1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

MX518 woes: I need a new mouse.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Yukikaze, Jun 27, 2009.

1. Yukikaze

Yukikaze

Thanks Received:
    Alright. My two year old Logitech MX518 isn't holding up to wear and tear very well, which worries me, since I have two of them, but the other one is still in decent shape.

The coating on the plastic parts begins to peel off and this is annoying me to no end.

I need a good gaming mouse, with the following requirements:
    • At least 4 buttons, preferrably six.
    • Adjustable sensitivity on the fly without a driver.
    • Something that will last for a LONG time.
    • At least as sensitive as the MX518.

Can someone help me out here ?

Thanks.
  2. Laurijan New Member

Thanks Received:
  3. Yukikaze

Yukikaze

Thanks Received:
    I am a little wary on the build quality of Logitech mice right now. My MX518 isn't holding up to time too well, and I'd hate for the same to happen to me with a more expensive mouse like the G9.

I'll also add another requirement: It needs to be at least a big as the MX518. I have relatively large hands, and smaller mice (IIRC, the G9 is smaller) make my wrists hurt due to the way I tend to hold them....
  4. Darknova

Darknova

Thanks Received:
    G5 2007? (the blue one)

Same shape as the MX518, better build quality IMO. Same amount of buttons, doesn't need a driver for dpi switching, and the dpi goes up 2000dpi.
  5. unibrow1990

unibrow1990 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Microsoft sidewinder has everything you want, it's also very large and though i haven't had mine for long I am so far impressed by it's build quality.
  6. Darknova

Darknova

Thanks Received:
    Depends which model, IMO the only sidewinder worth considering is the X8 (which I have and LOVE), the rest are...well I'd much rather have a G5.
  7. Polarman

Polarman New Member

Thanks Received:
    Just 2 years. :twitch:

Rough hands or too much gaming?
  8. Kenshai

Thanks Received:
    My room mate has the X8, it's not for me. So I purchased the Gigabyte M8000, haven't had an issue with it yet. Works great, takes a little bit getting used to from my logitech mouse, but DPI adjustments on the fly and instant profile changes, unlike the razer mice I have used. Up to 4000 DPI, it's a nice mouse.
  9. Darknova

Darknova

Thanks Received:
    See how personal these things are?

The X8 is the first mouse I've bought where I haven't tested it out first, luckily it all went well, but for something that's so personal, and something that you'll be using all the time you can't just buy it based on someone else's opinion.

Yeah, take people's suggestions, but try and find a way to test them out for yourselves. That's why I suggested the G5 as it's the exact same shape as the MX518.
  10. Yukikaze

Yukikaze

Thanks Received:
    I'll take a look at the 'winders. Need to find a store where I can put a hand on them, rather than just see them on display.

I doubt the build quality of the G5 is anywhere different from the MX518, so I think I'll stay away from it for now.

As for why it isn't holding up, well, I don't know. I mean I don't have rough hands, but the Logitech logo on the top is losing paint on the edges and the grips on the sides are losing their coating. It is still usable, and probably will be usable for a while yet, but I was a little surprised it began to fall apart this fast.
  11. Yin

Yin

Thanks Received:
    have you consider razer products?
  12. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Logitech G5, 2007 edition (two thumb buttons)

I too went from a broken MX518 and tried many mice... and the G5 holds my love. its the MX518 you're used to, with a laser instead of optical - so its tracking is better in every way.

You go any other mouse it will have ups and downs comapred to the 518, whereas the G5 even has the same shape, grip, and button placement :)
  13. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    Fine tuned optical sensors track better than laser. :p
  14. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    true or not, i own both the MX518 and the G5 - G5 tracks better.
  15. zithe

zithe

Thanks Received:
    I have a Razer DeathAdder. It's quite nice. It does need a driver, but I believe this button on the bottom changes the DPI.
  16. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    Two years huh? I believe Logitech mice have a 3 year warranty, give Logitech a call, they may replace it without a receipt.
    Yukikaze says thanks.
  17. Yukikaze

Yukikaze

Thanks Received:
    I have considered Razer products, but they are quite expensive here (The same goes for the 'winders, actually). I might just go for the G5, although since it is pretty much the same mouse as the MX518, I am a little worried it'll end up in the same fashion.

I'll get in touch with Logitech, according to their page the MX518 does have a three year warranty. I'll see what that brings.

Thanks everyone !
  18. freaksavior

freaksavior To infinity ... and beyond!

Thanks Received:
    G5 or G9X

Got the G9X last night, love it, had the G5 for 18 months. good mouse, just time to move on.

it is f/s btw
    Crunching for Team TPU