• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Need advice, relatively cutting edge machine for gaming w/ low power consumption

Golbez

I will build a system and use it for 3-4 years, depending on advances in gaming/graphics technology and the like. My last system I've been using for about 5 years, played WoW pretty well w/ one video upgrade during its lifetime... I consider myself an enthusiast, but I really don't build much more than one system for myself. Something that had me bummed out was the prospect of building a new gaming rig that would consume heaps of power. I'm not a greenfreak, just a cheap, relatively poor, Republican actually :) The US could get by using less energy... do what I can right?

The tipping factor was reading about the power consumption of a GTX 280 vs. a 285 video card. This card, right now, looks like it's about ohhh $100 more than a 280. It consumes 40 some-odd less watts, pretty significant over ~4 years.

So I'll put together a new, efficient, gaming rig that doesn't use a great deal of power. Likely a GTX 285 video card, a Core i7 920 processor, some motherboard (not sure which), SATA hard drive... yadda yadda... but what size of power supply to go with? And how should one determine the quality from the specifications?

Being cheap. I used to build my machines with "free after rebate" or otherwise cheap power supplies. One time, it exploded :) Rather not that happen again.

I browsed a couple hardware forums lately suggesting (correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not one for memory) that the most efficiency came from 78-85% peak load on a power supply?? Does one end up losing power or affecting the life of a power supply if they under-utilize it? Should I just slam a 750watt PC Power and Cooling Silencer in there, that happens to be on sale now? Suppose that'd future proof me in case I needed to SLI another video card in there (and kinda render my power consumption point moot, lol).

Golbez

Edit: Was going to say one power supply was king over another in efficiency but... Antec, Enermax, Seasonic all seem to be about the same

Last edited:
System Name Barb's Domain
Processor i9 10850k 5.1GHz all cores
Motherboard MSI MPG Z490 GAMING EDGE WIFI
Cooling Deep Cool Assassin III
Memory 2*16gig Corsair LPX DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) RTX 4080 FE
Storage 500gb Samsung 980 Pro M2 SSD, 500GB WD Blue SATA SSD, 2TB Seagate Hybrid SSHD
Display(s) Dell - S3222DGM 32" 2k Curved/ASUS VP28UQG 28" 4K (ran at 2k), Sanyo 75" 4k TV
Case SilverStone Fortress FT04
Audio Device(s) Bose Companion II speakers, Corsair - HS70 PRO headphones
Power Supply Corsair RM850x (2021)
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech Orion Spectrum G910
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/spy/34962882
I browsed a couple hardware forums lately suggesting (correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not one for memory) that the most efficiency came from 78-85% peak load on a power supply?? Does one end up losing power or affecting the life of a power supply if they under-utilize it? Should I just slam a 750watt PC Power and Cooling Silencer in there, that happens to be on sale now? Suppose that'd future proof me in case I needed to SLI another video card in there (and kinda render my power consumption point moot, lol).

Your gonna want a efficiency rating of atleast 80%. Seasonic make some of THE best PSU available today, Corsair and PC Power and Cooling PSUs are rebadged Seasonic PSUs. A Corsair or PC Power and Cooling 600 watt PSU will be enough for a single GTX280 or GTX285. The 750 watt PSU would be my recommendation for SLI GTX280 or GTX285 set up. You won't hurt anything but your wallet by having too much wattage(but only when you buy it, your system will only pull the wattage it needs to run)

Last edited: