1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Need a secondary sound system for TV/Media Computer

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Home Theater' started by LordJummy, Jul 4, 2011.

1. LordJummy

LordJummy New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm looking for a secondary 5.1 sound system that has toslink digital input that I can use with my TV and possibly a second media computer. I want to stay in the $300 range because I already have an expensive primary sound system for my workstation & gaming rig. $200-300 would be my target budget for this. I just want decent quality audio with digital surround & digital input. I was thinking of splurging and getting the new logitech Z906 but I don't know if I want to buy another $400 surround setup.

I was checking it out at local Fry's and it's pretty nice. My other computer setup is an older Creative Gigaworks G550 I bought back in 2006/2007 or so. I just never saw a need to upgrade.

I have toslink input and output on soundcard, and toslink digital output on TV. TV has no other audio outputs available.

Any sub $400 recommendations would be great. I'm having a hard time finding a system that has a built in receiver/decoder. I don't want to buy a receiver for this; I want an all-in-one package.

I'm also not an audiophile so I just want something that has good quality and a nice sound range with good volume. Doesn't have to be perfect.

I appreciate any help.

2. Funtoss

Funtoss New Member

Thanks Received:
    Go for Logitech X-530's they are simply fantastic at the price which is around $50-$70 and they have nice sound for movies and games :)

3. LordJummy

LordJummy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Do they have digital toslink inputs?

I have several ways of running audio to the speakers. I wanted to do TV's toslink straight to the speaker setup, but I could also run a toslink input from tv to analog out to speakers.

Right now I have Computer and PS3 hooked up to the TV via HDMI. I run the audio separately through my creative gigawatts 550w setup, but I would rather have the audio coming straight from the TV to the speakers, and it only has a digital toslink output. I just want the most simple setup possible. Argghh

4. techguy31

Thanks Received:
    Why not just get a Logitech Z-5500? It has a digital optical and coax optical input as well as the standard 3.5mm jacks (x3) for 5.1 sound. I believe that the Logitech Z-5500 will fit your need since you are not an audiophile. I am selling mines and I would say it is in excellent condition 10/10. If you want to buy just PM me.

5. LordJummy

LordJummy New Member

Thanks Received:
    If it's not under $200 I will probably go ahead and get the new Z906. I'd rather not buy it used unless it's really cheap. I would prefer to have a new warranty, etc.

6. techguy31

Thanks Received:
    Nope I'm not definitely going to sell mines for under $200, I believe I still have warranty on mines, I bought mines last year. You could check Ebay if you want cheaper. I suggest that you don't get the Logitech Z906 as the sub is actually smaller than the Logitech Z-5500. The control pod also looks hideous in my opinion compared to the Logitech Z-5500. As far as reviews about the audio performance, the Logitech Z-5500 is better than the Logitech Z906. If you want bass, I would suggest that you get the Logitech Z-5500 over the Logitech Z906.

7. LordJummy

LordJummy New Member

Thanks Received:
    I definitely prefer the look and feel of the Z906. I think the control pod looks a lot better than the 5500 blue backlit thing. The size of the sub is not important to me. It worked very well when I tested it in the shop.

If there's a Z-5500 set that is on sale for super cheap I will consider it, but if I'm going to pay close to top dollar I'd rather buy the new one.

I'm going to keep looking for another set that has what I need. If I can't find anything I guess I'll get the z906...

8. techguy31

Thanks Received:
    Do you really want a 5.1 set? I suggest that you get a Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 or a Logitech Z-5500 and a good sound card (HT Claro Plus). I have the Logitech Z-5500 as well as the Logitech Z-2300, and I can say that the Logitech Z2300 sounds a bit better on music because the Logitech Z-2300 has an op-amp which makes the two front channel speakers sound better. I am no audiophile, but I can say that the Logitech Z-2300 sounds way better than the Logitech Z-5500 when listening to music. If you watch movies mostly, the Logitech Z-2300 will also sound in par with the Logitech Z-5500. But what gives the Logitech Z-5500 the advantage is the extra surround that makes movies more immersive. In my opinion, if you are planning to spend at least $300-$400, just buy the a good sound card with a good op-amp and a 2.1 system, and it will be just as good as a 5.1 system (computer speakers). Honestly, using those the analog signal that comes out of a "GOOD SOUND CARD" sounds way better than those optical connections.

9. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    your going to need a sound card if you want to buy the Klipsch Promedia 2.1. Logitech and Creative might be the only brands that have internal decoding.