1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

My project: Excalibur :)

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Israar, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Israar

Israar

Thanks Received:
    My project: Excalibur -- Q9450

Hey guys and gals, as the title says, this is about my current project: Excalibur -- I've got it up and running but still got components to get, and bits and bats to do to it.

Currently as it stands, the computer itself consists of the following:
    Code:
    Case: Mountain Mods U2-UFO - Brushed Ali PA120.3 Model
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450, Yorkfield Core, S775, 2.66GHz, 1333MHz, 12MB Cache
    CPU Water Block: D-Tek FuZion v2.0 - Universal
    DVD: Pioneer DVR-215SV, SATA, Silver OEM
    *GFX1: nVidia GeForce 8600 GTS 256MB DDR3
    HDD1: 160 Gb Maxtor/Seagate, SATA300, 7200 rpm, 32MB Cache
    HDD2: 1 Tb Maxtor/Seagate, SATA300, 7200 rpm, 32MB Cache
    Motherboard: XFX MB-N790-IUL9, NF790i Ultra MCP, 3-way SLI, S 775, PCI-E 2.0 (x16), DDR3 667/800/1066/2000, ATX
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate Retail (DVD) 32Bit & 64Bit
    Pump: Laing DDC 3.2 Ultra with Plexitop
    PSU: Real Power M1000 (RS-A00-ESBA)
    Radiator: ThermoChill PA120.3
    RAM: 4GB (2x2GB) CorsairTwinX XMS3, DDR3 PC3-12800 (1600), CAS 9-9-9-24(1.8v), DHX
    Reservoir: Danger Den Clear Bay Reservoir - 5.25"
    Tubing: 1/2" ID Tygon R3603

* The current graphics card is there for me to just generally use this for now as my old computer I've given to my youngest brother =) -- The two cards that will REPLACE the current graphics card will be 1GB XFX 9800GX2, Black Edition, PCI-E 2.0, 2100MHz GDDR3, GPU 719MHz, 256 Cores, 2xDL DVI-I/HDMI
    I am looking forward to overclocking this little monster hehe, although I'm still a novice in my eyes at overclocking! :O -- So, was looking for some kind help in making this more beefy!

The idea for now, is to get a stable CPU overclock out of the system, I'll be posting CPUz screenshots, Super Pi screenshots, temp screenshots, Prime95/IntelBurnTestx64 screenshots, and more if needed. I've only got a couple of pictures of the computer so far and albeit not brilliant ones, so when I get my digicam back from my mate I'll be posting some of those for you guys :)

I still need to get stuff like a new monitor, speakers, mouse and keyboard (soundcard aswell but for now I can persevere with onboard as it's not a massive priority yet :)) as to which all will come! Although the two graphics cards are my main priority at the minute then the monitor afterwards (though these as like 50/50 on whether I buy these first or a car lol, the joys of choices haha!) the rest will fall in place :)

If I'm missing anything out or questions arise that you want to ask, just tell me and I'll be glad to answer and add in what I'm missing out! :rockout:

--Lee
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2009
    Solaris17 says thanks.
  2. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    there are many people here that can help you overclock that processor, and your cooling looks more than capable.

Good luck!
    Israar says thanks.
  3. Israar

Israar

Thanks Received:
    Thanks fella, can't wait to tickle it and see how it goes :)

--Lee
  4. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    OMG sweet rig!!! man it looks like it finally happened! i remember when we were chatting back and forth and that was just paper!!! your going to love GX2's i love mine. man thats a really nice system really nice man congrats!!! lil bit of a step up from that FX-57
    Israar says thanks.
  5. richardbel

richardbel New Member

Thanks Received:
    you got a great set-up there bro..
    Israar says thanks.
  6. Israar

Israar

Thanks Received:
    Haha, the main man shows himself <3

Aye, and as I've proven to you now, when I say I'm going to do something, I always follow through with it eventually haha! :rockout:

I'm definitely going to love the GX2's, can't wait to have them pumping this machine hehe!

Glad you like it too fella, you seem more in love with it than I am! :D -- How cools that haha! As for the step up, if you recall well, it was an FX-55 which with your help I got it to a stable 2.8GHz, we hit 3.0GHz, but it wouldn't stabalize in windows for us if you remember lol :D

Ah well, good times ;)

EDIT: @richardbel: Thanks mate, glad you like it and hopefully I'll show it off for folding @ TPU :)

--Lee
  7. Israar

Israar

Thanks Received:
    Here's a screenie for now, I'll be taking some pics this weekend of the rig itself, but bear in mind the cable management is not done at present simply because I'm not spending my time doing that until I slap in the 2x 9800GX2s I'll be getting :D

[​IMG]

The memory timings are set at 7-7-7-20 T1 instead of the default 9-9-9-24 T1, BIOS automatically recommended it as optimal (if I'm remembering correctly) so thought I'll leave it with them lower than the standard lol, they're running on 1.8v too, had to change that from 1.5v as the rig was unstable with the timings of 7-7-7-20 and 9-9-9-24 at 1.5v...

Hope you like what you're seeing so far :)

Overclocking soon, so when I'm good to go, hopefully we can get this beauty to a stable 3.8GHz, although my goal is to reach 4GHz, 3.8GHz will be very satisfying :)

--Lee
  8. Israar

Israar

Thanks Received:
    Well, here's some shots for you lot XD

--Lee

Attached Files:

9. Israar

Israar

Thanks Received:
    Finally got round to overclocking my CPU and memory a little bit hehe! Thanks to wolf last night, kudos fella! :toast:

Here's some screenies for you peeps! :rockout:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hope you like them guys, as you might gather, I left the volts to auto, so that's why you see the difference in voltage increase for the CPU from stock to overclocked :)

There will be more to come, but going to let this run as it is for a while, even though it's quite stable! :)

--Lee
    wolf says thanks.
  10. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    dude this is gonna be all kinda of crazy awsome!!! grats on the OC great job i cant wait till you get the rest of that beast together!
    Israar says thanks.
  11. Israar

Israar

Thanks Received:
    Damn right fella, I can't wait, going for a higher FSB possibly this weekend and going for 3.6GHz/3.8GHz hehe, who knows :D

Definitely can't wait for it to be 100% fully done though! :D

--Lee
  12. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    that was a quick overclock, i need to do mine. what else have you got left to add?
    Israar says thanks.
  13. Israar

Israar

Thanks Received:
    Hehe, definitely ;)

2x eVGA GTX 285s (decided to go eVGA instead of XFX)

Then the case is done and dusted with.

Outside, 22" Monitor, Logitech G15 Keyboard, Razer Copperhead Tempest Blue mouse, Logitech Z5500 speakers and that's about it I think :)

Addons will be watercooling loop on GPU's in the future, a re-vamped loop for the CPU so both have smaller resevoirs inside, modded fan wiring so I can couple the cables up and use a smaller better fan controller. (Never done that before but I'll read up and see what I can do)

Getting some blue LEDs, got two atm just not installed, and for now that's it really hehe XD

--Lee
  14. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    ... so quite a bit then!
    Israar says thanks.
  15. Israar

Israar

Thanks Received:
    Kinda lol, but the major important bits mainly being the 2x eVGA cards and monitor ;)

--Lee
  16. wolf

wolf Performance Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Cheers man, always good to see a healthy overclock, and getting your ram up to full speed too, can you believe the board thought its max speed was 1066... thats harsh compared to the 1600 its rated at.

whats next 3.6... 3.8... beyond.... :eek:
    Israar says thanks.
  17. Israar

Israar

Thanks Received:
    Lol, the board can accomodate 2000 ;)

If you need pics I'll upload some of the motherboard box for you hehe, I just don't think the memory would or could handle it hehe! :D

Although I'm gonna try to go to 3.6GHz next, prime it, then if alls stable, straight onto 3.8GHz, rinse, repeat to 4GHz hehe! :D

As I told you, I'm gonna try to get as much out of it as possible, and try to keep the temps low, when the cards come, I'll have fun trying to get the same with those hehe!

Love the help I've received though, you certainly know your stuff :D -- :toast::rockout:

--Lee
    wolf says thanks.
  18. Binge

Binge Overclocking Surrealism

Thanks Received:
    Several thousand thumbs up! Great work :D
    Israar says thanks.
  19. Israar

Israar

Thanks Received:
    Haha, cheers fella and loving the several thousand thumbs up! ;)

:rockout:

Expect more to come though, and more pics ;) -- Woop! :toast:

--Lee
  20. h3llb3nd4

h3llb3nd4 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Metal! I Love Metal!:rockout:
    Israar says thanks.
  21. Israar

Israar

Thanks Received:
    Keep yourself coming back, there's more to come soon hehe ^^

--Lee
  22. Israar

Israar

Thanks Received:
    Well, now stable at 3.6GHz =)

HyperPi, CPU-z, Prime95 and SpeedFan for you guys ^^

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope you like it =) :rockout:

--Lee
  23. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    good effort man, this on air or water?
    Israar says thanks.
  24. Israar

Israar

Thanks Received:
    Water, although I'm thinking of redoing the loop intime to a smaller reservoir :)

Plus going rework all the tubing and what not and get everything neat inside once it's all setup, once that's sorted I plan on fan modding so I can use all fans on the fan controller as to which I'll get a new one, a better more snazzy looking one and keep the revved at 12v ;)

Got lots in store for this beaut hehe, and when I do get round to it, I'm going to get ahold of some MX-2 and replace the AS5 on the CPU see if I can get any drops in temp maybe hehe :rockout:

Going for 3.8GHz this weekend though ;)

--Lee
  25. Israar

Israar

Thanks Received:
    Here's some new pictures albeit crappy ones from my phone of my eVGA GTX 285 hehe, woop woop!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope you like the new update, more to come, next will be my 3.8GHz ;)

--Lee