1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

My files and folders are gone.

Discussion in 'General Software' started by ShogoXT, Sep 4, 2008.

1. ShogoXT

ShogoXT New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok I just noticed that on my second drive alot of the files and folders that should be there have disappeared and there is suddenly alot of free space on it. I dont remember deleting it and the recycling bin is empty. Is there some sort of deletion log I could look at or anything I can look at to find out what happened? Or possibly have I been attacked in some way!?!? Im on wireless and the folder in question IS shared, but its protected and the router shows no other ip use recently in the wireless network.

Any help is appreciated.

2. ShogoXT

ShogoXT New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok i was looking and it was in a very specific folder and a very specific letter range (a-r gone, s-z is fine). I dont get it....

EDIT: For something that big it would have avoided the Recycle bin for sure, but I would have noticed the vista file delete window. Or noticed the speed drop. I was playing wow beta most of the day, there was some stutter, but I assumed it was Crossfire along with wow's new shadows.

3. Silverel

Silverel New Member

Thanks Received:
    I used this after my wife tried deleting some pictures... I wanted those pictures. They were sexy.

It ain't perfect, but if you restore stuff to a seperate drive there's less chance of inadvertently overwriting something. Time is essential to recovering lost files. The longer you wait, the worse chances get of finding whole files.

4. ShogoXT

ShogoXT New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks man. I can tell you right now though its at least 120GB worth of stuff if that makes a difference. I dont THINK I did it, how can i prevent it from happening again. Other family members use the computer, il ask them about it, but is there a chance of some outside connection I should be worried about? I only port forward specific high digit ports when needed for games, and like I said I have a D-link router that has the wireless locked up.

5. ShogoXT

ShogoXT New Member

Thanks Received:
    Oh boy there is alot of them. Have you used this program personally? How do I select them all... Or do i have to select each and every one, one at a time...Turns out this was done at 18:25 (6:25PM?). I was on the comp. I DID have a blue screen..... Havent happened in a while.

6. ShogoXT

ShogoXT New Member

Thanks Received:
    Anyone know of recovery software that will not only recover tons of files, but also restore their paths? I dont like stuff i had organized for a reason splattered all over in the same folder and I have no clue what to do with them.

Thanks.

7. ShogoXT

ShogoXT New Member

Thanks Received:
    Nevermind im screwed. It was messing up the placement of my files when I realized it wasnt putting them back in the paths, I couldnt cancel so I end tasked it. Now they are gone. GG me.