1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Need best setting for Phenom X2 550BE

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by MohawkAngel, Dec 3, 2009.

1. MohawkAngel

MohawkAngel New Member

Thanks Received:
    I need to know what is the maximum stable setting for the Phenom X2 550Be socket AM3.
    Cant unlock it but i can surely overclock it :p
    Thx for help.
  2. kurosagi01

kurosagi01

Thanks Received:
    it all depends on your motherboard and cooling that determines maybe how high your cpu can clock,if you have a really high-end mobo you could probably clock it super high.
  3. MohawkAngel

MohawkAngel New Member

Thanks Received:
    if you took time to lok in my specs you would get the answer :p
  4. kurosagi01

kurosagi01

Thanks Received:
    well i don't know how well that motherboard will perform,but micro-ATX mobos aren't really much of an overclockers,maybe 4.2GHZ give or take.
  5. InTeL-iNsIdE Guest

4.2?? I very much doubt it, realistically you could shoot for 3.6 - 3.8 tops, try upping the multiplier in your bios before touching your bus speed, you will need a little vcore the higher you go, but you should be able to get a fairly decent oc without touching the bus, then you will have to look at changing bus speed, mem multi's and a foctor of other things if you want to go higher.
  6. nocrapman New Member

Thanks Received:
    So are you planning to OC this on a stock CPU cooler? I didnt notice otherwise in ur specs.
    What are your Idle temps?
    I am planning to push my 550 on stock air to see where i can get before upgrading the cooler.
  7. jjFarking

jjFarking New Member

Thanks Received:
    My 550BE (Callisto) is currently running @ 3618MHz (18x201). If I push it beyond that, even by just 1MHz, the system becomes unstable (even though it's rock solid at the current speed), no matter how much voltage I throw at it.
    I'm using the stock cooler, but that's not what the problem is - the CPU never gets anywhere near hot enough to be a factor in the equation.
    My guess is, that my CPU is simply incapable of running any faster - I found its ceiling & will have to be happy with it :cry:
  8. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    My 550 does 3.8 with both cores unlocked with just a vcore (1.475v) and multi bump, granted I got a lucky chip.
  9. TheShad0W New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm gonna be putting together a new PC for someone on monday with one of these chips in it, it'll have a scythe Mugen 2 cooler on it with Mx-3 paste, so hopefully I'll get some decent clocks out of it :D
  10. nocrapman New Member

Thanks Received:
    So I pushed this chip today with 2 cores and stock cooling. Goes right upto 3.7 without any issues. Going past it, I get shutdowns on Prime 95. But all the apps run fine. I havent gone past 3.8 though.
    Whats amazes me is that this thing doesnt get past 50C max on full load. Idles around 30-33C. Start contrast with my other Phenom 940 which has always run hot even on an after market cooler.