1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Need working OOTB DB wifi n card

Discussion in 'Linux / BSD / Mac OS X' started by Killer_Rubber_Ducky, Apr 21, 2013.

1. Killer_Rubber_Ducky

Killer_Rubber_Ducky

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys,

i just built an XBMbuntu box using the AMD A4-5300 APU and need a good Wireless N PCIe card (pref) that is preferably Dual Band. It should be reliable and work out of the box with ubuntu 12.10. I have been wrestling with the Dlink DWA-125 usb Rev:A2 adapter and have gone so far as to custom roll the drivers from RALink as well as custom roll the install of XBMC on top of ubuntu 12.10 x64 minimal. I always run into issues so, I need to get a hold of a good adapter card that works out of the box so I can go back to the XBMCbuntu installs. I don't want to spend a lot of money on the adapter card. 'cause after that i need to find a good controller for the system.

2. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Most Atheros based wi-fi adapters will be supported in Ubuntu out of the box. That would be a good place to start. Once you find an adapter just Google it to see if it is supported. Intel wi-fi adapters tend to be supported as well. Just find something that looks good and check to see if it's supported. It's a hit or miss but you shouldn't have to go through too many before you find one that is supported.

Also keep in mind that a lot of broadcom based adapters require proprietary drivers to get running and may not work out of the box.

Do you have room for a PCI-E 1x card or does it have to be mini pci-e?

3. Killer_Rubber_Ducky

Killer_Rubber_Ducky

Thanks Received:
    It is an micro tax board on fm2 socket. No minipcie

4. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    There was a TPLink card for 30 or 40 dollars on Newegg the other day where most Ubuntu users said it worked out of the box.

Here it is: TP-LINK TL-WDN4800 Wireless N Dual Band Adapter IE...
    Supports 450Mbit both bands and it's currently 45 USD.

Killer_Rubber_Ducky says thanks.
  5. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    The TP Link one Aquinus referenced is a Atheros AR9380 based adapter/ Source: 1

Last edited: Apr 21, 2013
    Aquinus says thanks.
  6. Killer_Rubber_Ducky

Killer_Rubber_Ducky

Thanks Received:
    I just ordered an Intel 2200BNHMWDTX1 PCI Express x1 Centrino Advanced-N 2200 card off newegg for 25USD. Intel support so hopefully it will work right now. I just hope I don't run into more problems getting wifi to work. Worst case scenario, I return the card and pick up an Wireless access point and hook it up that way.

7. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Best of luck but I was being very serious when I said Atheros chipsets are the best for Ubuntu.

Let us know how it goes, but if I were you and it doesn't work, return it and get the TP-Link card. You know it's going to work in your use case, so there is no worrying about it. Heck, I almost even want to get it now to replace my AE2500. You're going to be hard pressed to find a 3x3 MIMO adapter for both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz on a cheap access point so I wouldn't recommend it unless you need a wireless network bridge for other devices.

Killer_Rubber_Ducky says thanks.
  8. Killer_Rubber_Ducky

Killer_Rubber_Ducky

Thanks Received:
    Well, I went with the Intel since they have a universal driver for Linux and my old Linux laptop running Ubuntu had an Intel 2200 centrino BG card in it that worked ootb. Plus the router my folks have is kinda crappy belkin that can barely handle the streaming load. I almost sprung for the TP but I'm short on cash so I went inexpensive first.
    L

9. fisheater

fisheater

Thanks Received:
    . . . and the router . . .

Before buying a router, look this one over

10. Killer_Rubber_Ducky

Killer_Rubber_Ducky

Thanks Received:
    It works like a chart ootb

Aquinus says thanks.