that none of them have convinced me that AS5 does not reign supreme.

Frankly, a compound's true performance cannot be measured without precisely identical applications of each competing compound. I have seen no site that actually recognizes this fact and puts such into practice.

Even AS5 can yield crappy results if it is not applied correctly. I know from my first try in mid-winter months with office temp of 64°F. I did not know I needed to preheat anything at that time (preheat surface of processor, heatsink, tube of AS5, etc).

My first application of AS5 gave me around 65°F load temps and with the same HSF my last AS5 application achieved around 58°F. Both cases having all other factors being the same. AS5 has such high viscosity, that it must be spread with something that will yield a film residue, rather than a puddle, or smeared imprint.

In fact, if you can just begin to see the cpu markings through the AS5 film, then you have achieved an optimum AS5 application. Only a very, very tiny amount of AS5 is needed (pinhead bead) for most cpus. I use a ballpoint pen cartridge to "roll" out the bead into a film that covers the entire mating surface. This takes time, but the result is worth it.

Regards,
jtleon

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
spread? most of us follow the instructions, put a blob in the middle and let the pressure do the spreading.

Memory 12Gb / 4Gb / 4Gb
Indeed - the blob method is not optimum

spread? most of us follow the instructions, put a blob in the middle and let the pressure do the spreading.

The blob method is great if you are clamping to pieces of 200 grit sandpaper together, but in most cases, the cpu and heatsink mating surfaces are of much finer quality, and only a thin film of compound is necessary to fill the very small voids.

Note that the blob approach, thanks to high compound viscosity, will never allow the entire mating surfaces to be covered (i.e. transfer heat).

Regards,
jtleon

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
The blob method is great if you are clamping to pieces of 200 grit sandpaper together, but in most cases, the cpu and heatsink mating surfaces are of much finer quality, and only a thin film of compound is necessary to fill the very small voids.

Note that the blob approach, thanks to high compound viscosity, will never allow the entire mating surfaces to be covered (i.e. transfer heat).

Regards,
jtleon

covering the entire surface wasn't a good idea on 939, as you'd get suction and the CPU would get torn out of the socket when removing the cooler.

Also, is it needed? heatspreaders negate it a bit, since you only need grease above the cores, not across the entire thing.

If you've got some links or anything to back you up, fire away - but in my experience the blob method when done properly, yields temps as good as painstakingly spreading it.

Memory 12Gb / 4Gb / 4Gb
My experience is similar...

covering the entire surface wasn't a good idea on 939, as you'd get suction and the CPU would get torn out of the socket when removing the cooler.
Also, is it needed? heatspreaders negate it a bit, since you only need grease above the cores, not across the entire thing.
If you've got some links or anything to back you up, fire away - but in my experience the blob method when done properly, yields temps as good as painstakingly spreading it.

My experience is similar - when removing a cold heatsink. However, the suction problem disappears when only a film of compound is spread on the IHS (the film is almost translucent). Typically, suction is caused by using too much compound and trying to remove a HSF when the system is cold.

Understand that the compound is the least thermal conductive substance in the joint, and thus the less that is used, the better the heat transfer. As I mentioned before, I only apply a small pin head volume of compound and carefully spread that out using a ball point pen refill cartridge (like "rolling" out the dough).

I'll look for some links for you, but let me share my engineering experience with you. Consider the thermal conductivity of copper (the typical IHS material and better HSF material in use today) to be around 400 W/m-K. The thermal conductivity of Arctic Silver 5 is 8.9 W/m-K. As you can see, heat flows much more easily (4500% faster) in solid copper than in AS5. This means that the core heat flows to the outer edges of the IHS almost instantly, so that the total IHS surface is a uniform temperature - no hot spots. The heat flow from the IHS to the HSF is directly proportional to the area of coverage of the AS5, such that if only 50% is covered, then only 50% of core heat may pass into the HSF. This fact alone is justification for spreading the compound for full coverage, regardless of the blob mentality.

I cannot find the W/m-K rating for MX-2 anywhere online, however I suspect it is much lower than AS5. If you find such a rating, please post it. For example, event Tuniq's TX-2 only has a 4.5 W/m-K rating as is reported by TPU.

Regards,
jtleon