1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Need Help With Choosing Power Supply

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by MTL, Jun 8, 2006.

1. MTL New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm looking for a dirt cheap, yet efficient PS what has enough juice to power at least a 7900GT / X1800GTO. I don't have SLI so I don't need dual 12V....I think.

Tell me, what should I be looking for? Any specific connector or do all ATX 2.0 generation power supplies have a graphics card connector? Is it OK to have 1 ATX 12V Connector or do I need 2?

I have an MSI K8N Diamond Nforce4 Ultra Mobo and a 3200+ AMD64

Here are some I have been looking at:

Thermaltake: $45.00
    http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/product/Power/TR2power/w006970/w006970.asp

SPI:$33.00
    http://www.sparklepower.com/pdf/ATX-350PN.pdf

Powerup: $63.00

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2222641&CatId=0

JPC:$50.00

http://www.justpcusa.com/power-SATA450.htm

So there are my choices. My budget does not go above $65.00 Canadian.

If you have other suggestions, please DO NOT post links to Newegg as they do not deliver to Canada and the prices are nearly double if I try to find the same thing here.

2. bruins004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    To run either of those cards you would need a 400+W PSU.
    So already the Sparkle is out.
    It also recommends that you need at least 20A on the 12V line, which means the Thermaltake is out.
    And the other two brands I have never heard of before (hence not reliable).
    You should always (and I cant stress this enough) get a quality and well-known brand name PSU.
    This is bc a unknown PSU can fry your entire computer, so dont take that chance.

I suggest save up some more money so you can get a better and bigger PSU (like from Antec or OCZ) so you can upgrade in the future and not have to replace the PSU.
    Also, take a look at the Antec SmartPowers. They are relatively cheap.

3. Aevum

Thanks Received:
    there are several manufacturers which sell decent PSU´s (decent, not good, dont expect miracles), at decent price, levicom has a value line called Xilence, also theres fortron which makes decent PCU´s, theres HEC or Enhanced,

4. error_f0rce

error_f0rce New Member

Thanks Received:
    I agree with bruins, these are the best/cheap way to go. I just got an Antec SmartPower 2.0 500w from NewEgg 2 days ago for under $70, modular cabeling, all sleeved, it's looks and runs great:rockout: It look like it's only rated at 17A & 19A though, so I don't know about your graphics card. I'm running a Radeon X800 GTO on mine. The next step up would be an Antec TruePower 2.0 550w which has 19A on both rails, but will run you $100 and up. The latter is also SLi certified, should you ever choose that route in the future, you could keep the same PSU.

But I also echo what bruins said, DON'T GET A CRAPPY PSU or it will do this to your computer::nutkick:
    Hope this helps, save some money, get a good PSU!

5. MTL New Member

Thanks Received:
    How about my other questions?

Do I only need one 4-pin 12V connector on the PS if I want to run a 7900? Or should I be looking for one with a dedicated PCI-E connector?

6. MTL New Member

Thanks Received:
  7. overclocker

overclocker

Thanks Received:
    heres a good and cheap power supply http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1648064&Sku=TC3J-1048 its got 18A on the 12v nine it should have the juice you need.

8. MTL New Member

Thanks Received:
    There is something wrong with that descrption. It says it has 2 12V rails but looking at the pictures, the sticker says 1 12V @ 18A. Don't I need that line to power my processor?

9. markkleb Guest

choosing a PS is easy
    Rule 1- You get what you pay for.

Rule2- figure what you are gonna do(OC, SLI, lots of fans or lights)

Rule3- are you gonna upgrade later(if yes modular is cool)

First go here and figure how much power you need
    http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculator.jsp

Than buy a GOOD PS like a Silverstone, FSP, PC Power And Cooling or Seasonic

I use a Silverstone Strider 400 ($50)and that has plenty of power for the X1800GTO.

Remember cheap PS make less than they advertise and good ones make MORE than they advertise.

10. G.T

G.T New Member

Thanks Received:
    No it's not, it's dead simple....

Hiper Type-R

11. overclocker

overclocker

Thanks Received:
    ill sell u my 250W for 15$ lmao:D

12. MTL New Member

Thanks Received:
    So, can someone PLEASE tell me if I need 1 or 2 12V cords or a dedicated PCI-E cord for the cards????

13. markkleb Guest

did you read my post? I think I explained it pretty simple.

14. MTL New Member

Thanks Received:
    I read the WHOLE post on the frum linked to the site you directed me to and it still didn't tell me if I need a dedicated PCI-E connector.

15. markkleb Guest

Any of the PS that I recommended will be fine and the one G.T said too is fine. Unles you get a very good PS you will have to use a adaptor.

If its possible its better not to use adaptors.

16. MTL New Member

Thanks Received:
    Do most new video cards come with adaptors?

Is it a 4 to 6 pin adaptor or another kind?

17. bruins004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I guess just telling you the PSU to look for wasnt enough.
    So here is a link (I believe ZipZoomFly ships to Canada). http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=273502

This is one of the best brands you could get and is very reliable.
    You do not need a dedicated PCI-E to connect your video card, you can also use a 4 pin molex.

I suggest reading up more by the way and doing your research. PSUs are easy to pick out. Just do the following:

1. Make sure that there is enough AMPs on the 12V line since most of your devices draw from the 12V line (Should be at least over 20A these days, 30A if you want to upgrade a lot or OC).

2. Watts don't mean a thing. A 400W PSU can be more powerful than a 500W PSU. This is bc the 500W doesnt have a lot of amps on the 12V line. So watch out....

3. Make sure the PSU has under and over voltage safeties, like automatic shut off so your system doesnt get fried.

4. Make sure it is a known company like FSP, Antec, OCZ, PC Power and Cooling, Sparkle, Coolmax, etc.

5. Dont get a cheap PSU bc it will kill your system. If you see a PSU for $10....its $10 for a reason.

Thats the basics. Good luck

18. MTL New Member

Thanks Received:
    I see says the blind man. So its basically a 2 molex to 6-pin adaptor for higher end cards. So you have to hope you have at least 2 molex connectors free.

It doesn't matter what most of the other rails are because most of the components draw power from the 12V rail and that is why it should be above 20A. If there are 2 16A rails that means that the PS has a total of 32A for the 12V components,

I GET IT NOW!!!! YAY!!!

19. {JNT}Raptor

{JNT}Raptor New Member

Thanks Received:
    Dirt cheap PSU to power a $300+ video card on top of a Quality CPU Is Insane........PSU should one of the Most Important decisions you make when building your own High End system.....buy cheap....buy twice.........and more than likely you'll be buying more than a new PSU when the Dirt Cheap one goes.

You'll buy $1000 worth of parts.............and power It with a "Dirt Cheap" PSU???????..to each his own I guess.

I use the Antec True Control 2 550.....and would recommend It to anyone looking to future proof thier rig......$89 at NewEgg.