1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

My Intel Core i7 and Phenom II 940 Comparison

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Chicken Patty, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Chicken Patty

Chicken Patty WCG Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    THANKS FOR SPOTTING THAT OUT, DONT KNOW WHAT THE PROBLEM CAN BE. wHAT WAS YOUR RAM RUNNING AT?

2. yogurt_21

yogurt_21

Thanks Received:
    of couser you can always get cheaper components and overclock them. just the same as for memory if I were going ddr3 I'd choose

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231225 something like that you'd be surprised at how well lover volt memory can tighten timings from stock.

then for mobo prolly something like http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131359 which shaves 80-100$ off of the price while doubling the memory. (which btw the memory estimate may be off significantly now looking) dropping the price differrence between the two to 200$ obviously the cpu price difference isn't the issue, it's the motherboards mainly.

and yeah you can even go down to 40$ if you want a 3gb kit of ddr3 and overclock it. making it similar in price to 1066 ddr2 (which you could go down to ddr2 800 and clock that as well though the price jump is not as significant). and you can go to the zotac mobo for 199$ making it a 120$ difference which is minimal when you think about it. I'm merely looking from a consumer standpoint, when I read a review I like to know the cost of the hardware reviewed.

the point is to help me decide which way I want to go (not that I'm unhappy with my q6700's performance, it's the p35 chipset and 9600gt I have beef with currently lol) While the performance i7 offers is a big jump from my current rig, how much is that worth and how much can I recoup from part sales? and is it worth it in the long run?

theoretical questions sure as with my current situation due to the economy (as bnge brought up is not is such a good state) I'm not really ready to buy much of anything right now. But I will be in the future and I like how this review was far more practical than others I've seen. Which means I may come back to it when i do decide to buy.

3. mav2000

mav2000 New Member

Thanks Received:
    My ram is running at 1000 Mhz. Here is a screenie for u...I am running the cpu at 3 Ghz, thats why I am a bit confused abt this.

Attached Files:

Chicken Patty says thanks.
  4. Chicken Patty

Thanks Received:
    I was running my ram at 1066 Mhz. Weird.

5. dr emulator (madmax)

dr emulator (madmax)

Thanks Received:
    so you can run an i7 on xp :eek::cool:
    what's the problems you've run into (if any)
    reason i ask is i was planning on getting 1 to upgrade this lovely machine:rolleyes:

6. Chicken Patty

Thanks Received:
    i didnt run into any problems. However I didnt do much with it. Had it for about 2 weeks then I went to W7. I just used it to bench as Xp yielded better scores for me.

7. dr emulator (madmax)

dr emulator (madmax)

Thanks Received:
    i see reason i asked is cause i plan on getting a i7
    i just wasn't sure if i could run xp at all well i'll see in a few weeks ;)
    what makes me laugh ,is some guy at a shop i was ringing about prices on parts
    said he had a copy of xp 64 bit with a recoverable licence which would work better than xp pro 32 bit
    i thought as if ,dodgy version of xp that had been used no thanks
    i'll probably invest in vista seen as it's not that much to buy

8. Chicken Patty

Thanks Received:
    why dont you download W7 RC1. Its a badass OS, then just get W7 when it comes out :)