• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Need Help With Pricing on something....

System Name My Gaming System
Processor Intel i7 4770k @ 4.4 Ghz
Motherboard Asus Maximus VI Impact (ITX)
Cooling Custom Full System Water cooling Loop
Memory G.Skill 1866 Mhz Sniper 8 Gb
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 780 ti SC
Storage Samsung SSD EVO 120GB - Samsung SSD EVO 500GB
Display(s) ASUS W246H - 24" - widescreen TFT active matrix LCD
Case Bitfenix Prodigy
Power Supply Corsair AX760 Modular PSU
Software Windows 8.1 Home Primeum
My friend and I both purchased i7 860's about a month ago. Now we are both considering selling them because that is what we do. Buy parts then sell them to get new parts.

But my question is??? What is a fair price for these CPU's right now if either he or I decide to actually sell?

The last i7 860 I had I was the 3rd owner. So I sold that one for $180 Shipped. But because these would be basically new plus being retail with hardly any warranty time used up. Plus they were not really used and abused yet..... What would be a fair price?

Please give me straight answers.... to aid me in this. Also please don't ask to Google this answer. Because I have and I found allot of i7 870 and i7 875k second hand for sale but not so many i7 860's.

Also please if there are any other inquires on buying these chips or mine. Don't do it here... either wait till the for sale thread goes up or PM me... I don't want to get in trouble or break the rules I really just need opinions. To help aid his and my Decision.

Thanks

Last edited:
System Name Ryzen Reynolds
Processor Ryzen 1600 - 4.0Ghz 1.415v - SMT disabled
Motherboard mATX Asrock AB350m AM4
Cooling Raijintek Leto Pro
Memory Vulcan T-Force 16GB DDR4 3000 16.18.18 @3200Mhz 14.17.17
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ 4GB RX 580 - 1450/2000 BIOS mod 8-)
Storage Seagate B'cuda 1TB/Sandisk 128GB SSD
Display(s) Acer ED242QR 75hz Freesync
Case Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-01
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair VS 550w
Mouse Zalman ZM-M401R
Keyboard Razor Lycosa
Software Windows 10 x64
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/spy/6220813
If you buy and sell a lot of parts, you shouldn't really need to ask, generally anything around 80% of the new price would sound about right, perhaps even a tad more, dpends where you sell it, you would probably fetch more on ebay than TPU as users on here can shop around for the bargains so you need to price it right, on ebay, a lot of used components generally tend to go for upto 90% of the retail value....

Case Bitfenix Prodigy
If you buy and sell a lot of parts, you shouldn't really need to ask, generally anything around 80% of the new price would sound about right, perhaps even a tad more, dpends where you sell it, you would probably fetch more on ebay than TPU as users on here can shop around for the bargains so you need to price it right, on ebay, a lot of used components generally tend to go for upto 90% of the retail value....

Well because I haven't done it for awhile I have been storing up parts worth selling.

The reason I ask though is with the release of new cpu's tomorrow or a day from now I wanted other opinions. Kind of to see if the price would really drop that much.

I don't want to under cut myself either

but thanks for the response

***Edit ****

Something like $210 to $220 sound about right?

Last edited:
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Zalman ZM-M401R
Keyboard Razor Lycosa
Software Windows 10 x64
Well because I haven't done it for awhile I have been storing up parts worth selling.

The reason I ask though is with the release of new cpu's tomorrow or a day from now I wanted other opinions. Kind of to see if the price would really drop that much.

I don't want to under cut myself either

but thanks for the response

Prices won't drop that quick, look at the Q9** 775 chips and the core i series has been out a good while now, if you sell it in the next month or 2 it will retain its value because Sandy Bridge prices won't drop any time soon, hang on to it for longer and it may lost a bit of value, but truth be told it is a kick ass chip and I imagine even selling it 6 months from now would net you a decent price.

Some people will have i3 and not want to shell out on a new mobo, that's where the quad i5 and i7's will keep there value imo :toast:

Case Bitfenix Prodigy
Prices won't drop that quick, look at the Q9** 775 chips and the core i series has been out a good while now, if you sell it in the next month or 2 it will retain its value because Sandy Bridge prices won't drop any time soon, hang on to it for longer and it may lost a bit of value, but truth be told it is a kick ass chip and I imagine even selling it 6 months from now would net you a decent price.

Some people will have i3 and not want to shell out on a new mobo, that's where the quad i5 and i7's will keep there value imo :toast:

It's not so much only SB I am looking at right now.... But I also have a buddy who is thinking on parting with his 1336 set up to me really cheap. He is a good friend and it fairly new. So since it is my B-Day weekend I am kind of on the upgrade bug looking to possibly give myself a B-Day present.

It's not so much only for upgrade or side grade it's more for something new to play with.

Just looking at my options right now for some new toys. Plus I have a few other things to sell. So this thread is just to help me debate whether I want to do it or not.

Price of what I could get for the chip comes in with a big factor on that.

But you got a major point on that i3 set up thing. That makes lots of sense! :toast:

Plus even if I don't sell mine my buddy still might his so I am kind of asking for both of us.... But you have given me a good enough answer I think we could close the thread if a moderator wanted too. Thanks again bud.

Last edited:
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Zalman ZM-M401R
Keyboard Razor Lycosa
Software Windows 10 x64
To be honest, the only reason to move from an i7 860 to an i7 9** would be for e-peen and tri-sli/crossfire, if your not bothered about either of those then i would stick where you are, heck if its a free upgrade(sidegrade) then why not but I really wouldnt spend any money on it as the i7 8** series perform on par and out-do some of the 1366 i7 9** chips......

1366 is nice, I know I have had 2 1366 rigs, but I can honestly say, even my i5 760 without HT feels as fast and snappy as my i7 920 D0, and some good DDR3 dual channel will keep up with the tri-channel in a 1366 rig.

Just some food for thought, though I know what it's like when the itch takes hold lol, doesn't matter how good your rig, sometimes you just want to try something new cause you can :laugh: :toast:

Case Bitfenix Prodigy
To be honest, the only reason to move from an i7 860 to an i7 9** would be for e-peen and tri-sli/crossfire, if your not bothered about either of those then i would stick where you are, heck if its a free upgrade(sidegrade) then why not but I really wouldnt spend any money on it as the i7 8** series perform on par and out-do some of the 1366 i7 9** chips......

1366 is nice, I know I have had 2 1366 rigs, but I can honestly say, even my i5 760 without HT feels as fast and snappy as my i7 920 D0, and some good DDR3 dual channel will keep up with the tri-channel in a 1366 rig.

Just some food for thought, though I know what it's like when the itch takes hold lol, doesn't matter how good your rig, sometimes you just want to try something new cause you can :laugh: :toast:

Yeah I have built a few 1336 rigs for customers. They weren't all that impressive compared. But I liked the freedom of more upgrades in the future with them allot. Plus when benching against my friend with that 1336 set up we were neck an neck almost the whole way. The only time he pulled a head was when he enabled his 3rd GTX 470.

Still not 100% sure on not selling it yet.... but you have most definitely been a big help bud. So If I chose too or my friend did.... Does $210 to $220 shipped sound about right??? That was what I had in mind originally anyway.

JrRacinFan

Served 5k and counting ...
System Name Dual Build Streamer
Processor Ryzen 7900x3d : Ryzen 4600G
Motherboard AsRock B650E Steel Legend : Giga B450i Aorus
Cooling Custom Water 1x420 : Stock
Memory 32GB T-Force Deltas : 16GB Dominator Platinums
Video Card(s) PowerColor 7900 XTX Liquid Devil: iGPU
Storage 20+ TB
Display(s) Sammy 49" 5k Ultrawide
Case Custom White Painted Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2
Audio Device(s) Onboard : Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1200W P2
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB Elite White
Keyboard Hyperx Origins 65
Software Windows 10
$200. Just for example, look at the 2nd hand pricing of i7 9x0's :)

Case Bitfenix Prodigy
$200. Just for example, look at the 2nd hand pricing of i7 9x0's :)

Yeah I suppose.... I saw the 920's going for about the $220 or so. Although.... Not sure why the price difference since the share the same core structure. But I could live with about that price. Thanks guys

forthewinwin

Personally, as a shopper Ide be attracted to purchasing an used product at no more than roughly 70% of it's new price. I wouldn't pay 80-90%.
Think about it from the buyer's perspective: You're buying something that has been used before rather than getting the warm fuzzy feeling from opening a new box..

Just my 2 cents. :p

Additionally, from my experience, I found that sometimes by just decreasing my price by just $10-20, the product sold a lot more quicker. I convinced myself that I could save that $10-20 (i.e. make up for it) by not eating out for that week or skipping 2-3 mornings at Starbucks. Of course my opinion may not correspond to your situation as well because I'm still not up-to-date with the latest CPU (the last thing I was aware of was when i3, i5, and i7 first came out).